Ventilation Ideas for 4x2x5 Grow Tent

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by QWER1234, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Hey Everyone-

Looking for some help with ventilation in my grow tent. I see a lot of post with folks having issues with high temps. My equipment so far:

GYO 4x2x5 and have 6 inch duct holes
    400 w MH Light with the normal (not ac) daystar reflector

I plan on putting the tent in the basement in an old laundry room (stays at 69-70 degrees) that has a 4 inch exhaust vent to the outside. I am looking into an inline fan and carbon filter for the tent. I thought about trying to seal my reflector but have been told it's almost impossible to seal it and would have large odor leakage. To cool the tent I was considering an oversized filter and fan:

LED wholesalers GYO2301 6-Inch Hydroponic Carbon Air Filter 470 CFM With Air Scrubber Oder Control
    Hydrofarm Active Air 6 inch In-Line Fan 400 CFM
    Hydrofarm Duct Fan Speed Adjuster

If this didn't sufficiently lower the temps, I thought of adding another filter and fan strictly for the light, leaving the filter on the end of the exhaust outside the tent as the reflector would most likely have leaks. I was also considering mounting the fan outside the tent near the laundry vent (approx 2-3 feet away), is there any problem with that. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. I have a 600 watt hps in an air cooled reflector, I cool it with a 500 cfm fan filter combo. I pump directly out of the house. Keeps plenty cool.

3. My issue though is my reflector is not air cooled, they sell a cooling kit for it but was told my reflector would be almost impossible to seal and would have odor leakage.

4. Architect-

Is this the combo you use?

New Hydropronic 6" Inline Fan With Carbon Filter Combo Odor Control Air Quiet

5. Any other thoughts?

6. I currently have the DAUN Daystar Reflector, I have been told it would be hard to seal this reflector completely. Anyone have experience or knowledge if the cooling kits seals this reflector? Thanks.

7. [quote name='"QWER1234"']I currently have the DAUN Daystar Reflector, I have been told it would be hard to seal this reflector completely. Anyone have experience or knowledge if the cooling kits seals this reflector? Thanks.[/quote]

Sealed reflectors only really matter if you are using co2. Mine is sealed but as long as the fan is pushing through the reflector smell issues shouldn't be a problem. If you don't want an air cooled reflector then throw a few extra oscillating fans in the tent.

8. Airflow is key

9. Thanks Architect