Veganism vs. Vegetarianism vs. Raw Foodist

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by anchorman0890, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Hey everyone!

this thread is for all those health freaks out there, and maybe those eco-hippies too :p

im having a hard time deciding between these three dietary styles, ive been a vegetarian my whole life with various successes and failures as far as eating and training is concerned. my question is, is there anybody who has gone through all three and could outline their personal benefits or detriments?

personally ive tried raw foods for about a month and decided that it was a little to strict simply because of my time schedule and inability to prepare enough nutritious meals. vegetarianism has worked splendidly for me my entire life, ive never had any allregies or deficiencies which is the main thing people complain about. it worked for me while i was training, i went from a flabby 185 down to a trim 155 then beefed up to 175 :hello:

would veganism or raw foods allow me to control my body like this and if so, how could it be managed on a very tight schedule? ive got a very sensative metabolism and any minute change in my diet results in drastic biological reactions, ie eating heavy carb mean leaves me lethargic and tired, candy bars are my crack lol, and having an unstable meal timing leaves my blood sugar very irregular and i get cranky :( (i was born a bit premature so this may be the reason for this, but i control it through diet)

Lets hear it!! i appreciate all responses

2. I've done all three, and the best is raw foodist (with lots of meat and fat). Since it's hard to eat factory meat raw, it's best to boil your meat in water to prevent any HCAs or PAHs or anything else from forming.

Veganism and vegetarianism doesnt give enough fat, is the complete opposite diet that our ancestors for millenia (yes millions of years) ate, and is also high carb which causes heart disease.

Believe it or not, but the best diet is a diet of 60-80% fat, the rest protien.

3. okay so what ive learned from experience is don't go straight to raw foodism (raw vegan not raw meat) its hard. mostly cause the craving for something hot is to much. But if you have a tight schedule id say vegan. or at least vegetarian, but remember dairy is horrible for you.. Anyways you can still get like a art vandelay from moes, or a nice soy latte from starbucks. and a bagel from panera bread if you're out. Also with raw foodism it can take a lot of planning until you get it down. In the forming i always drink a fruit smoothie and put some agave nectar, bananas, strawberries well any fruit i have, and some probiotics (probiotics are digestive enzymes that help greatly for digesting your food, which could help with a slow metabolism.) in it as well. its fucking delicious :D but back to the main subject..(im rambling) i personally feel you can control your body more on raw foods, but at first its much much easier with just vegan. Make sure you eat a lot of fruit for energy, properly combine your meals
    Digestion & Food Combining - Food Combining Rules
    read this. its very important. Also remember to eat a variety of the plant kingdom for all your vitamins and nutrients. i would suggest raw protein powder like this
    Natural Choice Products :: Protein Powders :: Veggie Pro Vegetable Protein Powder
    not necessarily this one but similar. and yea i think thats it..

@PE my god.. hahaha first of all if you boil your meat in water its no longer raw..
    and also the only bad thing vegans do is eat wheat, and soy. which most vegan know not do do. i cant even remember the last time i had either. other then those two things. veganism is low carb. and its better to eat amino acids then protein. protein in the digestive system has to be broken down into amino acids before it can be used which takes an awful amount of energy. eating nuts, and seeds or plants high in protein amino acids works much much better. and you don't have to worry about eating to much protein. which is bad. High-Protein Diets
    dont take that to hard..
    and you can get your fat. research please.

4. thanks jnabb for that informative explanation :D

and i was thinkin the same thing about the high carb. so youre goin for more of a raw-vegan diet, is that right? i have noticed that when i stick to more of a vegetable-fruit-nut/seed im have a lot more stable sugar levels and energy. a lot of people have said the best way to start on raw foods is with green smoothies, ive heard they have premade mixes? then just keep some nuts or fruits around for calories and whatnot. but eat at least 3-5 solid meals-protein of at least 30g and 40-50 fat calories-does that sound pretty good?

