Using urine as fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Nisai, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Hi guys, 

I'm pretty new to outdoor grows and have been researching putting together a good soil mix. My issue is that I live on a small island in the Mediterranean and it's pretty hard to come by most organic additives. I was wondering if soil amended with egg shells, ground (used) coffee beans, some organic matter and urine (yes URINE) would do the trick?

I've done some research on this and there are now slowly starting to be more studies into what would otherwise be just a waste product, and it seems like most healthy pee contains very high amounts of N, as well as medium amounts of P and K. I'm uncertain as to whether it would be a "perfect" mix, especially during flowering, but it would be very interesting to get your take on this. I would like to stay organic as much as possible.

Has anyone tried using urine as fert before? Getting past the "yuck factor" isn't much of an issue to me, but I know it grosses some people out.

Thanks and happy 4/20!

2. http://arc.peacecorpsconnect.org/view/482

Excerpt:
    " Urine as a fertilizer- Urine is a locally produced resource that is free.  As a fertilizer it is effective, is a high quality fertilizer, urine is sterile and requires no processing other than dilution, is readily available, can be used immediately or stored, rapid acting, and is easily applied. Urine provides a constant supply of fertilizer, instead of the annual or semi-annual composting systems that require physical labor to aerate and require management.

As a fertilizer, urine is rich in nitrogen and also contains substantial amounts of phosphorus and potassium.  A family of four produces enough urine to fertilize 1/3 of an acre at a rate compared to the application of 100kg per hectare in developed countries -note that Africa currently has the lowest fertilizer use in the world at 8.5kg per hectare.  The use of urine as fertilizer has been studied by Arba Minch University  in Ethiopia and the Sodo Agricultural Department investigated the use of human urine as fertilizer for different crops. Their research indicates equal or higher yields of maize and wheat when fertilized with urine when compared with the applications of chemical fertilizer."

3. don't pee on your plants

4. in poverty stricken areas of the globe, and remote areas where it is hard to obtain gardening supplies/fertilizers, urine use is alot more commin than perhaps in the US or UK.

5. I've come across this thread bcuz I was searching for the same information.

I started using the urine as fertilizer a week ago in my backyard garden specifically a Watermelon plant that was yellowing. I did one application two nights ago but we had torrential rains yesterday. However by the looks seems to be turn greener again.... I'll post a picture as soon is sunny

6. You can use urine. However, there are a couple of things you should be wary of. First of all, it's a myth that urine is sterile. Urine is full of bacteria. People that are forced to drink urine often do get very sick. I don't think you'll get sick applying it to soil, but you don't really want anything competing with your beneficial bacteria. Second of all, urine can burn your plants if applied directly. If you really want to use urine, you could start a compost pile and dumb urine on it. It would help to cycle the compost faster and add a bunch of Nitrogen. If you skip that route and add it straight to the soil, just be aware of how much you use and don't overdo it. It is a wonderful free amendment though. 

7. Thanks for the info. The one and only batch I made diluted in what looks like 1:5 ratio with water.

Since I have more time in hands, I'll do a small experiment in 1 gallon container. One control with organic soil and feed organic nutrient

The second one will be in the same soil but feed urine diluted

We'll see how it goes, stay tuned!

8. Just make sure you flush the shit out of your plants before harvest, not sure if the buds would taste of piss but I wouldn't take the chance!

9. #9 zeroshawdow, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2015
    I will brother! However, the idea is to use urine whenever the leaves indicates that need fertilization. In addition, I read the countries that are using urine as fertilizer they stop tne treatment 4 weeks prior harvest.

I don't get spook by the fact is urine, because in the Grand Scheme of All Things we are growing plants out dead matter, animals and worms poo and microbes are doing the work at those roots, to my perception urine is the most cleanest, LOL.

Today I applied another watering with urine to my watermelon bcuz the leaves are yellowing and would be perfect to see if the urine dilution have a positive effect.

Keep you posted

10. You should use some non-organic nutrients formulated for marijuana and you will get a lot better success than half assing an organic grow. Order something like advanced nutrients or holland secret if you don't have a hydro shop.

11. #11 zeroshawdow, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2015
    @Synthesizer - who's half assing ? I'm just making an experiment? I've been growing for 6 years Hydroponically, however, I'm the type of guy with a huge craving for curiosity and I like to try anything first hand, not by other people experience. Don't get me wrong, I take other experince into account whenever I'm doing something but at the end.... I don't like to follow from the get go... I like to come to my own conclusion.

You'll be surprised how many people via internet are self called expert and they don't know jack or simply the are making echo about something they read in a forum or website without doing the cross reference sources.

FYI: Advanced Nutrients User and very soon "EX-A/N User" lol

ZS

• Like Like x 1
  12. I piss on my pear tree every day but I wouldn't piss directly on soil in which I was growing weed. Fresh urine is too hot and needs a good soil culture and/or lime. I agree with the idea of pissing into a compost bin that includes coffee grounds, eggshells, vegetable waste, grass clippings, leaves, whatever organic material you can come up with. Turn the compost every few days to aerate it, and you will build up a good organic soil amendment - but over a period of months.

If you're growing now and you can't come up with organic fertilizer, I would not hesitate to use chemical fertilizer. I am growing organically this year, but I don't kid myself. I'm a hobbyist growing a personal brand. "Organic" is on the label because it makes everyone feel good. I could get the same practical result with Miracle Gro, for less money.

13. Two years back when i was in portugal, we pissed in the organic garden, the owner said it was a good fert. I dont recommend using urine in pots or indoors tho.

14. I was talking about for growing bud, it's fine if you want to test something on your watermelons or a couple plants but why would you use urine for your whole season of outdoor instead of a real fertilizer is all I'm saying... waste of time and yield..

15. #15 zeroshawdow, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2015
    @charles wilkes - one thing, I'm enjoying about the whole organic approach is the sustainability and the savings in nutrients. Yes is true, you can grow anything from Miracle Grow up to ATAMI. However the real savings of organic start when you just re-use the same soil and in my opinion, feel better in my mind.

@synthetizer - experiment, hypothesis, scientific method you take ur pick. In your eyes might seems like a waste of time and yield and I understand your perception. However, you are missing the point. This is not by no means a replacement for nutrient and a good soil build, just thinking out of the box

Just water and tea. The cost of building my soil per 5 gallons per growing season is $2.00

Not a bad a way to avoid Miracle Grow

View attachment 1800718

View attachment 1800719