Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Vape hits giving me the coughs?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Blandy, Jul 3, 2012.

1. I recently purchased DBV and man is this thing amazing. But are vapes really that much stronger than bowls? I've been smoking bowls for the past few days after smoking my DBV for a week, and they have been doing very little for me. Also, why do I cough so damn much when I vape? I thought they were supposed to give cleaner hits.

2. they're cleaner, but personally it feels dryer in my throat. are you getting a throat (tickle) cough or a lung cough

3. That is the cannabinoids going to work!
    Really you find they don't get you high anymore?
    Try upping the temperature I guess?
    Idk man that sucks, I never had that problem

4. I think he is talking about the bowls not effecting him anymore.

As for the cough, when you first feel that "tickle", I have found, it means you've hit it too long, those are "piggy" coughs. It's hard to tell, when you are first using a vap, just how big of a hit you are getting.

5. How hot do you vape at? I have a box vape and usually set it to around 230 and it vapes well. As for the bowls not affecting you, that's probably just the tolerance you built up from vaping, take a tolerance break and you should be good
    :respect:

6. Exactly try smaller hits I was getting overzealous with mine too. :wave:

7. I love my vaporizer. Get such creamy, milky hits out of it with a bong combo. Sometimes I get so high off of so little I just don't know what to do with myself.

8. vapor is essentially hot dry air. try to take either smaller hits or filter it through water preferably. if its not getting you high turn the temp up.

9. 230?? That sounds crazy low. Optimum vaping temp is 375. If it works for you, great, but I doubt you're getting more than 1/2 of the cannabinoids.

10. He is most likely talking Celsius. Celsius wise, 185-230C is a good range. Cant say I'd go past 230C since I've had bowls that combusted at 230C.

11. The coughing thing is explainable.
    If you've gone over from smoking to vaping, as the liquid content in the vapour goes into your throat/lungs it starts kind of loosening the congested material that anyone that's been a smoker of any kind will have - So, you tend to cough, but it's good news because you're clearing all this crap out.
    It's temporary.
    Your lung capacity will actually increase over time if you vape only.

It can "feel" a bit harsh, if it's quite hot.
    Take slower hits.

12. [quote name='"RandomThoughts"']If you've gone over from smoking to vaping, as the liquid content in the vapour goes into your throat/lungs it starts kind of loosening the congested material that anyone that's been a smoker of any kind will have [/quote]

Very interesting, do you have any proof of this? Like a study or something?

13. Just bits and pieces I looked into when making my own decision a few years back. Many sources said that the vapour facilitates the clearance of congested material. Also going on my own personal experience too. Coughing was pretty common at first, but when I stopped smoking completely to vape it got less and less...but not before I hacked out a fair bit of crap - which is now gone.
    My lungs feel better, I breathe deeper and just don't really cough any more at all.

14. Yea I was going to say the same thing. It took me a little to used to the right temp and length of the hit you want once I first got my vape, an SSV. I tend to notice a "tickle" as well and that's when I know to take the whip off and clear whatever is left. Practice makes perfect my friend so smoke up!!!!:D

15. I find I don't get as high from a bowl as I used too also. Been Vaping for about a month

16. Yeah I was coughing too. The air is too hot and causes tingling and coughing. Get a Volcano vaporizer, it cools air in a BIG balloon. Or get a Coolit Baby pipe, it has some crazy shit inside that cools smoke.

17. #17 Sam3352, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
    On review of other replies in this topic... my long shpeel was not needed. And i missed the bit about the air being really fucking dry. But ive left it in cos i think the long descriptive route of my personal experience with vapes could help someone who hasnt tried it, to understand what its like. It might help make soemone whos questioning whether they are doing it right realise they are good. so... i dont know wht ever, gay shit.... lol fuck mang, i must have been bored i wrote so much... lol id love a volcano though. but im not sure if the cooler vape works as good... ive only used 1 once tbh, and that was when i was in 'DAM and i was already high as a kite :) ... lightbulb vape other than that for a good couple years. and Js or bongs with mates. Bacteria filled Js though, i dont under stand how its standard without baccy in america and canada... a J of pure weed is not only harder to smoke it gets you a lot higher and uses a lot more weed.. Man i always turn topic discussions into general discussions. i fucking digress to much. lol ah welll, might be of use to some one... dont care if its not tbh ill never find out will I ... i wont be checking back on this thread...

yeah ive been using a lightbulb vape for a couple years as i have found that if your careful about the heating, and more importantly the making (aka, you dont wanna inhale glass or other bad shit), then they are just as good as any little cheap vape... yeah they break after a while, and without some shelter they can be hard to use. Honestly i have never had a problem, ive had them crack while ive been using them and binned it but i dont want to lead anyone to inhale glass so just be careful like yours truly. (me) lol. I digressed.

