Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Vape pen for concentrates?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by weyrsinger, Oct 6, 2013.

1. I've been smoking for a few years but I'm new to medical marijuana and I've just learned about concentrates. I'm curious about trying dabbing, but not curious enough to drop well over $100 on an oil rig (not to mention, I'm not even sure it's something I'd want to do regularly anyway). And I don't know anyone that has one so trying it with a friend isn't really an option. Are there any pens that can compare or should I just not bother? If a pen would be a good solution, could you suggest some that would be a good compromise between budget and quality?

Thanks!

2. Micro G Pen. 

Cloud Vapor.

Look 'em both up and form your own opinion based on other's experiences! 

3. #3 nascarfan, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
    Ehhhhhh, vape pens (ecigarettes is what we're talking about basically, if you're trying to keep it cheap) don't really work very well with weed concentrates. At least none that are readily available or easy to make. I use a ecigarette as my nicotine delivery device. The sort of liquid you need, it needs to be viscus, but also very thin to work well, and absolutely has to be homoginized; you can't have ANY chunks or bits floating in the liquid. The liquid also needs to be, for a lack of a better word, clean. That means it can't have a lot of stuff that'll leave a significant residue or film or anything like that.

Let me explain to you how this device works. There is a battery. You scew your delivery device onto the battery. The delivery device has a coil inside that heats up when the battery is activated, and some sort of air tube for a draw. When you inhale, the drawing motion helps the liquid to wick (be drawn up to the coil), the coil vaporizes the liquid, and voila. Now, when talking about THC/weed concentrates, your biggest problem is the type of liquid you're going to end up with, with a concentrate. It's very viscus. No matter what you do, it's very mucky. And there's usually some plant matter in it. This won't do for this sort of vaporizer. If the liquid is too viscus, it won't wick properly and you'll just be getting a burnt taste and it won't be pleasant. If the liquid is too mucky, and has plant material in it, you'll be burning your liquid/plant bits on the coil. Then you're just smoking it. Plus these sorts of liquids will gunk up your delivery device so fast, you'll be going through several a day. That's money down the drain. Cartomizers are usually about a buck 50 a pop or more, and new coils for rebuildable clearos/clearo tanks are just as expensive. Nonrebuildable clearos and clearo tanks can range from a couple dollars, to five bucks a piece.

Honestly? To get this sort of set up to even work (if you even can) isn't going to be worth it, in effort or cost. Granted, some people have done it sucessfully. Dispenseries sometimes sell these....but they're professionals, doing professional tincture extractions. You probably don't have those skills. If you were going to get it to work at all, you'd need to make a THC tincture (not any concentrate, it has to be a tincture) somehow. A clean one, with no plant matter, and no fats (you DO NOT want fat in your lungs so don't even try butter or cooking oil). So....pretty much in terms of what you can do without thousands of dollars in equipment, you're left with the option of an alcohol extraction, and you've got to do it well. No plant material left when you're done. Even if you can get a clean extraction, it's very harsh on the lungs, and brings alcohol exposure to the table. Do you want to consume alcohol with your herb? Is vaporizing worth it if you're putting alcohol in your lungs?

Once you've got your alcohol extraction, it's a fairly simple process of diluting with a mixture of Proplyene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerin to your concentrate (I'd recommend a 60/40 blend in addition to the acohol extraction for the best wicking viscosity, expecially if you're using coils and not a carto). That's the easy part. But the extraction will be no walk in the park. It'll take time, effort, and the end result isn't going to be terribly healthy for your lungs with the alcohol....isn't that the whole point of vaping?

If you're interested in concentrates like BHO or any sort of hash, I'd get a blowtorch lighter and a concentrate vapor set up for a bong. I can't imagine they'd be that expensive. They're just small glass pieces. Maybe I'm wrong about that. If you're interested in vaporizing, get a Magic Flight Lunch box.

Now, all that said, if you can find a reliable source for a clean tincture. Go for the vapor pen. They're awesome devices in general.

4. The best advice i can give, is for you to get a new attachment for you bong that will allow you to smoke concetrates. If you dont have a bong, the you next option is dropping some of the hash on top of a bowl of bud. It wont be the same, but youll get thc.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. i have a cloud vape pen i love it. great for concentrates. im still experimenting with different consistencies.  i got mine at a local collective for 70 bucks nothin at all for what u get. 

6. micro g is ok but honestly the only pen thats worth it is the ninja pen by rob ward (hit him up on fb, great customer service)

7. I have several vape pens. I like the Fogpen the best (mostly because their policy on return parts), I wake up and rip it its easy on the throat and I just stick it in the case and back in my backpack and I am good for the road. The chamber also keeps pretty clean even after smoking a bunch of different oils out of it i haven't really felt the need to break it apart and clean it. I also like the fact that I can see the vapor in the chamber because it is a clear case above the heating element. I think they are a relatively new company so if you have any problems with the product all you have to do is email the company and they will send you the part you are having problems with at no cost.