Ventilation Options - Vortex fan too loud

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by huafiuw24, Mar 20, 2013.

1. I'm starting my first indoor grow and the fan I got is way too loud. I'm growing in my closet, in a tent, and I don't want it to be audible at all from outside my room, and especially not from my roommate's room which is a foot away from my closet and fan. I bought a 600w light, a 6' vortex fan, and a big carbon filter. Even with some foam padding as insulation and the carbon filter and duct hooked up, the fan can be easily heard outside my room. I'm considering building this (http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yours...fying-stanley-blower-cooling.html#post7453073). Since my roommate sleeps with a fan on anyway the sound shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I'd rather not have noise coming from my closet 24/7 if I can avoid it. What are my options for cooling a 600w HPS light silently?

2. i had a siutation similar in certain ways and i ended up with the hydrofarm 400 cfm instead of s&p whisperline. i use a speed controller which i dim to 40% and still can be heard with a slight rumble of air within my room. id say best luck would be with a hydrofarm 4inch 165 cfm fan and put that on speed controller. tape ducting going from wall near open window which will then be pulled through a fan into more ducting through a cooltube or boxlight then out other side into another room or pushed to other side of room so that cool air is always bringing temperature down of the light.