Using Molasses as a nutrient

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Leapfrog, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Great post!!
    Just wondering if there are any other alternatives to molasses? or different combos with nutes?

2. There are SO MANY possibilitys...I don't even know which one to start with.

3. What must be done to the molasses before mixing it with the gallon of water.
    Does it need to be dissolved on the stove beforehand, or just thrown into the water.
    I searched this thread but could not find an answer, although i feel silly asking it.

4. all you do is add it in. Cold water is not good though. the molassas won't dissolve nearly as well or quickly as room temp water. Dn't feel silly asking. Its a valid question :)

5. 1 tablespoon per gallon i beleive is the rule of thumb

mix with room temp water, if your girls end up loving it you can probably move up to 2tblspoons

6. So it's fine to use molasses with other nutrients?
    And what about honey. How does that affect the plants. Has anyone here tried it? I'm curious.

7. Thank you very much for a clear answer myles,
    Firday is molasses start day.
    I'm excited:hello:

8. And malt extract? Has anyone experimented with that? It's 92% carbohydrates while blackstrap molasses is only around 65%.

9. #89 Murdoch, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009
    Tablespoons come in many sizes and forms. How many milliliters would you put in a gallon? Or a liter? Is there a standard size for a tablespoon in the US?

edit:
    I found out that a tablespoon is 14.8 milliliters.

10. That's correct, ~15ml

Not to be confused with a Teaspoon >>> 5ml (which has 1/3 of the volume of a Tablespoon.)

:)

11. I have two good lookin White Widow plants growing that went into flowering 10 days ago. Today I watered one with molasses and the other with malt extract. I'm curious to see if there's some difference. I wish I had the third plant same age so I could have one with just regular nutes to see the difference between all three.

12. Ive got a coupple of crazy questions for ya if you dont mind.

What about Jam (strawberry, raspberry that kind of stuff) as a nutrient? high sugars and plant carbs, possibility?

Or, that stuff the Aussies eat, Vegemite or Marmite for the Brits. Its a yeast extract thing you can put on your toast/ would this be any good as nutes, would the yeast extract stuff produce CO2 as it breaks down?

Thanks.

13. is molasses usable in hydro ebb and flow or dwc systems? I would be concerned that it would gum things up a bit but maybe diluted well enough this would not be the case.

14. There is a response about that from someone who did it a few pages back.

:)

15. Don't know, can't tell you nothing about that from experience.

Common sense is telling me to question the solubility of those products in water.

16. it would be cool if someone could put up some cannabis with molasses and cannabis without molasses photos. Hell just the pics with the molasses would be good enough to see what it does

17. I have two plants and I'm feeding one molasses but the other malt extract and they are both the same. Both look fine and bud's are growing good. I need the third plant that gets only regular nutes for reference. I'm going to do that some day.

And molasses should work fine in a bubble bucket. Nothing that can get clogged there. Maby pumps for circulation if you have a reservoir tank. But that can be easily fixed while system is running.
    I'm setting up several bubble buckets in 2 months and I'm going to try molasses in them. It will be 2 separate systems so I can put molasses in one and see the difference.

18. I have noticed adding Molasses is a pain when checking for PH levels if using the drips. It changes the color of the water dramatically. Not a huge issue though.

19. What kind of a system do you have? No clogging problems?

20. Soil grow.