Vegging Indoors Then Flowering Outdoors in Spring?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Cannabliss88, Jan 13, 2012.

1. I've got four little plants been vegging 24/0 a couple weeks so far in my closet, all healthy and growing rapidly.

I read somwhere that you can switch to 12/12 and get them started flowering inside then if you put them outside in the spring they will continue to mature and you can harvest in like June or even July

I'm thinking of doing this. Would this be recommended?

My biggest worries are transplant shock when put outside and reverting to vegging as the days get longer

What do you all think?

2. All 4 plants come from no-name dank buds by the way with just one or two seeds per eighth on average.

I figure worst that could happen is they start vegging again when I put them outside and I just have to harvest in the fall.

But I'd love some good advice from my fellow blades with more experience/knowledge.

What chance of success do you think I have trying to finish my plants outside in the spring?

Thanks in advance!:)

3. Im sure you know light is going to control weather or not the plant will veg or bloom.
    Putting it outside after its been forced to bloom will make it go back to vegi.
    If your have too much visible light present.
    Most people grow plants large inside in vegi stage and put the plants out in the spring.
    This will increase the overall size of the plant.

4. As long as they have a 12/12 light schedule they will stay in flower, it's all about the light schedule.

5. you can flower them in the spring you will just need to take them outside and back inside

everyday keeping them on a 12/12 light schedule

6. #6 Corto Malteze, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    wrong

wrong and right, why take them inside if you're growing outdoors now? place a box on them for 12/12 outside. Bugs will get inside.

It is 15/9 when I take my plants from inside (in veg). And they flower at 14/10 about (beg aug in northern hem for me).
    if you want to keep them in veg, reduce gradually the light a few weeks before the y go out to match what's outdoors + 1 hour.

Most cannabis plants flower under approx. 14 light hours.

I start at 16/8 indoors all the way until they go out and it's 15/9 outdoors (gradually as the sun is stronger).

If they're at 24 hours and you switch to 12/12 they'll flower indoors 1-2 week later about. If you place them flowering outside and it's Spring they'll reveg obviously and not keep on flowering!

You need to either veg them in AND place them out with a corresponding light schedule (+ 1 or 2) but you can't veg them in and flower them out in Spring. They will reveg (a lot of light in Spring) unless you cover them every day with a box at 12/12 for several weeks until they flower and it's past the solstice by 2 weeks and they'll keep on flowering. This works to flower long sativas earlier (beg. of flower is triggered several weeks earlier than normal in mid July about for me). But it can be tedious to place the box at the same time for 2 weeks or so starting around July 10 (after the sostice). A long sativa can start flowering mid or end Aug so this can save time. I just use nature and strains (feminized, finish adapted to weather) to my advantage and keep it simple. Regular seeds are cool too but careful of pollen.

7. I was actually right...you confirmed it with your post haha
    by saying I'm wrong, you're saying having a 12/12 light schedule is the wrong thing to do...never good to confuse people..unless I am wrong and staying in 12/12 will cause a plant to go into vegetation again...

8. #8 Corto Malteze, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    okie dokie but the way you wrote it didn't explain at all how to keep it at 12/12 outdoors whereas my post did (box trick). And technically 12/12 occurs very late in the season so does not apply outdoors. It sounded like leave them out when it's 12/12 out there and they'll be fine. 12/12 is wrong outdoors for a landmark.

9. Corto, when you say you put your plants out when the outside light cycle is at 15/9, do you mean 15/9 including dawn/dusk times?

For example, I plan on putting my plants out around May 20 and here is the info for my area:

Sunrise: 6:17am
    Sunset: 8:27pm

Total daylight: 14 hours, 9 min

Begin civil twilight (dawn): 5:49 am
    End civil twilight (dusk): 8:56pm

If we look at sunrise/sunset times then I'll have 14h 9m. If dawn/dusk is used instead then there are about 15 hours. Which time are you talking about--sunrise to sunset or dawn to dusk?

What time should I have my timer set for so that the plants do not flower when set out?

10. as long as the days are getting longer the plant will know not to flower.......in a nutshell.

they may get a little stressed with the dramatic light change, but as long as your genetics are good than youll be alright (no hermies).

-OSUB

11. [quote name='"Cannabliss88"']I've got four little plants been vegging 24/0 a couple weeks so far in my closet, all healthy and growing rapidly.

I read somwhere that you can switch to 12/12 and get them started flowering inside then if you put them outside in the spring they will continue to mature and you can harvest in like June or even July

I'm thinking of doing this. Would this be recommended?

My biggest worries are transplant shock when put outside and reverting to vegging as the days get longe

What do you all think?[/quote]

This is true but u had to start it in February or march the latest. I have a green house that I through a tarp over it a 6pm every day cuz the days are getting longer an I am
    About 2 weeks from harvest

12. This is what I basically did without knowing anything, they JUST started their flowering process and their light schedules have been shit all throughout veg, its spring right now, and I have been fixing them up repotting and soiling them because the dirt turned to clay due to poor care from a friend.
    Its supposed to be cold and rain a bit this week, so what do you suggest i do?