Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Vegetable glycerin and keif for oil?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Killage, Jan 19, 2017.

1. I'm thinking I'd like to make some oil for my mom. Never made oil before, made butter with keif and that worked out fine for me but I'd like to be able to keep better track of what she is taking. I've searched around here but have only found alcohol based methods with keif. I imagine I can use keif for a vegetable glycerin base tincture, right? What would be a good ratio? The butter I used about 3g of keif for one stick and it was really good. I mean per quart of vegetable glycerin how much keif would you use? All recipes I've seen use a crockpot to cook it like 12 hours. Would you follow the same method with the keif?

Thanks

2. @Killage
    Vegetable glycerin is the worst of the 3 most commonly used solvents for cannabis..
    High proof alcohol is one of the best and the higher the proof the better.. 190 proof ever clear if your state sells it or 151 proof if that's the best you can get..
    Decarb cannabis first @ 240 F for 40 minutes..
    Mix 1 gram of decarbed kief-hash to 1 ounce of drinking grade alcohol.. Shake well and it's ready.. An eye droppers worth under the tongue hit hard and fast.. If the burn is to much put the dropper in a shot of water and toss it in your mouth and swish as along as possible..
    Oil is the next best solvent and coconut oil tops that list with butter a close second..
    Again decarb all material you intend to eat.. 240 F for 40 minutes..
    My standard ratio is..
    5 grams of hash
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon soy lecithin..
    Blend and heat 220 F for 20 minutes then freeze.. Reheat and it's done.. Makes 30 (0) capsules or 30 doses baked in something..
    This make a wickedly strong oil so feel free to tone it down for your mother.. :) thinning the base oil with additional coconut oil will soften the blow.. Start very small.. For new low tolerance users I make up 1 drop caps and let them find their own happy place.. Add more drop at 2 hours until your stoned.. This is the safe way to find your happy place.. All to often people take way to much to fast and have a miserable time and never want to try edibles again..
    [​IMG]
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  3. Awesome. Thanks for the info, really. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Another great recipe. I was just gonna look up coconut oil uses and you made my day. Thank you!
    Making some edibles for my patients is top of my list and adding recipes each day is giving me and them more options.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  5. Do I have to use the soy lecithin? I've seen it through out the threads and haven't noticed the why? What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. @Tripurmama
    https://www.google.com/#q=lecithin+encapsulation
    Liposomal encapsulation is used in many foods and medicines.. It makes less do more.. Makes less sugar seem sweeter and it makes many meds including cannabis more bioavailable.. It's encapsulates the THC molecule and makes it slide through the cell walls easier as my non technical mind understands it.. I've done enough batches with and without to always use it..
    Soy or sunflower.. Liquid, granules or powder.. Powder being strongest and blending best..
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  7. BadKittySmiles in her edible thread details the rationale for using lecithin (soy or sunflower). It increases the bioavailability of your edibles. This means you get better effects from your dose. Some people think it makes no difference for them. You may want to try it at least once and see if you think it helps. BrassNwood also is big on lecithin and thinks it makes a big difference in the strength of his edibles. His caps are scary strong! I've never had one, but have read his recipe and have to agree his caps have got to be awesome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I don't use it with my cannabis at all for my personal usage. I've tried it both ways. If you have some digestive issues then it is recommended. :)