Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Vaporizer Debate

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by muaythaipride, Jun 15, 2006.

1. well the fogger was the original creation made by the zilla guy and this other guy

so mr. wickedroots is a scumbag and is already tied up in court with the other guy with thousands of useless paid for pre-orders waiting last I heard

even if it's quality it's not worth getting scammed of half a g

the guy already proved he was a piece of shit when he sold ceramic soldering iron elements in a lil aliminum box for 150 bucks claiming it was a vap/lighter replacement for flavor

fact was you could buy the same replacement core or full iron for between 13-30 bucks complete with temp dial

keep researching before you buy anything cuz they're all out to scam ya bro

2. Oh I feel ya Ars, I know how people are just trying to make money nowadays... I really like the design and even though I'm paying a lot for it still I want it.

I just have to make sure whoever I buy it from actually sends me a unit though, and that much is crucial. LOL

I definitely do not want a Phedor, that thing looks like a rip off man... I could do the same thing with a glass rod and a torch. It's just the Super Vapezilla is really something else. I can send it back too from what they are saying, so I guess there is nothing to lose. I will make sure to talk to someone on the phone about if the units are back ordered or not before I hand over the money. That seems like the only way I can prevent getting screwed, although I'm open to suggestions.

3. If you're worried about sore throats, or the filtration of the kif particles theres always the Aromed. FWIW they managed to get Dr. Grinspoon on board.

[​IMG][​IMG]

They're approx 450 bucks, so its not the cheapest thing in the world, but they did take the time to engineer it very well.

Ars, what do you think about this?

4. That's basically what I was thinking about making for a filtration chamber, (with a glass-on-glass fitting, you could plug it into GonG bong or bubbler) but the thing is the taste of the vapor will be comprimised with such an application. An ice chamber might be better in the fact it won't produce any unwanted tastes, but then again I still have to experiment.

It might just be better to use a heat gun most of the time and the whip style for just tasting the green toke. Aromed just doesn't look like it's up my alley. I'm looking for something a little cooler looking than that thing, and I don't care if I have to pay more for it. I want headie glass work on my setup, and I'm sure I'm going to get ragged on for spending so much but it will be tight. It's like saying to someone they can get a car for thousands less that gets you to point A to point B the same as a Corvette. I'm looking for something stylish as it is functional though.

That's what I like about the heat gun so much- you can use your existing glass bongs with it.

5. I looked on the aromed site and it looks pretty good, not to mention that they've been in business for 8 years. It looks as dorky as a nebulizer (for ashma) tho lol. hotbox vapes still look the coolest

6. Chalk up another vote for the vriptech bowl and heatgun. $150 and I'm taking fat bong rips whilst my lungs are happy. Screw any other vaporizing method.

7. woot woot another vaporhead :)

8. after going through this thread I went out to the local hardware stores for a Steinel 3002 digital heatgun. The shops around my area didn't have what I was looking for so I settled for a $40 wagner. Then I went to the local head shop looking for a bowl to fit my new heatgun. They were all sold out and it was late in the day so I couldn't get my vape on. The next day I took a trip to Santa Cruz CA looking for a bowl. They carried the Valcano Vape for 475 and offered me a free $50 grinder. An offer I couldn't refuse. I got home and tested this out and I must say that I'm impressed with the unit. Regardless of what anyone says, I can safely say this is the ferrari of vaporizors. Sure they are marked up a sh*t load, but I'd recommend one to anyone out there who CAN afford it. If you are trying to save some money, go for the heatgun. I'm sure they both provide the same quality of smoke, but the convenience and bling factor of the Volcano makes it worth my purchase. The mouth piece itself is high quality.

So again, if you can afford a Volcano, get one and don't look back. You'll be happy with your new toy.

9. My buddy just bought a vaporizer yesterday, i think he got ripped off, i personally didnt think it was worth the 100$..It works, but idk i dont think i got the full effect..

Id rather spend 100 on a nice bong or some shit.

10. i bought the BC vap a couple weeks ago. for 100 bucks it works, but being old and stupid, it has no meaningfull instructions. since it has notemp control, is there an optimum time to heat it before using it? it's kind of unsatisfying way to smoke. any tips?

