Vapor into bong attachments - Pro/Con

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by onotadaki, Dec 1, 2011.

1. While my post count is low, I've been lurking here a while. I've read about every article I can dig up on vaporization and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out if it'd be worthwhile to attach a vaporizer to a bong. I see it a lot, but the facts on paper seem to make the idea seem poor.

Vapor from a carefully controlled source is almost 100% active materials.¹ It's listed as 95% THC, while the rest of the 5% is almost entirely auxilliary cannaboids, etc... That means that any harshness that exists in the vapor is due to either heat or density, not tars and unwanted chemicals. Therefore, passing this vapor through water should have the effect of:

• Vapor is cooled so it feels more smooth (Big element in heat gun setups)
    • Loss of approximately 10-15% of THC content through tubing, water and downstem²
    • Higher Air-to-Vapor ratio makes intake more smooth as well

So, in any vaporizer setup where the output vapor is not hot, I cannot see a strong support for why it should be hooked up to a bong. If hits are too harsh, simply inject more oxygen into the system and reduce the vapor density.

If anyone has any information that I may have missed, please share! :)

¹CCRMG
    ²Perez-Reyes, Mario. "Marijuana Smoking: Factors that Influence the Bioavailability of Tetrahydrocannibinol." NIDA Research Monograph 1(1990): 42-62.

2. I own a cheap, crappy whip style vaporizer.
    That being said...

I have found that the only time a hit is harsh is if I have drawn too hard or if the temperature is too high and combustion occurs. When this happens, the hit is incredibly harsh.

I enjoy using the bong with the vape for three main reasons: 1. I do think using the bong cools the vapor for the reasons you mentioned above. 2. I enjoy using my bong 3. I like seeing how big a hit I am getting. It is more difficult to do this with the whip because, unlike a joint or blunt, I don't really feel much to tell if I am getting vapor vs just air.

3. I should also add that, yes, I love bongs. There's something magical about the whole process, I like how you prep the smoke and pull the choke for a quick burst. Part of the reason I'd even want to see this is for the enjoyment of using my glassware with vapor.

I think I may just attach my vaporizer to the bong dry, with ice packed in the tube. That'll cool the vapor, give me big hits and also not "weaken" it.

4. the amount of cannabinoids that you lose due to water solubility is almost negligible.

btw ice is frozen water...

5. I like connecting my vape to my bong mainly to just help bridge the gap between quitting combustion and going full on vape... I just love hitting bongs.. and if i couldn't hook mine up to the vape.. i'd probably be pulling more tubes of smoke than tubes of vapor..

The loss of THC in a bong is the least of your worries when vaping.. are you holding in all that vapor from the bong?.. when you exhale do you see no vapor? because if you do... you're wasting anyways.. exhaled vapor = wasted vapor

6. #6 revrb, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2011
    vapor will always be hot if it wasnt hot it would be either oil (liquid phase) or condensed THC ( the same) .

7. I've hooked up my 'old school style' vaporizer (dual, front loaded, tabletop, noname, whip-style) through a gong and it was pretty cool. I don't personally see a logical reason to it other than for some variety.

8. I've heard that there are bong smokers who don't enjoy their first vaping experience because of the dry, hot air coming in with the vapor. If warm water is used, you would get a nice, humid hit.

9. I used to hook up my roommates vape to my bong, was mostly novelty but pretty cool. It would probably help near the end of the vape session when hits get more harsh and the cronic burns a bit.
    ps. i really like using my bong too lol

10. I really like vape bonging. I don't usually use water when I do it, just pack the bong with ice. Also, get a shorter hose if the one for your vape is long, it makes a huge difference. I've also read that you lose some potency when vaping through a bong, but in my opinion its negligible and definitely worth it with the huge, cold rips of vapor you get. Not sure what kind of vape you have but the attachment for my buddha was $11, so its definitely a worthwhile investment. Enjoy comrade :D :wave:

11. I was under the impression that the normal vaping temp does not supply a complete combustion of all canaboids (reason for the real head high that you get from it). Could using a bong allow you to increase you temp to a point where you get a more complete burn, and a smooth hit still?

12. In my experience with vaporizers, you're better off actually combusting the herb rather than going into 230 degree+ zones with vapor. If you've never tried it, the "vapor" is just rank, it tastes like intense burnt popcorn and hay. For sure you could improve the taste of that hit through a bong. If you want absolutely every drop out of your weed, I do think you'd be better off either:

Heat the herb longer at a vaporizing temperature and get everything out of it. *best option*

Cook with leftovers

Actually combust it

13. im doing this now too. the ice makes it so nice without filtering out any taste or thc. It may just be in my head but i notice my friends and I get higher without using water. anyone test this out? some days use water in the bong, some days use nothing. the days we use nothing we get obliterated

14. OP makes a good point. I don't see how a bong could increase the high or better it in any way. Logically the only thing that could happen is a -slight- loss in THC. Sure it may be minimal, but why?

I like glass so I'm hoping theres an answer, but like OP I don't see how there could be one.

Hoping someone more knowledgeable has an idea.

15. using a bong on a vape is purely aesthetic.. it serves no purpose other than loving to hit bongs

16. [quote name='"onotadaki"']

In my experience with vaporizers, you're better off actually combusting the herb rather than going into 230 degree+ zones with vapor. If you've never tried it, the "vapor" is just rank, it tastes like intense burnt popcorn and hay. For sure you could improve the taste of that hit through a bong. If you want absolutely every drop out of your weed, I do think you'd be better off either:

Heat the herb longer at a vaporizing temperature and get everything out of it. *best option*

Cook with leftovers

Actually combust it[/quote]

Ummm no. Not at all. Around 320 is where you want. The roasted herb taste occurs when its about done. If you get nothing but hay taste you're probably.combusting it.

17. [quote name='"Heosphoros"']OP makes a good point. I don't see how a bong could increase the high or better it in any way. Logically the only thing that could happen is a -slight- loss in THC. Sure it may be minimal, but why?

I like glass so I'm hoping theres an answer, but like OP I don't see how there could be one.

Hoping someone more knowledgeable has an idea.[/quote]

Think about taking an entire trench of vapor in one shot. Intense. That's about the only reason i see

18. [quote name='"Nate489"']

Think about taking an entire trench of vapor in one shot. Intense. That's about the only reason i see[/quote]

That's true. But I feel like you could do a similar thing without the bong.

I feel like a bong is useful when smoking because it filters and cools the hit, and with the large volume it allows you to take a very large hit with relative ease.

With vapor there isn't anything to filter out. Hot smoke can irritate sure, so I understand wanting it to be cooled down, but wouldn't a similar thing be accomplished with some sort of glycerin/ice attatchment? Or even leaving the tube in the fridge or something.

Either way I plan on doing it when I get a vape, because it's not like I don't have a bong. But this threads made me think about it, and I certainly feel vape-bonging with a multi-chamber bong would be pretty pointless.

19. I have a stemless double perc bubbler and an mflb. Im getting the waterpipe attachment for it