Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Using marijuana for insomnia but how do I deal with the munches?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by buddabudz, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Hey guys I haven't smoked marijuana for over five years, I used to smoke for recreational purposes and it no longer fit my lifestyle. I am no judging anyone for using but I decided to quit.

However I've always had a terrible time with falling asleep and right now I'm a young guy with a bright future and a good paying job that can lead to some serious dough in thr future, think finacial industry corporate. However I have never been able to go to sleep at 12 and wake up at 7 for the life of me and it's making my career life very hard. On top of that I startred exercising just this past month everyya for one hour before I sleep think p90x. I have a strict die of 1600 calories that I eat.

However when 12 o'clock rolls around i can't fall asleep and I wake up at 9 and roll into work till 9 or 10. I'm surprised I havent gotten fired yet.

I'm also taking anti depression meds, hypothyroidism and Ritalin for ADHD, I understand that they are not thr best thing but they have REALLy helped turn my life around in a big way so thr damage they might be causing is worth it.

But I don't want to take MORE meds to help me sleep, I wanted something natural and less dangerous than sleeping meds which are notorious killers especially people who drink which I do.

I was thinking of using my marijuana (non legal state btw) right after my work out to help me with my muscle soreness and to nod off to sleep and I'd have a healthy snack and drink lots of water.

I remember when I used to smoke that I would get sleepy ESP with an indica strain, I'm planning on smoking a straight indica strain with as little as sativa as possible.

However I would get the muncheies bad! Like really bad stuff your face with taco bell and burger king white castle crave case. I don't want that.

I just want the sleep helping properties and avoid the muncheies. Is it possible to do what I want to do? I don't care about getting high or having fun I just need it to help me sleep ESP after working out

Thank you.

2. I also have done research about how thc reduces rem sleep and that it produces sleep but not the kind you need. I guess it's better than no sleep

3. It's definitely got to do with you exercising right before bed ..... You basically wake your body up .

Munchies , nothing really you can do besides be full before you smoke

Good luck finding an indica that'll work for you since your state doesn't provide safe access and your ability to choose for what will help you .

Get a OG strain ..... I think OG puts me to sleep better than KUSH cause some of them don't get you sleepy but make sure you smoke few hours before you go to sleep not right before unles you have a strong hash

Have extra alarms because you might not hear your alarm cause you'll be having a good nights sleep ....

4. The best way I've found to deal with the munchies is to have nothing bad in the house to eat. Pick up a bunch of fresh fruit -- after you've detoxed from processed sugar a bit, an apple or banana or a bunch of grapes is the perfect munchie food.

This is why I can't keep boxes of cereal in the pantry :)

5. Keep healthy munchies around, because there's no way to really "beat" the munchies. Dried fruit and nuts, rice cakes, that sort of thing.

6. That's the problem since its illegal in my state it means I'll have to grow my own to match what I need. But I guess no getting rid of muncheies then

7. The first time I ever smoked weed I was 19... I'm now 23 and have only started smoking nightly due to insomnia. I do grow my own and they all put me to sleep within 10-15 minutes. Yeah I get hungry sometimes but I'm doing it to go to bed so i go to bed within 30 minutes max.

My mom has hep c so I started growing for her.. My gf has nausea every single day and this helps within 30 seconds no matter how strong her nausea is.. And i don't just mean take the edge off it make it go away completely. Amazing plant.

I've smoked my white widow, purple Kush, giesel diesel (daytime smoke) and I'm growing critical sensi star now. Both the indica doms help me out tremendously. I decided to get the sensi star because it's 90% indica and is a heavy yielder.

If I go a night without trying to smoke I'll toss and turn till the sun comes up and then fall asleep somehow. I've just came to the conclusion the last month not to do that to myself and i smoke (actually vape) every night and fall right asleep. Good luck, hope your job doesn't have ransoms!

8. Did a doctor diagnose you with ADHD and prescribe you the Ritalin?

9. #9 tokinITguy, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
    OP, it may not be as powerful as a nice indica strain, but have you tried some natural sleep remedies that are melatonin-based? MidNite comes to mind. Might want to try it. All-natural.

Also, what do you mean you wake up at 9? I can understand insomnia, but it doesn't cause deafness.

Just a little advice. If you're shooting for that big corporate job and you're already questioning why you haven't been fired from your current job due to oversleeping, then you should probably go buy a decent alarm clock first.

EDIT: And definitely switch your P90X routine to the mornings or mid-day. Shit, if I just got done crushing an hour of cardio at 10PM, I'd probably be wide-awake for a while too.

