Veg to Flower lighting question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Deviaant, Sep 24, 2021.

1. I have been learning a lot from a couple of books. One called Marijuana Horticulture by Jorge Cervantes and my favourite book Marijuana Growers Handbook by Ed Rosenthal.

For reference I am growing photo in soil and I am about to switch my plants from veg to flower. In the Marijuana Growers Handbook they mention there being a benefit to turning off your light for 3 days. Apparently this tells your plants to switch to flower a bit quicker than just an adjustment in light spectrum and duration.

I was considering giving this a try, however, I feed every 2 days. So should I feed them during the 3 day dark period or let them go the extra day between feeding? Secondly does anyone have any experience with the 3 day dark period. Does it benefit yield at all?

I get good yield from my plants usually so I’m not really concerned in the extra yield. However I’d be silly to not try to increase yield even a little bit. Who doesn’t like extra weed after all.

Any other books you folks use that might offer more/different info than the books I’m using?

2. I don’t do anything like that. As gradual as normal days and nights cycle through summer into fall, they are very good at recognizing a switch from 18&6 to 12&12. I would be concerned about stretching and stressing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I did it years ago and not noticed any difference I stop food intake about a week ahead of the flip
    getting them to use up any remaining in the soil then feed again flower nutes about a week into the 12x12
    if you do this, hold one back and compare?

good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mr Growit covered this recently. The conclusion was that it didn't help much if at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr Growit covered this recently. The conclusion was that it didn't help much if at all.

6. Time to stop reading worthless books .
    Flip to 12/12 asap . Why deprive plants of light energy ? There is zero benefit . let me cut your food for three days. Get back to me . Stupid book with zero research to support shit .
    If you want a fast flower then go to 10 on 14 off . Then stick with it . It will flower a week or two faster but lower yields. about 20 to 25 % less. I will give you info this book does not give . use you veg nutrients until your plants start flowering before you switch .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I think both authors are pretty well regarded in the cannabis community so I don’t know how worthless they are. I’m going to assume you have read neither book as they both read like a textbook with plenty of science and research to back them up. In fact one of them is a textbook. All I was curious about is if anyone has had any real world experience with the technique and if it made an impact on yield. And from what I’m reading it’s beneficial yes but not hugely so.

It’s all about getting the best/most out of my grows. And enriching my own knowledge.

8. I do 11 hours from day 1. Seams to make sure they all flower right away

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  9. Back in the 1980’s I started growing indica. I noticed that my flowering started mid August. Figuring(at the time) that it takes about 3 days for a plant to show relatively small errors in ph or mild toxicity I found that I could do my indoor plants on 14/10 from start to finish and I was doing 14 weeks from germination to harvest with photo periods.

• Like Like x 3
  10. I’m running a little non scientific test. I’m flipping 2 tents anyhow so I’ve put one in dark for a nervous 3 days and the other I’m doing my normal 12/12.

I’m not expecting much if anything at all but what do I know.

• Like Like x 2
  11. This is so much more fun when you can talk about it.