Ventilation & Odor Control concept for my Closet Grow (Including "blueprint")

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by gribz, Oct 1, 2008.

1. I just purchased a 400W MH Light and it's time to go purchase my air exchange goodies soon to get the closet ready for the extra heat that's on the way. I made a materials list and think I have an overall good concept for circulating the air in my closet.

1 concern I had was the Carbon Filter (which I really do not have any extra cash for right now) I was wondering if you can purchase in-line / pass-thru filters with which more exhausting can be connected to the other end? I would prefer to build a DIY one but wanted to know if this would have any adverse affects because I always see them as the end cap to the exhaust system.

The Diagram should be self explanatory I tried to do a decent job of making it easy to understand, with my materials/parts list I think it might be even more clear how I intend to do it as well. Any advice on making an inexpensive carbon filter that would integrate how I want it would be great as well.

COMPONENTS:

EXHAUST to ATTIC

(1) 14" x 8" to 8" Universal Register Box $06.34

(1) 8" 500CFM 110V In-Line Duct Fan $35.99

(1) 8" 2-ft Round Metal Pipe $04.67

INTAKE thru DOOR

(1) 4" x 10" Plastic Floor Register $05.48

(1) 4" x 10" to 6" Universal Register Box $05.87

(1) 6" In-Line Duct Booster Fan $27.97

(1) 6" x 8-ft Semi Rigid Aluminum Duct $11.97

I guess the Register Box shown above the grow light isn't 100% necessary, but I think it will act almost like a range hood like in a kitchen. It's basically just there to be a larger collector for the air before it actually enters the metal pipe leading to my attic.

Thoughts, Suggestions, Problems?

Attached Files:

2. That will work but it might even be overkill from a CFM standpoint. The general rule of thumb is you want to exhange all the air in your space every five minutes. You could probably get away with half of that unless it's a REALLY big closet. Aside from that I like your plans, and it certainly won't hurt anything to have more airflow than you need. It'll definitely help keep temps in line.

3. Excellent, that's what I wanted to know... I will drop down on the fans a bit to save $10-20.

4. Ok now I'm all confused. I too thought that this was the case but after a few searches, I found that many said that you should exchange the air multiple times per minute. The reason for this is the fact that the heat build up from the lights will create a temperature issue which in turn requires a higher replenishment rate.

Please let me know if I have it wrong as it's getting time to start buying equipment.

Thanks!

5. It really depends on the space, lights, configuration, etc. An 8x3x8 closet, for example, is only 192 sq feet. Even a 4" inline fan at 170 CPM would change that out in just over a minute. Like I said if heat is going to be a concern more doesn't hurt.

6. ive got a 4x2x8 closet using a 400w hps in the room. it has been a little hot so i got a 6" in line fan
    you guys think this will solve my heat issues?