11. ^ sad to say you got screwed bro

the bc vap is a piece of shit on a level that is hard to define lol

either cut your loss and buy a good ceramic cored heatgun (craftsman pro model for 99 is good) and a vapor bowl (you can make out outta metal or a tabasco bottle if need be) and bong or bag the vapor

check out some of my older posts to get the rundown on what and how you'd go about this

if you wanna try salvaging the bc unit you can get a 25+ watt rheostat from radioshack or similar eletronics store (fry's may have them but online maple will certinly have a slew of ones to choose from) to control the temp

after that you can either figure out what bits of pipe and such will create a vapor brothers/vapor warez like whip or you can buy a 20 buck propane torch and start trying to play with test tubes cigar tubes ect to make the 'condom' (glass bit over the soldering iron) and whip

if the bc is beyond being worth it (imho it is based on it's 5 buck soldering iron element) you can instead pick up some ceramic soldering iron replacement elements for around 15 bucks online and simply wire them up to the rheostat you buy

the wiring is as follows

one end of wall plug to rheostat > rheostat out to element > element out to other plug wire

the best way to create the whip/condom combo is to use pyrex test tubes and a propane torch or simply order a replacement old school vaporwarez/bros unit condom

if you decide to make them always use pyrex

for the condom use a large paperclip to indent 3 rows of 3 in a triangle pattern so it sits snug on the ceramic element (add some bic safety tabs stripped off lighters if it's loose) and for the whip roll the open end out like a horn then move down about an inch or so and roll the heated section with some needle nose pliers or a bent coat hanger/tweezers to create a reduction that will hold your screen (two close together create a nice locking section for a folded screen to expand into tightly) then finish it off by tapering the round end before you use the paperclip to pop a hole for hitting or adding some clear tubing

hope this helps sorry ya got screwed...always avoid hot plate vap designs heatgun or manual convection ones are the only thing worth buying or creating

12. wow ars...sounds like i need to save some money to buy one. (just got a headache trying to build one). other than volcano, which do u recommend?

13. I picked up the cano but promptly returned it upon discovering the heatgun/vapo bowl (bong stems in 9 12 and gong 14 and 18 respectively) combo

the cano just fills bags and while I gotta give 'em credit for taking it back it's still a bag filling unit nothing more

with the heatgun it's not even close to para in anyones eyes and the bowls are very sturdy for the 30 buck price tag they also fill bongs bags or you can straight up use a fridge box or what have you to hotbox someone in pure thc vapor lol

so far I've found the best price to quality ratio to be the 100 buck craftsman variable temp heatgun (rebranded swiss heatgun) and a 30 dollar got vap bowl

runner up imho is making your own bowl

all you need is a bowl of ice cube filled water a heat source that will heat the tabasco (or whatever will fit the heatguns tip with or w/o the reducer) bottle and one of those manual wheel key looking glass cutters

you simply score the bottle mid way (depending on how big of a bowl you'd like) around heat it then dunk it in the water

it should fracture clean on the score leaving you with a nice bowl with the bottle top being your stem

14. i'll give 'er a shot.

15. hey this is a great first post for me I'm a volcano freak!
    I may be biased but my vote is volcano all the way.
    I have used every type of vaporizer, some are good, many are useless.
    Volcano and Hot Box are my favorites...

check out my website

www.thejenniferfiles.com/volcanovaporizer

it is very volcano-biased but it has alot of info on vaporizers in general and it has info on the best low-cost alternative vaporizers... check it out and any feedback on how to make the site better would help me so much!:wave:

16. that site didn't work. u have another/different link? thanks

17. This is a great thread... I'm learning quite a lot.

I'm currently using the vriptech VCB bowl in a vriptech WT II bong. For heat I've been using a cheap heatgun modded to reduce the power:

http://forum.grasscity.com/recreati...tion-heat-gun-less-than-20-a.html#post1309935

I fill the bong with ice cubes which cools the air, and the water from the ice cubes collects in the bottom of the bong trapping fine particles. I don't use enough water that it bubbles through the water, just a few millimeters or so to keep it wet.

