Veg time and lights

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by JerseyCaper, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Two questions.
    First, is there an optimum length to veg? Seems to me that the longer one keeps a plant in veg then the greater the yield. But is there a point where that doesn't apply? I'm a new grower, just two plants right now, each in a 6" pot but space is not an issue. Will transplant eventually to 5 gallon each.

Second, I'm using six 26W/100w output CFLs in reflector clamp lights, a mix between 5000k and 6500k between 2" and 6" from the plants. I will reposition as they grow ensuring to hit all parts of plant. I could add more. Is there a point where more doesn't matter or is more light always better?

When I go to flower I'll change to something around 2500k and will position lights above and around plants.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. There are many variables and factors to that question. First, some strains just take longer than others. Also, what about lighting for another example...a CFL vs. a thousand watt HID light, or even an LED is going to change that equation, too. CO2 will change it, soil type and quality can change it...fertilizers as well.

For you, while using the CFL's in 6" pots (I'd personally max out at 1 or 2 gallon pots with CFL's, 5 gal is just waaay too much for that lighting), I would veg them for 3-5 weeks, and then flower.

More light is definetly better.

Good luck.

jerry.

3. You're very welcome. Diligence is key, and time spent will make 6you better and better at what you do, just like anything else.

The best advice I can give you is to read ALOT here, about everything. There is MUCH knowledge here - if you read it, you will benefit from it.

Happy growing! :wave:

jerry.

4. The more you veg = the bigger the plant = the more buds = the bigger the harvest. But there are other limitations, such as amount of light and root volume. If you want a plant to keep getting bigger and bigger you will need to transplant to larger pots and add more light.

To a point more is better. And don't worry, you are nowhere near that point, so add more.