Vegan or Vegetarian?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mustard, Oct 26, 2004.

1. I'm curious if anyone on this board is Vegan or Vegetarian. If so share a bit about why you decided to commit to that kind of diet. And how it's effected your lifestyle. But please, please, spare me the animal rights stuff if possible. Also share your basic daily diet. What do you eat reguarly? Basically share it all.

For the meat eaters, what are your views on Vegan or Vegetarian diets?

My interest in this is such, I weigh 260lbs and I'm 5'9". I want to lose weight and I'm currently reading up on veganism as a solution. I'm pretty much sold, but I'd like to hear some peoples personal experience with it or it's close relative, vegetarianism.

2. I dont know much about it cept that a girl i went to school with did it. she lost lots of weight but looked sick as hell. she was pale and withered looking and she had lots of skin. I say start jogging and lifting, eat a solid diet and the muscle will burn the fat.

Dr bronch

Ps, Im totally bummed... you beat me to 900, we had a little race going on... you didnt necesarily know about the race, but we had one none the less.
    anyway Congrats on 900!!!! Ill devote a session purely to your celebration! :smoking:

3. I guess I'm just a post whore... with a monthly average of 112.5 posts.

4. haha!! One of my friends was a vegatarian, he had to get on all kinds of supplements because he wasn't getting all the nutrients your body needs, which you recieve from meat. I've heard the best diet is just high protein. If you stick to eggs, tuna, whole wheat bread, green veggies, (specially spinach) any kind of berries, low fat milk, string cheese, Almonds!!! I forgot the rest of them...I'll have to get the rest of them when I go home (I read this in mens health, awesome magazine!!!) Another of my friends got in amazing shape, but he kinda starved himself to do it. He lived off of one can of tuna a day, and ran 5 miles a day, and worked our every other day. in 2 months he looked like he was cut out of stone.

5. A lot of vegetarians and vegans don't seem to do it properly. Many vegetarians eat a diet HIGH in processed sugars and don't eat the nutrients they need. You can get any and every single nutrient meat gives you, from plants. The only thing you can't get from plants that meat gives you is Vitamin B12. But there are other ways of getting it, including supplements.The key is eating lots of veggies (a large variety), especially greens, and lots of fruits.

6. im also doing a diet what i found works best is exercise eat smaller proportions and stay away from high cals. and if you live with your parents dont let them buy good food becasue when im high if there is cookies or some thing laying around i eat it and i mean all of it. i have lost almost 15 puonds sence mid summer its pretty good i think

7. For those interested, I've been reading Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. as well as a couple other books. It's interesting to say the least. As my friend Bob would put it, it's pretty hardcore. Amazingly, when he talks about eating greens (salads essentially) he says to eat HUGE portions. Which is fine with me *pats belly* I can do that. Plus he doesnt say to exclude meat completely, just keep it to like one or two meals with meat a week. Which I can handle easily.

8. I heard "Vegetarian" is an indian word and means "lousy hunter" :D

You wanna loose weight, you don't have to give up meat. Chicken for example is quite low on fat. Eat smaller portions and eat fruit or cucumber in between. Keeps the digestion going and thus burning fat...

And...exercise!!! Find summing fun...playing frisbee can be enough for starters

9. I'm guessing he wasn't doing it properly, because he had to take all kinds of supplements and still felt like shit most of the time.
    Here's that food list from men's health
    Almonds
    Beans (and other legumes)
    Green Veggies (esp spinach)
    Dairy ( String cheese is awesome!!)
    Instant Oatmeal
    Eggs
    Lean Meat (Such as turkey, chicken, and tuna)
    Peanut Butter
    Olive Oil
    Whole Grains (breads and cereals)
    Extra-Protein Powder (Whey)
    Berries

10. Bump mother fuckers...

11. i've been vegan i slipped a few times and did eat cheese
    but in general i'm vegan

it's a bit difficult when everyone else pushing you but i'm a hermit or something

i don't care bloodspills ain't food

type vegan in a search engine

12. I'd love to go vegan, but I really can't. We can only afford so much a week on groceries and there's no way I could get Fred to go vegan with me. If I stopped eating meat and animal products I'd likely only be able to eat about one meal a day and that's just not enough for me to still be able to make milk for Trent.

Once Fred gets his GED and goes back to school we're going to switch to organic everyting for all of us and no meat for me.

13. if your trying to lose weight start eating healthier first of all.
    Next start jogging on a regular basis
    And life weights a few times a week
    if your focused on losing weight just do it
    i kno people that are vegan but theyr all girls
    i suggest exercising and eating healthier

14. I wouldn't go vegan just for weight loss. I burn enough calories just sitting here and breastfeeding.

15. I'm also doing it for health reasons. I have strokes and heart attacks in my family. The less meat I eat the better. Though I'm a fat kid I don't have such an attachment to food that I can't take meat out of my diet. Plus, vegan is eating healthy, if done right.

16. I was considering going vegetarian for a little while since I saw some of the shit on PETA. Man that stuff is messed up, The people who work in slaughter houses must completely hate animals. I saw this video of a pig half dead laying on the ground squeeling and this guy walks up and drops a cinder block on its head for fun. But I did what most other americans do and turned the cold shoulder. I still think about it from time to time, Ill probably end up a vegetarian once I move out.

But anyways, Join a gym, dont even think about doing a low calorie diet cuz youll lose all the muscle in your body. Just lift and do some sort of cardio 4 or 5 times a week and try to eat healthy. You feel a lot healthier and being strong is good if someone pisses you off :)

17. MEAT...........vegetarian sounds healthy though........so blazed............ :smoking: ..............