But yeah, they get you so beaned of such a small amount of weed... 1 pinch of weed can get you a few hits until its 'fully vaped to shit' and im fuckin high as a kite... when starting out id stick to 1... maybe 2 (if your not feeling the effects).

Regarding the 'greedy cough'. Couldnt think of a more perfect term for it. lol. I know that when ive coughed its generally after hitting it that little bit to much, mainly. But also you want to make sure your weed is completely clean. You get a lot more of the taste when vaping for whatever reason. Ive coughed and turned my nose up at a vape hit in the past, only to later find there was a small bit of hair or something in the bulb...
    Not being careful on the heating, or impatience, seems to make me cough too. If i try to heat up to quickly theres a lot higher chance that ill cough... not sure why tbh... not to mention you will probs burn it cos it can be hard to manually control the temperature.
    If i was talking to myself when i started using LBV (lightbulbvape) id tell me to not hold the flame any closer than 2cm to the tip of the flame. Have patience at the start as it will take a while to start vaping properly but 2cm from the tip will ensure you dont burn it and reduce the chances of coughing. Now when i do it, i tend to lick the flame closer and keep it moving to heat a larger area more evenly but id say my fail, or burn, or cough rate (lol) increases with this impatience...

Now, to be more scientific. id have heard more and more of weed being a cleanser and studies have even shown it seemingly has some kind of "protective effect" on the lungs... who would have guessed eh? lol But i have found when ive vaped a bit to much and got the 'greedy coughs', and id for sure describe it as a lung cough... although to be honest, it feels like a throat cough at the end too.. But in the end, apart from feeling waay higher my throat and lungs feel much clearer, i seem to cough up a stickier form of phlemb not like your usual spit or 'snot'. But i can feel the 'vape' clean my lungs and then the phlemb, which taste of weed real bad! lol, makes you cough till its all up, which can take a few mins sometimes cos its sticky, i guess? (but, like honestly, if i get the greedy cough, once ive coughed for a bit and spat out any phlemb... soooo lean)

Now, i only use vape when im at home at my computer, surfing, gaming watching shit, going to bed... or if i have a good mate over.. or not much green (cos it goes so much further) over a couple years now it has for sure made me use a lot less weed than if i was burning it. FOR SURE. no arguing. not only through getting more out of a pinch of weed the high seems to last longer and i dont feel the need to go and 're-medicate' not for at least a couple hours off a few hits from 1 pinch of weed ... But if you wanna stay real lean id say top up every hour or so with a couple vape hits. But generally i do it as i feel, which usually ends up being a few hours after or just no more hits cos it tails of so nicely...

Other thigns to note that i havent gone into and cant be bothered to now... I use a candle cos holding a lighter on for a minute or 2 while your heating and hitting uses shit fuck tons of gas... i use a jet lighter sometimes but the more extreme heating seems to make the glass much more fragile, although these are good for outside use, as are candles in some kind of cup, sometimes.
    hmmm, feel like ive missed a couple points but i hope my messy, unstructured shitload post gives some people interested in saving weed? getting higher? smoking less? healthier forms of toking? a good insight on how another noob got started on vaping with a lightbulb and wasnt a dumb fuck and ended up like hurr durr i cant work this!! lol. Lightbulb vapes do work, it would be the user who doesnt. Most of all use common sense and i wouldnt have had to write this whole post (to counter act all the hurr durr ppl i see on the internet who say it doesnt work or act like some kind of king who could possibly look like they are smoking crack just cos thats vaped too, i think? just being pompus pricks imo.
    Although im sure id love to have read something like this when i was thinking about lightbulb vapes prior to trying them. why the fuck did i even write all this? so sad. lol. in all honesty though, i think this transparent description of what its like for me, vaping, should give others a good insight. OO last point, regarding TOLERANCE. I dont httnk im so affected by the vaping cos i take it easy and dont use it to get real beaned all the time. although i do vape often (daily or every other day but usually only a couple hits) and a couple times a week have a smoke up with some mates. But id did find, in the past, that when i vaped a bit more the tolerance got up a bit but seemed seperate to smoking, ie. when i smoked again, it seemed to get me higher, until tolerance to smoking got up again.. lol i dont know weird human bodies we got. take it easy, peace out.

18. Also check out Volcano Temperature Setting Basics The comments on this page go into some discussion about the dryness of your 'product' and tempratures and stuff. also it will make you want an overly-expensive volcano. i might make one out of an old popcorn machine though, for less than a 1/4 of the price. peace out

19. Yo seriously, vaping sometimes makes me cough almost to the point of vomitting. I can't help it but I can smoke and be just fine. Idk.

20. yeah i know what you mean... sounds like the greedy cough or your weed isnt 100% clean... you pick up of an illegal dealer? does he keep it 100% clean? in an environment as if he was preparing food? nope i know ive never seen a dealer like that here in essex. normally a little bit chavvy... even the ones that are real safe and seem well alright.