Veg and light power

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by growingbusiness, Jan 28, 2017.

1. I have one simple question.

What exactly does change in veg stage when u use a light with lower power?

Does the plant only grow slower or is the plant overall producing more yield since the veg was done with a heavier lamp?

Has anyone tried it? Vegging with let's say 300 Watt then flower with 600 watt? How was the overall yield outcome compared to 600 watt veg and 600 watt flower?

Does lower watt only reduce the speed of growing in veg? This question is only for the veg stage not the flowering stage.

Thanks

2. Yes the plant grows slower if you use half the light. Which will ultimately affect yield.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 5
  3. Keep the light about 18 inches from the buds. Led don't produce tight buds. That's why I use a 600 hid. The size of the buds are about the same but the density is half....

4. What if I just higher the veg time? And let them catch up on the same height as with higher watt? Trying to hold energy costs as low as possible

• Like Like x 1
  5. Led lights, cheaper lights like my viparspectras do excellent for veg, but just lack in the flowering dept

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  6. But if u extend the veg time wouldn't you just be using more energy for the extended time??

6 of one a half dozen of the other

Just use the 600 for both dude. You're not going to save anything.

J

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Ye im just brain storming how to grow most efficiently. Holding cost and total grow time low while making biggest yield. Was one of the last questions I had.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Construct a high end organic soil based on quality compost & Vermicompost. You will not need to buy a pH or PPM meter, or Up & Down. You won't need to buy Veg or Bloom nutrients, all the additives, bloom boosters, Cal/Mag, stupid "flushing agents"...You'll water with plain old - water. You'll just keep the soil moist with water from start to finish.

You'll end up with quality organic buds. You will not need to flush.

You'll be able to use your soil over and over again.

Read here - No-Till Gardening: Revisited

J

• Like Like x 4
  9. Ye in using premium soil didn't add any nutes so far after 6-8 weeks of vegging plants are green as fuk. Will use bloom nutes for flower tho

10. I had tried many methods. I swear by using same amount of light for veg and flower. I veg under 3-1000 watt metal halide bulbs. For about 3 weeks. The stronger light makes stalks like small trees. Just makes very healthy huge plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alright guess my question has been answered thanks guys

• Like Like x 1
  12. I started slow. 1 box 5 plants. Planned to veg 2m and flower for 2m. Dam that's to long . So I learned how to cut clones, there free! And built another box so I can harvest every 2 months.... now I harvest every month......there is no magic way to get the most, with your led you need to try scrog, or sog.

13. Hey man, so I have 2 vegging under a 450w viparspectra. I just bought another 450w to add to flowering. Should I hook the 2nd light up now, to finish my veg?

14. Just veg with one light... it's a waste of electricity to run both lights... some growers on the forum will veg a 4x4 with less than 200W lol... the only time having a lot of watts per square foot is good is in flower to really make the buds fat and dense... and to just get the most you can.. however in veg all you are doing is growing branches and leaves.

Grow journal

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Actually your growing more roots too. Plants get a solid base for more buds if you veg with more light. More root more fruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  16. #19 Tbone Shuffle, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    You can easily get away with half the watts in veg. I've been vegging with an unbelievably low amount of power. I was using 2 california lightworks 110 vegmasters that run at 90 watts each in a 4x4. So, 180 watts in a 4x4, roughly 11 watts per square foot. Because there was 2 light fixtures and they are higher quality fixtures with good output I had enough spread to cover the tent. That is actually under the veg coverage rating for those lights.

Those of use that run a separate veg room have the entire bud cycle to veg a plant. This is typically 10 weeks or more before I can empty the bud tent. With a 10 week veg if I vegged with more wattage the plants would get so large I wouldn't be able to bud them.

I feel like one of the pioneers of this low watt veg method. It's only really been possible with higher quality leds. Cannabis doesn't need a lot of power to veg well. CFL growers prove that all the time. Those cfl lights put out hardly any lumens but they can veg a decent plant if you have enough.

I started with the 180 watts in veg with the plan to maybe add more. I was researching cobs to build to supplement but after a few grows my plants were so large under just those lights and a 10 week veg I never added more not wanting to run out of headroom in the flower tent.

This is the last plant I budded right before I put it in flower. It's a crystal (white widow x northern lights). I got 15 oz's from it. I had just transplanted it to a 7 gallon pot in the picture. I vegged this with that 180 watt setup but this plant was only on one side of the tent under one of those lights so basically it was vegged with 90 watts. This is about an 11 week veg.
    IMG_0621.JPG IMG_0620.JPG

This is a pic of the 2 clw 110's in action. It was always a jungle in there. 180 watts in a 4x4.
    IMG_0563.JPG
    After HLG released the qb120 boards a month or so ago I decided I would build two and replace the CLW's. The qb120 boards are 60 watt max each. I'm now vegging my 4x4 with 120 watts. That's 7.5 watts per square foot. I must have some really small spindly plants from that low amount of watts per square right?

Well, This is that same veg tent with 120 watts.
    IMG_0689.JPG
    Can you get away with very little light power in veg? Yes, especially if you use higher quality fixtures and multiple always has better coverage over a single fixture. How does it do for yield? Well I got 2lbs from my 4x4 last run with mites. 1.2grams per watt. So you can do pretty well.

I have a thread on these qb120 boards in both the indoor growing and lighting sections. They might be the most efficient veg lights around.

I also have ridiculous root growth with both the 180 watt CLW setup and the QB120's. I'll show you my bucket pictures. I've split my net pots before.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Just some roots dropping in the bucket under the old 90 watters.
    IMG_0296.JPG IMG_0067.JPG

• Like Like x 2