Using TAP water with coco??

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by masterlights, Sep 14, 2010.

1. if they are not using chlorine they are probably using chloramine. chlorine/ammonia. kinda like food i saw yesterday said no msg on the label, but in the ingredients there was monosodium l-glutamate, which msg is monosodium l-glutamine. ask them about chloramine. i'd be interested in the response.

2. So besides chlorine, what is so bad about tap water then?

If lime and calcium is ok, man I got a #@$#@$ ton of that in my water...

What ppm levels are you guys looking at? the chlorine level?
    what meter do I need to test this....

3. I feed with tap water, let sit for 24 hours, no chlorine. My tap is 40-70PPM, kind of fluctuates.

4. Chlorine is bad but you can let it evaporate if you let the water sit open for a day. My town water has a pH of 8.5 which is wicked high. I'm sure there's other chemicals in there that are bad but I think some of the minerals in there are good for the plants.

To measure what parts per million of things are in water you need an EC meter or something similar. There's different types. Read around, you can find them.

5. My tap water also has a high ph and high ppm. It comes out of the tap at 7.6 but after it sits for a while it jumps up to 8.5 and the ppm range from 350-400. I use half tap and half RO. Brings my ppms down to about 190 usually. After adding nutes I just need a lil ph down to get it to the right range.

• Like Like x 1
  6. So besides chlorine, what is so bad about tap water then?

If lime and calcium is ok, man I got a #@$#@$ ton of that in my water...

What ppm levels are you guys looking at? the chlorine level?
    what meter do I need to test this....

7. Hey, you can always look up a municipal water report. Try google.

8. Unpredictable amounts of Calcium and total dissolved solids. Balance is key when growing cannabis, not just throwing every nute at it in varying levels. Having hard water can upset the balance with your nute regiment, cause lock outs of variable elements, and reduce overall yield. Side note, I use tap water :)

9. the great thing about using tap water and coco is that usually tap water is high in cal/mag and plants in coco godam eat that shit up.my last coco grow with tap water went perfect the entire time.all the leaves stayed nice and green throughout flower with no problems.using tap,cal mag, and dolomite pelletized lime in the coco i stll had some purpling of the leaf stems lol.thats how much cal mag these bitches use.so with my experience so far tap water has been fine.in terms of throwing off the balance of your nute regimine i always go half the recomended dose of the nutes and later in flowering i up it to a lil more.but i never go full strength.

10. do you pH balance masterlights?

11. hell yea.after i add all the nutes and such i ph around 5.8-6.3

12. Thats the most enthusiasm I have ever seen about Ph. :D