Valid Pipe Dreams?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by PsychicImmortal, Jun 25, 2011.

1. No, I'm not talking about smoking, I'm actually talking about pipes, specifically ones that are engineered to carry water from the ocean to __________,.. where? The deserts.

What could this possibly achieve? Quite a few things, and then maybe many more after assuming the environment relationships based upon that.

First, it would expedite the precipitation of the climate in areas of the world that are arid and dry. That would then allow agriculture to evolve slowly, but steadily over time.

Second, as you might know, deserts are very hot, bringing water to the deserts would significantly cool off the temperature of the ground surface.

And less noticably, the sea level would drop, allowing more land to be used.

Ultimately, the implementation of a pipe dream could quell the effects of hurricanes, and quite possibly end war around the earth, by allowing rainfall, and subsequently fresh, clean water, to appear abundantly for use, and therefore, more food for people to eat as well.

Pipes are an extremely effective way to target specifica areas of the world that could benefit from such a project, but there are also other natural ways to improve the flowing of water, drawing channels from the oceans to the inlands also works, but requires significantly more effort.

Besides, the world is constantly on the search for new jobs, and such a project, if it could find an adoptor, would create hundreds of thousands of jobs rather quickly.

The whole idea though is rather crucial, and would require lot of thinking before hand, and a professional opinion to decide exactly where such pipes should be placed.

2. You will enjoy this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otIU6Py4K_A]YouTube - ‪The Accidental Sea‬‏[/ame]

3. I'm not too sure about all this.

4. I suddenly realize the point of this thread. Very clever. I won't spoil the underlying significance. :D

5. #5 PsychicImmortal, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011
    I'd also like to point out that very little research has been done on the deserts, specifically what is happening underneath them, there may very well be an evolving foundation for an ecosystem growing beneath the sands, the implementation of water into massive deserts could have a dramatic effect on the ecosystems, very likely acting as a catalyst in some cases.

The exclusiveness of such events though should be preserved, so that there is a diversity of ecocultures developing in their own unique ways.

Just as well, I think that it would be possible and very beneficial to consider another kind of pipe dream, those related to volcanos.

Ideally a siphon could be made to draw out the magma at a constant rate over time, and if used creatively, that material could be used to make things as well as become a source of power.

Additionally, like building pipes to deserts, pipes dug into volcanos could diminish the impact of natural disasters, and instead be converted into something positive.

Such studies have rarely been conducted or thought about, even by the most estute scientists in the world, I imagine, so there is very little if any influence to draw upon except that which you exert yourself.