vegging with 24 hours of light

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by liteonaesthetic, Nov 26, 2006.

1. I have a flood and drain and an aeroponics set up. I have a 400 hps with 3 CF's. I'm running the aeroponics 24 hours and the flood and drain table is going 12 times a day. The lights are going to be on 24 hours a day. I wonder if this will work well.

2. some people swear by 24/7, other insist 18/6 is the way to go. whatever you end up choosing, they both work.

3. alright, sounds good.

4. In Jorge Cervantes' book, he says more light makes more males. For my vegging period, I have chosen 16/8, while he even uses 14/10. Anyways, just a little info.

5. If you ask me, I think there is a small differnce between 24/7 and 18/6 however the amount of electricity you would save would probably make up for any tiny amount of growing speed it adds.

6. well here again a myth. plant sex is predetermined prior to planting.

both work, its a preference, some people like how 18/6 allows the plant a lil rest for root growth. also 18/6 gives the area time to cool down and help control heat issues.

7. Hey just to let you know man Cannabis culture says that the sex of a cannabis plant is ALWAYS changeable. Just thought you should know. -PEACE

8. That's the same with most plants though...

9. i dont believe everything i read on the internet!

10. sure wish i knew how to change a male to a female.

11. I guess thats how i got a hermie then. mother^%^(*%^& predetermined seeds screwed me over:mad: ... Or maybe it was because my babies went through so much shock that they just changed:confused: :D . Plant sex is NOT predetermined, but you can maximize the chances of which sex you prefer, through genetics. After they sprout though its up to the enviroment:love: including the plant.

12. you guys can believe what you want, theres no way any of you can say that you can "change" the sex of a plant from male to female and vice versa... its assinine to make such claims.

hermies are a different story, and because im not a botanist ive got no scientific explanation for you guys, but you cant change a baby girl to a boy in the womb...

13. As far as the sex of a plant....the plant is Male or Female at the time of germination.....now Mj is a weed and a very strong one at that.....thru thousands of years of evolution has a built in "Survival Mechanism" that allows it to buy its self 2 sometimes 3 more growing seasons to pass on its genetics.....that is its ability to fertilize itself and carry its genes and only its sex on in seed form.....time,drought,heat,flood,or a cold snap will do this in the wild.....stress will cause it the grow room most often with Hydro PH spikes... A male plant can and will make a single female flower often near the bottom of a plant......and manyof us have seen a female "go hermie"....back in the 80's when a few of us were doin this on a lil' larger scale........I have takin' clones(from a new kind) some times 50 at a time and done terrible things to them to try to stress them into "goin hermie"...so that we could find a HARD FEMALE for commercial production....when ya' have 2000 clones on a table ya can't watch them all and 1 HERMIE can cause quite a fuss...lol They are rare out of 100's of kinds tested over the years I have only seen 2 pass the test a HazexNL#5 and a Hash Plant....and they have been :mad: lost:mad: That is how feminized seed was discovered......my Horticulture teacher told us about that in 1982....kinda funny how the new seed banks are makin' a HUGE deal outta female seeds...lol

:smoking: Dr. Bud Greenegenes D.M.C.:smoking:

14. im still looking for someone to show me how you change a seed from male to female before you germ and plant it!!!

oh wait you cant, or else we wouldnt have to preflower or do any worrying about male plants!

15. There are no male or female seeds (not talking about feminised). All MJ seeds contain male and female chromosones. The plant does not choose its sex untill after 3 sets of true leaves have emerged.

Environmental factors can increase or decrease the percentages of males and females. Increasing nitrogen makes more females, lower tempatures make more females, higher humidity make more females.

If there were such a thing a male or female seeds then there would be a genetic test or indicator we could use to identify them and not plant male seeds...

My information is obtained from 2 very reliable sources.... Jorge Cervantes Growers bible and I just spent an afternoon a few weeks ago talking with Arjan of Greenhouse seeds when I was in the Dam for cannabis cup over thanksgiving. Oh btw.... Arjan just won his 31st cannabis cup so I think he might know a little bit about the matter.

16. if you could environmentally decide whether a plant would be male or female, you would have no need for femmed seeds, and nobody would have to worry about male plants... too bad that isnt the case...

perhaps you wouldnt mind germinating 100 seeds, then planting each and every one of them. 50 in a stressful "male" producing environment with factors that encourage plants to "become" males. and 50 in an environment where females are encouraged. when you get 50 of each, lemme know! until then, im not going to be convinced that plants like every other a-sexual organizm, arent gender specific at the time of seed... (NOT COUNTING HERMIES)

17. You seem to be an expert on the subject. Can you give me a list of the books you have written and tell me of the hundreds of sucessful grows you have done. Just beacuse you choose to not believe scientific fact does not make you right. When I have 2 people with over 50 years growing exp combined, mutiple books on the subject and numerous awards for growing then i tend to think you are seriously misinformed.

With good genetics and the proper conditions you could take your 100 seeds and get 70 - 90% female ratio.

Being you are the only person on this board who believes otherwise, maybe you should do some reading in botany books... Oh wait you dont believe what you read I forgot... Try to be a little more receptive as there might be 1 or 2 people on this board with a little more knowledge than you as hard to believe as that is. LOL

18. Just to add, you can not take a 100 seeds and get a 100% feamles based on environment but you can up your percentages of females over the 50% mark..

Also feminised seeds do not give you 100% females either, your chances of hermies goes up. hWHen seeds are feminised they are treated chemicaly. This does affect genetics and is not the best way to achive 100% females. Clone Clone Clone..

19. Russian studies showed that if you allow at least 4" depth for the initial tap-root, you can increase your chances of getting a female plant.

-mu

20. i never said i was an expert, and im not a closed minded person per say... im a person who believes what he sees... to say that you can change the sex of a plant through environmental factors doesnt make sense to me. its like saying that if you treat a male baby as if it were a girl, pink everything, blah blah, then it will become a female... i got real lucky with my seeds, i got 3 of 3 females, and heres how they started... you may see why i dont believe the environmental factors changing males to females...

under an incandescent plant bulb...
    heat got up to 120's on a few occasions...
    over watered first few days...
    no ventilation for them, so no circulation meaning lower CO2 content in grow area...

that was prior to me finding this community, like i said i am no expert and never claimed to be. but changing the sex makes no sense theoretically or hypothetically. because according to your theories, i should have 3 males, or at best 3 hermies...

feel free to stop by my grow, i give all the credit for the sucess of the girls to the people on here who provided me the basis for everything i have done. the links in my sig...

THANKS GUYS