Vegging under 600W overkill ?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by RO76, Mar 8, 2011.

1. #1 RO76, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
    Question :Would it make any noticeable difference to vegg (2) plants under 600W MH vs 400W MH ?
    Light: 600W Digilux with dimmable lumatek .

2. you should always see a noticeable difference when vegging under the correct spectrum...

use the MH for the Veg and HPS for flower...

if your looking to keep a more compact plant... for the first two weeks of flower use the MH.. i read some place this keeps the giant growth to a minimum... it would be interesting to see

3. #3 RO76, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
    I Have vege before with 1-125W 6500K, and plant got really bushy and about a 1ft tall with in 30 days (kept the light 2-3" away)
    P.S. I know about the MH and HPS, just wondering is it worth to spend en extra 200W=$$ for a month or not...would it be a good return on investment?
    P.P.S. I have seen people vegging under florescent lights(way less lumens than MH) and had a grate results when flowering under 400-600w hps lights...

4. if you do 18/6 with 400 and 12/12 with 600 your power bill wont change just a thought lol

5. ventilation is key. otherwise, as long as the plants are burning, why not go for the most watts possible??

6. 600 has a bigger spread than 400. So if your plants outgrow the spread of the 400, then the 600 would be useful. Just depends on how you grow your plants.

7. #7 RO76, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011
    Duh.. How about vegging under 600W ???Would it be a good return on "investment"?

8. #8 RO76, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011
    100% agree on flowering under 600W, just wondering if there will be any noticeable difference during vegetative period. It is seems like people on average vege their plants under less powerful lights than during flowering and having grate results...
    P.S. I think I'll just go with 600/600.

9. Planing to go with DWC and topping.
    P.S.Ebb and flow was nice but it is seems like DWC should be less complicated.

10. you would have more growth with the 600 just for the fact that it is more light but for two plants I would just use the 400 to save money. but if you have the money go 600 if you feel it is needed

11. Still just depends on how big your plants will get during vegging. You will be topping.. once, twice, 12 times? If you plan on doing LST or scrog to make those 2 plants take up more space, then I'd go with the 600. If you're only planning on getting to to 12-18" and only topping once, they won't be taking up very much floor space at all and the 400 would be more than enough.

The reason people use less watts during veg is primarily due to area. Vegging plants are usually much smaller than they will be during full flowering. More area = more watts needed for same intensity.

12. I had to use bamboo stakes during flowing while using a 400 mh for veg. After switching to a 600 mh digilux/nextgen no more stakes needed! 600 watter really beef up the branches.