I did a lot of research before choosing this combination and I like the advantages: the ice cubes cool the air and reduce oxidation, but without absorbing THC like bubbling through water can.

The one place though that this setup is falling short for me is on yield... I find I have to use significantly more weed with this setup than I would have to use smoking a joint to reach the same level of stonedness. One of my main reasons for getting into vaping was to save money on weed and it's not happening.

I can see why some of the vapor gets wasted: when you use a heat gun you have to heat the herb before you start inhaling to get it vaporizing, and you have to heat the herb between inhalations to keep it vaporizing. With a heat gun if you are heating the herb while not inhaling, the vapors are going into the air not your lungs. If I only heat it during the actual inhalation, it doesn't get hot enough to completely vaporize.

A part of this may be that my modded heat gun operates at a relatively low temperature. I measured the nozzle temp at around 250 degrees fahrenheit when unobstructed. But I think it must get hotter than that in actual use because I can get smoke and start the herb on fire if I leave it on long enough. Probably gets hotter when the air flow is slowed by the bowl. If I leave the heat on the bowl when it starts smoking I can see the smoke going out the lips of the bowl into the air (not into the bong) so I know that's getting wasted. I wonder if using a "Jet-flo" VCB lower bowl instead of the standard VCB lower bowl I have would help by allowing more of the air to flow through into the bong instead of out the lip.

Yesterday I accidentally dropped the VCB bowl assembly ($50) on the floor shattering it, so now I have a decision to make... do I buy a jet-flo VCB (or mod a tabasco bottle) or switch to something better like the volcano, vapezilla, or even the Aromed.

I'm thinking about trying another heat gun like the $15 grizzly:

http://grizzly.com/products/H0800

which has adjustable temp, or even the $180 Steinel HG (which adds adjustable flow and temp readout). Maybe a better heat gun would regulate the heat better allowing me to use fewer inhalations and therefore waste less herb to heating between inhalations.

Maybe if I had a heat gun with just the right flow rate and temperature I could rubber band a bag onto the top of the bong and fill it up, thereby not wasting herb between hits.

Or should I just get the Volcano and be done with it... even though the volcano is expensive it seems to hold it's value well so whenever I'm done with it I could probably sell it for near what I paid. Unless they introduce a new better model.

The reason I'm looking at the Volcano is simply that it seems to be one of the best yielding devices... because it's collecting vapor into the bag the whole time it's vaporizing, it seems like there's little if any waste. Is this right? I know there is some oxidation and depositing on the bag surface though. I think I should make a trip to the Berkeley Patients Group, where they let patients use the Volcanoes, and just try one out.

Any secrets for getting better yield with the heatgun/bong combo?

In particular I'm curious to hear about technique from heatgun connoiseurs... how long do you heat before inhaling, how long to heat between inhalations, do you take long/short slow/fast inhalations etc. I've read the SVT guide:

http://www.vriptech.com/SVTaroma.pdf

but I still don't feel like I'm doing it quite right somehow.

BTW if anyone is in the San Francisco bay area I strongly suggest you go to the OCBC store in Oakland where you can buy any of these devices and see them in person. The prices for the vriptech I paid were a little lower than the retail prices on the vriptech website.

18. I got an aromed over the weekend it is the perfect vaporizer. IF you like bongs this makes you feel like you are still bonging. The digital readout and heat from the light is pretty precise. I had a hotbox but noticed I was burning my herbs with no control but my intake. Also the smoke was very hot.

The aromed looks bad and is not very mod looking. The digital read out should be on the side but besides that it is a sturdy machine.

I start vaping at 380 and get more then 5 flavorfull hits. then I stir it and turn heat up to 390 get 4 more tasty hits and then up to 400 or 410 for last 2-3 hits. Wait 10 minutes and you feel the rush. IF you turn it up to 410 to start you will cough on every hit if you draw to hard.

The water cools the intake great. Just put enough in to just cover bottom of stem.

Even tried a little chamomile in it and that was tasting and relaxing. Can't see why you want to use a bag. THe aromed is the best in my opinion.
    :hello: