Using Rabbit Poop for Nutrients?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ThatOneBro, Jan 30, 2013.

1. So my sister has a rabbit, and it poops. A lot.

So to utilize some of this waste, my mom (a very avid gardener), decided to put it on her rose bushes in a way to give it nutrients. The flowers of the rose bush were absolutely brilliant and vibrant compared to past flowerings. I'm wondering if this concept could be used for marijuana. My grow is indoors, very small (two plants), and i'm currently feeding it tomato/vegetable food once every week. If I mixed in the rabbit poop with the food, would that help? I've read that its wonderful because you don't have to wait for it to become usable like other manures. If i can use it, how should i prepare it? Thanks.

2. im interested in this as well

3. Rabbit poo will be high in nitrates i think.

This could be a cheap and effective way of feeding your plants during the vege stage.

however - Organic fertilizers like rabbit poo are useless to plants without microorganisms - they eat the raw ingredients and what they excrete is usable by the plants.

It can take months or even years to get the dirt to the point where it has anything substantial that the plants can use. This time scale is great for outdoor growing - but not so great for indoor, where a plant can finish its entire life cycle in under 100 days.

This is why the organic growers are shit bubbling - they use air pumps to bubble air through a manure tea - this encourages multiplication of the micro-organisms - very clever but quite smelly and hard to quantify IMO

Most indoor growers prefer to be able to quantify their feeds and opt for the simplicity and stealth of a chemical fert.

So they know exactly how much of a particular nutrient a plant is receiving over a set time - this is important - a plants requirements change a lot throughout its overall life.

You may be a lot cleverer than me and have more time also - so you might make it work - I probably wouldn't reccomend it though.

4. You could probably get away with using it fresh, but it’s always best to fully compost any manure before adding it to your plants to avoid contamination.

5. That's the thing though- i read that you didn't have to wait for it to compost before adding it. I specifically remember that about it. I don't know why though haha

6. #6 baumeister, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
    rabbit shit is a great organic fertilizer if used correctly, rabbits being herbivores its a rather easy to use one as well I believe, you could get away with much higher concentrations and earlier stages of decomposition than pig shit or stuff like that. I think your plants are gonna like it if you add just a little (2-5% by volume is what I might try), the microbes should start breaking it down into stuff that the plants can digest within a few weeks, as long as you dont kill them with chemical fertilizers or crap like that.
    if you want to mix some really good organic soil, check out the organics section of this forum. you will definitly be able to encorporate your rabbit shit.

7. cheers man! much appreciated, also, i found this stuff called bayer advanced all in one rose and flower care. it has a nitrogen of 9%, phophate of 14%, and 'solubale potash' of 9%. Would i be able to use that?

8. dont use anythign thats not made to be used on plants intended for human consumption, there may be heavy metals and shit in there that you absolutely do not want to smoke.