Ventilation FAQ

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bohbo, May 4, 2010.

1. My exhaust fan is rated for 600 CFM. I am probably pulling in 250 to 300 CFM of air through a passive intake. Will adding an AC unit that has a maximum rating of 700 CFM add any positive pressure to the room or because it's only circulating the air it wouldn't make a difference.

2. hey i have a grow tent.. have exhaust fans and all but of course I have to bring air into the tent to being with right? Does this mean I need some sort of intake fan that sucks air in from outdoors or something? How should I set that up? The tent is 4x8

3. Awesome read guys. Just wanted to chime in on one thing. IMHO, it is better you push air through your hoods then pull. Your hoods will stY cleaner and you won't pull odor from the room. It only takes a small air leak for BIG smell. For this reason, I push through my hoods with clean outside air and no longer have odor issues. Hope it helps.

4. I leave the rear flap open on the bottom of my tents. Then cool the hood with a carbon scrubber and fan that blow through the hood and out of the tent. Simple setup! Hope that helps

5. #1365 dirty hydro, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    hey since this is active a bit i wanted to ask i have about a 3x6x7'7 veg area and about 5x8x7'7 flower room. in the picture i have the AC blowing cold air onto the 1000w hps that eventually will be on rails, will not be on rails at first though.. in the veg area i have a t5. my question is could i recirculate the hottest air in the flower room into the veg room so that i dont have to buy two separate filters and exhaust two rooms as shown in the pic. i already have two active air 6 inch. if this would not work so well my other thought was to run the two different exhausts but i would have a small half inch hole by the green intake arrow between rooms in reference to the pic...idk sorry if i dont make sense half asleep rn..what would you do? the only window i can exhaust out of is in the flower room sorta where it shows in the pic so if i run two separate exhausts the veg exhaust needs to go into the flower room

Attached Files:

6. So I have two fans,
    315cfm hyperfan (very nice) and a larger 450cfm. Both are 6in. I have 6in carbon filter. A large one. A 8x4x6.5 tent. Doing the math (I suck at) looks pike I need a base of at least 36cfm for fresh air. Covered. Double it to compensate for the filter, covered. Now my big question is I want to use co2, I figured I could run my hyperfan on a low setting pulling air through the hoods. 1000w and a 600w. And then use the 450cfm for ventilation and pulling through my filter. If I set my timer to only pull through my filter at night when my fans are normally off, I would eliminate sucking th Co2 out of the room. Co2 timed only for a few hours during the day period. This has been racking my brain, trying to come up with a way to make it work. Could really use some help. I know that would give me no negative pressure during the day so..... Idk might have to skip out on c02?

7. OKAY since my last post i have done tons of research on how to set rooms up. i even answered my own question up there. i wanted to say this to you AnonymousBuds, the plants dont use the co2 unless the lights are on(please someone correct me if im wrong). so if you want to get some co2 in your room id just buy couple of those co2 bags or co2 bottles and place them opposite side of your filter.

8. Yes that what I've done before but not in a room where I was pulling so much air and so much negative pressure. A bag of Co2 isn't cheap and if I'm sucking out 450 cfms I don't want to waste it. It's not like the c02 is going to just sit on the other side of the room when my fans are blowing it around. And yes I know plants are only feed g and absorbing co2 during the day. To just say put it on the other side of a tent doesn't make any sence.

9. I've been growing for about 4 years. Have 5 books at home. I do lots of research and have been a member for years. But occasionally I come across something I need help on or with. Growing in tents is not what I've ever done before 3 months ago. I think it sucks, and it's across go lot harder.

10. is pulling fresh air from outside an absolute must ? im getting a window fan soon for next round to suck air from outside and letting the intake suck that in.. bcuz having a duct out the window would look sketch in my case..

right now I just have the mesh vent right by the house air vent and sucking that into the tent.. I have a cheapo 4′’ booster that im using for exhaust instead of my ventech inline 4′’ which is too loud

would the vortex be a better inline to go with ? im thinking of upgrade to 6′’ for my 4x4.

11. Hey could I use duct tape or a duct clamp to connect my filter to my inline fan?

12. pulling air from outside is not a good idea as the temp and humidity will fluctuate where as the air inside the home remains mostly constant. so scrub the air via a carbon filter and have the window fan facing out. I'm not sure of your grow space but I would guess that your 4" is sufficient. to double check look at the cfm listing on the fan and compare to the cf of your grow tent. so if you lack a filter your money is better spent on say a 4"/6" phresh filter rather than a 6" fan

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ventilation to a chimney, I would say this is ideal?

14. #1375 herbsivore, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    would i need more then ventilation when it comes to one 600watt?
    with an ambient temperature of 75*

15. #1376 herbsivore, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
    if i have two tents next to eachother a flower and veg, and hps in both of them with hooded ventilation, does that mean i need 4 exhaust holes? 2 for the lights and 2 for the room?
    that seems excessive, any other way?

16. i need some help. budget sucks, which doesnt matter to me cause i dont have one.lol i am running a 600 watt hps. thought i could keep temp down with fans and air conditioning. nope. i have some 4 inch ducting and a 8 inch basic fan. if i tape this up to work as exhaust and use fan to pull air from in reflector of hps, will i get a difference/help with temp? any other ideas with cheap, very cheap or household stuff i could use?

17. I've skimmed through the main post. Excuse me if I missed something in the 70 pages. Was not feeling that ambitious. I have a decent understanding of how things work. I was an HVAC helper for a couple of years. I am having trouble wrapping my head around this. I understand that not having any real intake creates negative pressure and that eliminates odor. That is such a simple but genius concept. I would have never thought about that on my own. I guess what I'm really saying is...

All I would really need to do is rig up an exhaust fan to a carbon filter? Or is that a gross oversimplification?

Would it be a blower sucking air thru a carbon filter... Thru a piece of flexible duct... Exhausting into the attic? Is it really that simple or am I dumb and missing something?

Thanks for the help.

Would be running leds... No ballast to cool. *edit

18. u can do it many ways. u can filter through carbon and exhaust back in room to scrub u can exhaust outside if heat is an issue or send it to somewhere u want warmer, like bedroom

19. So that would eventually be an air filter only? If it's exhausting to itself how does that create negative pressure? Odor would be my main concern.