vent: take three on sprouting

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kaBLAM, Sep 18, 2009.

1. so much for me being a gardener and knowing what to do and blah blah blah

the weed seed has humbled me.

i'm beginning round three. at this point i'm gonna run out of bag seed.

(actually that's practically impossible.)

:rolleyes::mad::(

2. What's your method? Perhaps if you explain what you are doing we can tell if there is anything wrong.

Yet another great reason to start with bagseed.

Good luck.

3. the first time i just stuck them in the ground...but i didn't have proper lighting and they never really moved passed the seedling stage. veeeeery slowed growth. after a month and some more lights i decided to just start over again with new seeds.

the last time i used the paper towel method...which worked for weeding out the crappy seeds (some of these are years and years old!!). But then I planted the germinated seeds in peat moss which gave the illusion of being moist on the outside, but when i dug them up after a week to see what was going on, they were either all moldy from being TOO wet, or the peat moss had dried and they were shriveled and dead. i think part of the problem is i had also buried some of them too deeply. the few that did sprout came up without their shells on the cotyledons and never uncurled.

this time i am going to use the paper towel method again, but i am going to plant them in plain soil, not too deeply, keeping sufficient light on them.

should be easy, right? ;)

4. paper towel method worked well for me. I let the seed sprout (in a damp paper towel inside of a sandwich baggie) in the darkness of my drawer for a day or two then popped it in some dirt. Then i placed the whole pot back into my drawer until the leaves peeked out (only another day or so). only after the leaves broke ground did i place them under the light. the way i see it, the sprout wants to find the light...putting it in the dark lets it search then you reward the plant with light once it sprouts!

5. I feel ya on the failures of bag seed. I ended up getting all angry and sending all of my bag seed into germ. It was like 20 seeds and from that I pulled the 3 best. Good luck!

6. Some trouble with me.. Been about 5 days i think since germination.. Still waiting to sprout soil... If havnt done so in 7 days, ima try again..

7. Throw your seeds into a cup of water, put the cup into a dark place, and let sit for 24 hours. After 24 hours take the seeds out of the cup, and sandwhich between a wet paper towel. Should sprout 24 to 48 hours after that. Place seed into soil half an inch deep, should sprout out of the soil in a day or two.