Varying readings on hygrometers…

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Jgutta420, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Hello to all…hope everyone is having an awesome day. I bought a smart hygrometer, a standard digital one and a ten pack of mini ones for my jars while curing. They vary wildly and I’m not sure which is right. Any advice on how to calibrate these things? This is frustrating. I’ve had the smart one for a while now and always use it for convenience and always thought it was accurate but now hell, idk ☹️ I can check without opening the tent on my phone. The temps are close on all but the humidity is all over the place. All the small ones are in the same vicinity and honestly kind of close to the digital one but the smart one has the humidity much higher. I’m trying to dry here and cure I need these accurate lol…any advice?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. average them out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hadn’t thought of that. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. #4 MickFoster, Jan 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    Do the salt test.
    Put a capful of damp salt and the hygrometers in a freezer bag overnight.
    They should read 75% by morning.
    If they read 78% then you know to deduct 3% off of any reading from that one.
    If they read 73% then you know to add 2% to the reading on that one.
    Usually they're only off 1 or 2 percent.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. i am going through the same thing i took the batteries out and put them back in now they are all within1% just whatever you do DO NOT overdry your weed just burp the jars mine are at 68% today down from 72 yesterday i am shooting for 62% before i stop burping and add boveda packs also only fill the jar halfway

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trim close seconds off the plant.
    Z hanging.jpg
    Hang only until the small stuff starts to firm up
    [​IMG]
    Strip from branches
    [​IMG]
    Place in doubled cut down paper bags
    [​IMG]
    Stack in air snug container overnight.
    This slows my dry so my 9% humidity doesn't ruin it in a few hours.
    My hands tell me all I need to know about how dry it is.
    Wet and squishy = more time out
    Firm and almost crunchy = More can time
    At the end of 7 to 10 days it should be at 65% and ready to Jar
    Below 55% no cure can happen so don't over dry.
    This works in the Hot and dry desert Southwest. Will get you a bucket of Mold in a humid zone.
    BNW

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. #7 MickFoster, Jan 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    And how exactly do these 2 posts address the OP's question? WTF.

8. It’s ok man, I think he just wanted to show off his harvest.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. No it was an attempt to show you only need your hands and brain to dry.
    I stopped using gauges 5 years and more ago. Throw them useless things out.
    BNW

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. since you had to include my post i will tell you exactly how he asked how to calibrate the meters what i had read on them to pull the batteries out and put them back in so dont include me in your rant mr mick lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. i never used them either but figured what the heck because it was on amazon and on sale lol\

• Like Like x 1
  12. I have 4 of those wireless govee ones. They are all very accurate.

13. I will admit to having a pair of gauges on a shelf in the garage and I do check them when I have plants trimmed and hung. I can look and think 26% Humidity. Just done and wet they will be safe tonight left hanging.
    Were it to read 9% then I would be pulling it all down and stuffing it in a sealed container overnight. I've been screwed to many times and woke up in the morning to find crunchy over dried plants hanging.
    BNW

14. Well I appreciate you sir. No love lost. Just goofing a lil.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Really? That one was the most off. I actually calibrated them now using the advice from above and they were all off by 3-5%. It is convenient to have a wireless one though so I can check it without having to open my tent.

16. All within 3% is good enough.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. might have just got lucky with mine. Who knows.

• Like Like x 1