10. Yeah doctor diagnosed me and prescribed Ritalin.

My alarm clock is the strongest in the world, lol well the loudest anyway. But I just hit the damn snooze.

I wanted to sleep at 12 am but its now 7:00 am and I havent fallen asleep :(

I'll try melatonin but I dont think it can be a good long term solution can it?

Since I have bad insomnia waking up early to do p90x is tough. I have to be at work at 8 am and work till 6 pm. So I'm guessing if I worked out at 6:30 pm then by 12 I would be tired.

But the thing is that its only since last month since I started exercising, Ive had insomnia all my life its just alot worse now that I exercise so much.

So in summary:

What I've tried:
    -Milk
    -Loud ass alarm clock
    -Forcing myself to stay in bed

What I'm going to try:
    - I'll exercise at like 6 pm instead of 10pm
    - Try melatonin and see what it does
    - Try some dank ass nuggests
    -

11. Forgot to mention I took up to 3 melatonin a night and it did nothing... Could help you initially? Nothing like smoking weed.

12. Take melatonin for at least 2 weeks by then it will start working and well, good night.

Find a strain that doesn't cause munchies. A bunch of indica's around my area don't cause munchies.

13. [quote name='"FoxMulder"']Take melatonin for at least 2 weeks by then it will start working and well, good night.[/quote]

I took it for a year before I started smoking... 5 out of 7 days it did nothing.

14. get some private reserve og that shit will kill you

15. I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but do you drink alot of coffee or take any caffeine somehow? I've read that it stays in your system for like 10-16hrs.

16. [quote name='"buddabudz"']Hey guys I haven't smoked marijuana for over five years, I used to smoke for recreational purposes and it no longer fit my lifestyle. I am no judging anyone for using but I decided to quit.

However I've always had a terrible time with falling asleep and right now I'm a young guy with a bright future and a good paying job that can lead to some serious dough in thr future, think finacial industry corporate. However I have never been able to go to sleep at 12 and wake up at 7 for the life of me and it's making my career life very hard. On top of that I startred exercising just this past month everyya for one hour before I sleep think p90x. I have a strict die of 1600 calories that I eat.

However when 12 o'clock rolls around i can't fall asleep and I wake up at 9 and roll into work till 9 or 10. I'm surprised I havent gotten fired yet.

I'm also taking anti depression meds, hypothyroidism and Ritalin for ADHD, I understand that they are not thr best thing but they have REALLy helped turn my life around in a big way so thr damage they might be causing is worth it.

But I don't want to take MORE meds to help me sleep, I wanted something natural and less dangerous than sleeping meds which are notorious killers especially people who drink which I do.

I was thinking of using my marijuana (non legal state btw) right after my work out to help me with my muscle soreness and to nod off to sleep and I'd have a healthy snack and drink lots of water.

I remember when I used to smoke that I would get sleepy ESP with an indica strain, I'm planning on smoking a straight indica strain with as little as sativa as possible.

However I would get the muncheies bad! Like really bad stuff your face with taco bell and burger king white castle crave case. I don't want that.

I just want the sleep helping properties and avoid the muncheies. Is it possible to do what I want to do? I don't care about getting high or having fun I just need it to help me sleep ESP after working out

Thank you.[/quote]

Look at the times you take your medicine for ADHD. I have noticed my Ritalin wakes my brain and of you take it 6 hours before you sleep (depending on dosage) it will stop me from being able to fall asleep.

17. The munchies is mind over matter. but if you get them bad just eat something healthier instead.

18. This, i couldnt take my ADD meds after 4pm else i would have a hell of a time sleeping. Also saw your on a strict 1600cal diet. I would suggest looking into that as under 2000 calories for a grown man is pretty low for intake unless its a preshow diet...if you want to lose weight do it slowly and gradually with a good workout routine. If your eating that little your going to get the munchies with almost anything i bet. Not to mention slowing your metabolism with such a restrictive diet isnt good for you, its one of the reasons you see people get so fat after stopping there diets.

But all in all id find some weed and enjoy it after work, figure out what works for you.

19. Put the alarm clock across the room, it will force you to exit the bed to turn it off, in some that helps. If you are handy, have the room lights turn on with the radio, you can buy timers and on/off switches for lamps. Hard to stay asleep in bright light. I find eating the MJ is good for relaxation induced sleep, whereas smoking it makes me high and hungry. Have sex/masturbate before trying to sleep. Neurotransmitter heaven. Just kind advice here: Get your ass into work on-time, or you will be posting about your new Jack in The Box job.

20. Sounds like you're a mess if you're drinking and you have all those problems you're taking meds for. Maybe you should get that taken care of first before you start worrying about shit like the munchies.