vent problems. ^^ nobody has answers?? pics included

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by dford, Apr 27, 2011.

1. #1 dford, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
    week three of this lil badass OGKUSH. her temps are all jacked up though. in the attached picture you can see i have vent tubing covering a six dollar wal mart fan, four inch blad type. i used duct tape, because at this point to be honest, i dont give a damn about looks, i just need to get the temp to a manageable range BEFORE flower coming soon... back to the point, the venting is attached to the make shift hood with a hole in it to "suck" heat off the lighting. i also have a fan to blow the heated air into the hood/hole/venting... i also have two passiveintake holes (covered by the lower right fan) that allow cool air to come in and be "sucked" "blown" "squoze" "toked" whatever cool the friggin box, but no. after three weeks, i can't get this stupid box to keep cool.

lil miss suzy ogkush deserves better. can anyone help her, please. she's burnin up in there man!!!!:(

....and yes before anyone says, try taking out a light, that does/could work. but i have/don't want to sacrifice light because something so simple could be fixed with the right knowledge. ... ANYONE??

2. Do you have a fan connected to that ducting to exhaust the hot air?

3. sure do kind sir. the six dollar four inch wal mart kind attached to the upper back wall originally but decided the heat wasn't getting sucked out from so an open area. so i covered it and centralized the area using bernoulis principal this should work. could it be the exhaust fan altogether?? it is the same, modified of course, as the fan in the bottom right of the picture.

... i was just reading your other "advice" with the dude who has/had 7g's for a setup. sounds like you have much wisdom. lets hope it serves well here :D

4. to the right where the light looks like jesus may appear out of nowhere in that bright light. to the right of the al mighty we see a small portion of yet another fan to blow the air into the friggin hole. i'm at a loss. i even purchased an air conditioner to cool the damn thing, yet i figured i was going to do that, i was going to grow out the entire room. but in order to do that i would need to get a divorce, or a somewhere else... all in all i've tried a lot of stuff. temps usually run about +10-+15 ambient. ambient being around 74ish

5. uhmm ya, so would this thread, the stanley in line mod be excessive for what i have??? also, will it provide any cooling attributes other than the obvious exhaust heat/cool exchange

6. alrighty, if anyone else is reading/following this, well i feel like a complete moron right now. basically i've read all the forums on setup, nutes, dts readings, lucas formula, lighting, and pretty much all the good stuff you all are reading... including venting for a micro grow.

happy/sad/ironic news ladies and gents. there are two fans we can see in my picture. the third is attached to the top back wall of the box. well basically, i've been reading all the forums on axial computer fans, never thought to actually look for one. let alone radio shack. sooo i purchased two 120mm fans sucking something like 85cfm. don't quote me on that. anyhow... I TOOK OUT ALL THREE FANS, replaced it with ONE AXIAL COMPUTER FAN. and now my TEMPS ++++ HUMIDITY SIT F'ING PERFECT.

i think that about does it for this thread. any tomatoes, cabbage or lettuce and anything else you feel needs to be thrown my way due to complete retardation, feel free. i also save on power costs. and i like it

7. At least you got it. All that matters: it works, girl is happy, and your happy. I recommend the stanley fan alot cause it works, and is damn cheap. People think it generates a lot of noise then make upgrades to centrifigual fans and notice they are MUCH louder than the stanley.

So for under $50 shipped off of Amazon (about 60 modded), you cannot beat its power, noise, and longevity. And yes it would be overkill in your situation now, but what if you upgrade to HID lighting? It will grow with you.

8. Yes at least I got it. and the stanley DIY is awesome. there are different models though, no? are they basically the same thing??

i'm growing in this little cabinet for the time being to get the feel for it all. i have a pretty good understanding, i even picked up Ed Rosenthals Marijuana Growers handbook, Oaksterdam study material... i'll be learning the hydro ppm/pH with this little fella.

400W Switchable ballast with the stanley and about three more plants would make me soooo:D

i'm thinkin of buyin the stanley just to tinker with it for now.
    you say its quite ??? like for real quite or does it still sound fairly industrial?? sorry for the novel :smoke:

9. can we see a pic with your new fans and what kind did you get

10. Glad you figured it out, i was going to say problem is probably 1 of 2 things. Duct tape peeling off and losing the seal (when it heats up and dries out it cracks). Or your fan, personally I am surprised a PC fan did the job. Most I have been able to get on an 80mm is maybe 40 watts. 120 would be better scythe makes a nice powerful quiet PC fan.

If you get an HPS you definitely want to get a bigger fan though even on a 250W

11. Alrighty. So, it has been two days since I have purchased the fans and a TDS stick (off topic, but i IMMEDIATELY saw results after adjusting PPMs near perfect)

so this is after all my first grow. the learning curve is incredibly steep. yes, the duct tape sucks to seal edges of cabinets. the only reason i did this was to cut costs a little buy purchasing a second hand cabinet at goodwill rather than build my own, which i will do for my next grow. ANYHOW.
    [​IMG]
    ghetto job on this too. haha. as you can see, i took out the vent ducting from the hood/old exhaust. removed old exhaust, screwed into place then sealed edges with duct tape. by this time i don't really care much about the appearance of the exhaust due to many many factors. ONE mostly being that i got tired of tinkering with all of it to get the temps to lower. (i didn't know this fan would work so well or else i may have actually taken my time :/ )
    [​IMG]
    and this is the fan i used. i bought two of them. 10 dollars a piece .. pff i would have gladly paid that a couple weeks ago. 2000RPMs and 78CFM. only 78CFM is taking care of 238 watts put out from CFL. i put more in there at night or less during the day depending.
    i used an old phone charger, 12.5v, and it rocks the boat for real. i'm thinking i need a speed knobby for it though. it be nice to leave the same amount of bulbs 24/7 rather than switching. anyhow though. enjoi.

12. Use duct tape the kind used by hvac guys....15 dollars a roll, worth it...and its reflective

13. I thought about buying something like that. I wanted to pick up some "insulated reflective tape" if it were possible also to wrap around my bucket. the paint doesn't stickk so well....

thanx for the help.