Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Using piperine to enhance bioavailability?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by j-mf-s, Sep 18, 2012.

1. I know black pepper extract increases the bioavailability of circumin in turmeric. Is there any evidence to suggest that this may work with cannabinoids?

2. Nobody? The potential of this seems pretty fascinating tonight.

3. Badkitty should be able to help you out with this. She should be here shortly.. if not you can always PM her

4. Hopefully so! Her inbox was full earlier. How's it hangin man?

5. [quote name='"j-mf-s"']Hopefully so! Her inbox was full earlier. How's it hangin man?[/quote]

its all good. Still haven't run out of that blue dream :smoke: ah the beauty of having zero tolerance.

6. I'm not sure whether or not black pepper extract will increase bioavailability of cannabinoids.
    But I do know something that will...

Lecithin!

A common dietary supplement, used as an emulsifier, will help produce a more homogeneous solution while also facilitating bioavailability upon consumption.

Commonly used to make less sugar taste more sweet or less chocolate taste more rich, etc...
    It's cheap, easy to find, and virtually odorless/flavorless, which is why I swear by the stuff when making edibles.

Sometimes I'll add Lecithin while processing oil, and the again when combining wet/dry ingredients. More bioavailability and a much more consistent batter. Win/Win!!

Sorry I can't answer your original question, but I hope this information helps!

7. Thanks! Yea I know about lecithin. Great stuff, I'm just looking for more ways to enhance absorption.

8. I was going to create a thread on this, but I think i will just bump this one!

9. I don't know if it affects the absorbtion of cannabanoids, but it does have a stimulant effect that might synergize nicely with your high

10. Hmm, ya i wonder. I know it also helps with absorption of nutrients from vegetables. 

11. #12 Giese48, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
    bump  to  the  top   [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]    

12. Thanks man I'm really curious about this. I'm going to have to make some caps with black pepper and experiment for myself.

13. Supplements that aid or hinder enzyme activity, and how much or little it can help or hinder your absorption (whether it will cause too little activity to metabolize effectively, or encourage too much degradation, ie. over-metabolization!) is 100% reliant on the patient in question. For the same reason a small minority of patients with 'overactive livers' will do better with long-chain fatty acids, absorbed lymphatically, some people (including the long-chain users!) can benefit from increasing or decreasing enzyme activity. :) Piperine for instance can inhibit some antioxidant enzyme activity, interacting with and inhibiting P4501A1 in particular, while potentially activating and increasing the productivity of others.

On a personal note.... I take enzyme blends and some probiotics before and sometimes after certain meals, maybe once or twice a week (the website 'iherb' rocks, by the way... I've sourced many of my supplies there, for years)! I like to think it helps in general, overall I feel much better after eating throughout the week, and I seem to absorb my meds much better than I used to during the days before I began supplementing regularly. But with that said, I haven't found a specific enzyme or a particular blend that particularly helps me with my cannabinoid absorption when taken immediately before, or shortly after I take my caps. I am a pepper fiend as far as seasoning goes, and also seem to benefit from the generally increased enzyme activity from regular (not daily, but regular) supplements, but too much of anything taken too close to a dose, seems to kill off or prevent the absorption of the cannabinoids as they pass through my liver. It doesn't necessarily, and probably doesn't, mean that the right pre-edible enzyme blend just doesn't exist for me! It could just mean that I haven't found the exact blend or enzyme to tweak, or I may need to adjust something else entirely in my diet, before they'll work optimally.

The good news though, is that patients who experiment much less than I have with trying to improve my digestion, have had much more success with modifying their enzyme activity during edible consumption! It's definitely worth looking into, just be prepared to be 'wowed' one day and maybe a little disappointed the next during your different trials!

It's not all bad, progress can actually benefit from a few flops.. knowing what to avoid and learning it first hand, is sometimes the best way trigger one of those "ahHA!" moments when it comes to what you can do next to improve the experience. :D

Stay healthy & good luck, guys! :wave:

14. Gosh, I feel bad for not having acknowledged that amazing response. Cheers to you, bad kitty! An innovator and am icon. Truly insightful stuff! Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. You want hops extract/oil or lemongrass extract (FOOD GRADE NOT THERAPEUTIC)Hops extract can have up to 70-80% myrcene content. Myrcene is a terpene which can increase cannabinoid bioavailability. It's in mangos which is why people advocate eating them prior to smoking however it is a myth because while mangos contain myrcene, its content is too low for any effect. Your best bet is hops extract and lemongrass extract. Add to your edibles along with lecithin Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. Interesting! I will have to look into the matter a bit deeper. Thanks for the input! I know less about myrcene than I would like, so this will be a great opportunity to learn more about it!Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum