Using Molasses

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Phenotype, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Hello Everyone. I have been using molasses for only a couple of grows now. I typically start adding it the third week of flowering 12/12. I use one tablespoon per gallon once a week.
    I'm wondering what everyone else's experience with molasses is and what benefits they reap from using it?

There is a lot of misinformation out here about molasses and I was curious what my fellow stoners thought about it.

Since I use organic nutrients (Botanicare Pure Blend Pro) I believe it's just as important to feed the soil as well as the plant, (carbs cannot be absorbed through roots).

The molasses I use is from Wholesome Sweeteners. It's an organic blackstrap molasses. I left the picture of it here.

I'm curious, what are your thoughts and experiences with molasses?
    :smoke:

Attached Files:

2. #2 TheNaturalist, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012
    I have the exact same brand of molasses. I use it a little more though Iv added about a teaspoon every watering since the beginning.

I have heard two opinions on molasses. The first is that it's best used during flowering to add flavor and sweetness to the buds. The second is that it's used to feed carbs to the bacteria in the soil so they can convert organic nutrients for the plant to use.

I sort of believe the first one, but mostly the second one which is why I do it. If the first one were the reason to do it, it would make sense to do it just during the end of flowering. But since I am a follower of the second idea I use it from the beginning. If its too create healthy bacteria in the soil why wouldn't you want that from the beginning?

This is my first grow so I don't have much experience yet but so far it's done me good, looking forward to seeing what other people say