5. #5 jnabb22, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
    that sounds very good, and when youre raw you need to make sure you get at LEAST 1200 calories. eat plenty, and dont worry about eating sparingly. this is where weed gets good. if your not eating enough blaze up and eat a few salads :smoke: and green smoothies are perfect. i make my own in a juicer, so green juice i guess, and i put, carrots, kale, celery, a habinaro pepper (for nice skin) and ginger root, and anything else that feels right. but i love kale. with nuts something very vital with that is cultivating and germinating them.
    Vegan and Vegetarian Health Guide: Nuts and Seeds
    someone whos helped me a lot is the liferegenerator. look him up on youtube. and also lou corona as well. big motivators, and long time raw vegans. good luck:D

and also im still new, its been three months since i became vegan, and 2 since going raw, but id be lying if i said i havnt had spaghetti once or twice.. and one thing i always keep in mind, and has helped me through this and kept me researching is this quote;
    “Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”-Buddha

6. the life regenerator lollll! that guy is pretty funny. does have great recipes and tips tho

7. Good luck. How are you going to get Taurine, L-Carnitine, saturated fat, and keep your carbs low?

On a high carb, low fat diet like the vegan diet, you're spiking and training your insulin response.

You have to get your calories from somewhere, should it be from carbohydrate or fat?

8. #9 Paleo Edibles, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
    Oh, so you're going to supplement nutrients from animals, on a vegan diet. Nice.

you can get your essential fatty acids from plant oils, and flax, and even hemp.

Since you didnt know that meat doesnt have carbs, Ill cut you a break on this one. Too bad flax, plant based fats (except coconut) and hemp oil have higher concentrations of polyunsaturated fat. And I surely don't expect you to know that high amounts of PUFA is bad for you.

i already said just avoid wheat, and grains.

All the fruit and veggies just have carbs. Avoid wheat, grains, legumes...now you're getting somewhere. What will you eat though? Wheres the saturated and monounsat fat? nuts exclusively? olive oil, avocado and nuts. These are the good sources of fat, but remember as a primal eater, you wouldn't have access to these foods in the wild! And you would also be low on protien.

Vegan proteins may reduce risk of cancer, obesity,... [Med Hypotheses. 1999] - PubMed result

correlation =/= causation. Vegans might have lower overall caloric intake compared to the control population, which of course would mean they have less cancer etc. News flash:intermittent fasting and caloric restriction is good for you. Unfortunately for you and other vegans that doesn't mean, or prove, anything.

9. paleo, were not here to discuss whether one should eat meat or not eat meat. if u notice all the dietary options ive listed are automatically restrained from animal products. and i havent met a person yet that brought up any logical argument strong enough to get me to murder an innocent living creature.

the point here is to be able to mix and match the best aspects of all three or maybe two, that would bring one's diet to as close to complete nutritional value as possible. im asking these questions becasue of my specific personal/biological needs and as convincing as someone may be, it wont stop my inability to break down animal proteins because of the fact that my body hasnt encountered them to this point yet. i knew of a man who went from a strict all veg diet to eating red meat 2-3 times a week and he died in a year because of a heart attack...i dont wanna go out that way lol

10. yet that brought up any logical argument strong enough to get me to murder an innocent living creature.

The fact that animal meat and fat is the healthiest food?

11. wheres your bloody proof? give me a link. show me. please.
    also im not exactly religious (i hate religion) but i do follow the 10 commandments.
    commandment #1:though shall not kill. I never will again, or will i be apart of killing.

12. Whatever you say.

13. #14 CHR0N1C, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011
    hmmm nvm

14. Veggie is easiest for most people, still radically more healthy than a meat based diet, it is not all that healthy unless you do it right.

Veganism is a bit harder for some people, but it forces you to base your diet off plant material and not cheese, so it is a lot healthier than a veggie diet.

Raw Foodist is the ultimate for health, but it takes a lot of time and commitment (you have to get used to dehydrating your own food, "cooking" all sorts of new things and finding what you can eat at a restaurant can be a challenge). If you are looking for a lifestyle change, this would be the most intense one, both physically and psychologically.

I hope this helps :)
    I've been a veggie for 10+ years, and vegan for roughly 8 months previously. It is worth the effort, I think.:hello:

15. I am thinking about doing the raw food diet soon. I want to get all the facts and know how to do it first before I get started. Is a dehydrator essential to a raw food diet? How do you make sure your getting enough calories, protein and nutrients?

16. When I went full vegan my cancer levels went down 20 percent!,there's a movie called forks over knives,explains how animal proteins feed cancer and vegetable proteins fight cancer. I couldn't do without chicken or fish, and the weight loss that came with it, so my levels went up a little more after eating meat, still at stage zero thanks to the RSO. I don't think there's anything wrong with eating any meat, it's the stuff that they put into it that makes us sick.