Veg, Pre-Flower, Flower?

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by masteryoda420, Dec 11, 2013.

1. So, I'm growing for the first time and have took in so much information and am still learning. My newest big question is, How do you know when to make the switch? I let my plants grow for 1month 3weeks, then flipped to flower. I thought that's how it works, just veg till it's half the size you have space for then flip as most indica's grow 2x the size when flipped.Now I slightly understand pre-veg, but I'm still so confused on a lot.When's the right time to flip to flower?Does Pre-flower happen during veg? For me I didn't really see pre-flower till 1.5weeks into flowerAnd as for stretching. I use HPS so I keep my lamp as high as I can for the whole grow. Is that bad? Should I get like a t5 and keep it as low as i can to keep the plant from stretching till flower?http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1265993-first-time-grower.html#entry19135661 - my grow journal

2. #2 marvajuana, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
    [quote name="masteryoda420" post="19141822" timestamp="1386750803"]So, I'm growing for the first time and have took in so much information and am still learning. My newest big question is, How do you know when to make the switch? I let my plants grow for 1month 3weeks, then flipped to flower. I thought that's how it works, just veg till it's half the size you have space for then flip as most indica's grow 2x the size when flipped.Now I slightly understand pre-veg, but I'm still so confused on a lot.When's the right time to flip to flower?Does Pre-flower happen during veg? For me I didn't really see pre-flower till 1.5weeks into flowerAnd as for stretching. I use HPS so I keep my lamp as high as I can for the whole grow. Is that bad? Should I get like a t5 and keep it as low as i can to keep the plant from stretching till flower?http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1265993-first-time-grower.html#entry19135661 - my grow journal[/quote] you should keep your light closer to your plants ie 12 to 18 inches if not too hot. hold the back of your hand under the light if it doesn't feel hot to you it's good enough for the plants there. this is important to get nice tight bud structure and prevent stretch.Mjfrom someplace on something

3. #3 sephiroth88, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
    Yes pre-flower happens during veg. As soon as you see the small hairs on the stem this is the time to switch to a flowering phenoperiod. Yes you want to keep the lights as close as possible. HPS is not ideal for veg, get a metal halide, it will keep internodes shorter resulting in denser buds.

4. Yeah, I use Aurora Indica seeds. I was told that they do grow sativa like, rather then Indica like. But at the same time I have a strange feeling that they stretched too much during veg as the light was pretty high due to me using a 600w hps in a 4x4 tent. :/ Got pretty hot till we got our fan in and even then... we kept having heat issues till i finally lifted it to the top of the tent.