Ventilating my grow closet

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by qbsillest1, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Alright so I have a closet with sliding doors approximately 8x8x3. In it I am using an Apollo 400w my/hps. I have a little 6'' fan blowing fresh air onto the babies. Closet door stays open at all times as well as my windows to keep everything cool. Right now I have a 105cfm inline fan being shipped to me which I will use to suck out the hot air.

My plan was to cut a hole into one of the sliding doors towards the top to attach the exhaust ducting to for the rising heat same side as the light and plants.

Do I need to cut another hole for intake or are the cracks in the closet doors enough to suck in cooler air?

Should i try to seal up these cracks to create more suction?

There is an obvious science to this.....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

2. I don't think that fan will be enough to cool your light, especially if it's an open hood. Unless you're piping in cold air or something.

Your intakes should be double the area of your exhaust. A 6" fan should have 2x 6" passive intakes or about 60 sq in total.

The only reason you would want to make your grow airtight is if you're adding co2.

3. Damn. Would that fan be sufficient for air cooling my light then?

And there will be cool air being drawn in if I keep a window open during the fall and winter so that's an option....

Tell me what you suggest I do with the equipment I have....

4. I would just get a 6" 400 cfm fan/filter and be done with it. Winter temps only last a few months.

100 cfm might cool a 150w, if you're looking to expand your grow you could have separate veg and flower areas. That way you're not wasting the equipment you already bought. I honestly don't think there's an effective use for a 100 cfm fan in your current setup.

5. Well I guess I will return it and step up to a bigger fan!

6. I would get a piece of plywood, cut it to ten inch thick strip (and however long you need for your closet) and install your fan in that. You simply pinch the piece of plywood between the sliding door and the wall, little bit of mounting hardware and then you dont have to ruin a closet door for your grow.

7. Im actually pondering the idea of making a grow box out of plywood. Then i can mount the fan on the top.