1. Win a $250 shopping spree at Grasscity.com! To enter subscribe to our youtube channel.
    Dismiss Notice

vatoloco's SWC Part 2

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by vatoloco, May 14, 2003.

1. I'll be using a 18 gallon Rubbermaid container as my resevoir (res).

Attached Files:

2. Start off by switching your drill bit to a 7/8" wood cutting bit...the cuts you make from here on out must be exact...you'll see why in a minute.

Attached Files:

3. Now cut a hole in the bottom of your res...

Attached Files:

4. ...and also one in your lid...this will be for checking pH/ppm/tds/ec and also water levels using a straw...comes in handy so hopefully you won't have to ever open the lid.

I also cut a hole on the upper side for the airline which will fit a 1/4" tube...and a hole in the bottom with the 7/8" bit which will be connected to the res.

Attached Files:

5. Finally finished with the drilling, time to finish up this tray.

When it comes to roots in a solution, light is the enemy! Nutes along with light leaks in your tray can create nasty problems like algae. So what I did was spraypaint the tray black so no light would get through...but foil or foil tape will work as well.

Attached Files:

6. I'd say use at least 3-4 coats of paint...the more coats the less likely you'll have any light leaks.

Forgot to mention to put tape over the inner holes so you don't accidently spray the inside of the tray.

Attached Files:

7. While that's drying outside drying grab the res and put a 1/2" grommet in it.

Attached Files:

8. Then squeeze a 1/2" barb through.

Attached Files:

9. After the tray is dry and ready to handle do the same thing to it.

Attached Files:

10. Now we're coming up on laying out the air flow plan, you need to secure the air stones so you'll need to buy some sealent for aquariums or use some type of weights...anything but metal.

Also if you've got leaks in any of the holes you drilled you could use the sealent to close it up.

Attached Files:

11. Lay out the air stones how you want them and glue them down...let this sit in a ventilated area for about an hour. Let it sit for a week before putting any plants in it.

Let these sit in water an hour before turning on the air pump too.

To be continued...

Attached Files:

12. how will you stop the container with plants to overflow, will u have a water pump somewhere in there.... how will u control the flow of water with just a hole at the bottom

13. I won't be using a water pump for such a small setup, I really don't think it's a necessity...just an aquarium air pump. I'll go into detail on how the tray is filled and emptied in Part 3, stay tuned.

14. serious....lol... should work for only 2 plants...... if thats what your using it for.....

15. why you say that?

Grasscity Deals Near You