Using hypnosis to reduce tolerance effects

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by bubblekarma, Dec 4, 2014.

1. #1 bubblekarma, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
    Hmm, this is a thought that I have been wondering about. Hypnosis is a very powerful tool used to help people achieve goals that they desire. Its a powerful mind tool that can allow you to do things or feel things differently. It's been said that hypnotists can make you feel like you are high without smoking. So...

My ponder is this: Would it be possible for a person to use hypnosis to alter their perceptions such that it seems their tolerance is decreasing? Physically it wouldn't be decreasing, but your perception of the effects could be stimulated to make you feel higher everytime you smoke. Maybe even allow your mind to reach that "first-high" feeling every time you toke.

Tell me your thoughts on this!

2. Would have the same outcome if you prayed to the Hindu elephant god Ganesh.

3. Just out of curiousity, what makes you feel that way?

4. #4 BloodBooger, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
    Dont get me wrong, I'm down with a little voodoo as much as the next cat but 99% of the people who claim to be qualified to perform hypnosis are just not up to scratch......not saying it cant work...I hear that Ganesh dude is a real cool ubergod.

5. Plus...I'm highly suspicious of the whole "tolerance" issue as well...if you are smoking decent stuff, tolerance shouldnt be an issue...true enough your high isnt as "intense" but that can be down to you just being used to the effects of a certain strain...change strains...try a different terpine and cannabinoid profile....I believe the entire concept of "tolerance" is flawed.

6. #6 bubblekarma, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014

Yeah I get what you are saying. To question the trueness of hypnosis is quite another topic. I've tried to be hypnotized many times through different teqniques, but none have worked for me so far. It could almost seem that the act of hypnosis in only that: an act. Reinforced by the minds that are willing to act based on the idea that they will be made to. But from what seems like legitimate reviews, not everyone does this. Some people have mentioned that they feel they consiously just "go along" with the suggestions on purpose, while others swear they enacted them without conciously doing so.

7. #7 bubblekarma, Dec 4, 2014

I don't know about that one. I mean yes, you can do things to change it up, and switching strains and methods is a good way to do this. IMO, tolerance is a real issue. Our bodies and lives are basically just chemical reactions. The physical reason that you get high is a chemical reaction, how the body reacts when it recieves cannabanoids.

Let me say this: Tolerence itself is real. Think of a chronic pain patient. Say they started to experience pain when they were 15 years old for something that is not sugically correctable. 5 years later their pain is still there, the physical problem still exists. Now the patient has been living with the pain for 5 years. Is it less? No. But the patient is more used to the pain and is able to cope with it natrually. Tolerance, especially to pain, is a body's natarual reaction. This patient now after 25 years still has the same injury, and the same pain. However, to the patients reference, it doesn't hurt as bad as it used to. They are simply more used to the pain are their brain was effectively able to allow them to get around the pain. Although if we were to measure the brain and nerve signals, we'd probably see that they've been the same as they always have been for those 25 years, the brain is just chosing to "ignore" them. Yes the patient can bend wrong and change the pysical aspect of the injury, thus creating a new a different nerve signal that is not the normal pain. Now the patient is in excruciating pain, because the brain doesn't recognize that signal as being one its used to, thus taking "more action" and making the patient feel more pain for the same injury.

So to me, the same would apply to our weed tolerence. The body and mind adapt and gets used to things over time. Yes you can stimulate different/more powerful effects, but only when you change the physical aspect (strain type), thus changing the chemical reaction that your body reacts to, giving you a different feeling because of it. That's why a different strain type works. But go back to the other strain in a short amount of time (before your body gets used to it's absence) and you will not get as high because your body is still used to that strain and the chemical reaction that it specificly creates in your body. Every cannabis plant is different, but even so, they all have constant similarities. I beleive those constant similarities is what your brain gets used to, hence the "tolerance". Switching strains helps, but only for the difference in that particular strain (you only feel the part of the strain that is "different"). The constant similarities that you get from smoking any cannabis product will in time be adapted to, natrually, as your brain gets more used to the chemical reactions they create.

8. I think we just agreed....lol

9. #9 BloodBooger, Dec 5, 2014
    I believe that the empirical explanation of "tolerance" is a matter of perception...that doesnt make it any less real, just as you so eloquently explained...but I so often see the phrase bandied about here and on other sites as if the cannaboid uptake reaction is somehow blocked by frequent use....I believe it is not, just the perception, the mind's expectation of what has come before to return is expected....it wont...at least until the mind has had time to "unlearn" its adjustments to the chemical bombardment we put it through each time we ingest.

10. Well, I wasn't quite done with my thought yet, I had to edit that post multiple times, so there might be some things in there you didn't see the first time you read it :).

11. #11 bubblekarma, Dec 5, 2014
    Ahh IC, and yes it does appear we agree then haha.

Yeah the perception is very much real. Physically, maybe not. But we can only live based on what we percieve, so in that aspect, it doesn't matter what the reality is, to us it seems real. Only because our brain is telling us that it is. And if our brain tells us that its used to weed, that's how we are going to feel.

Hmm that kind of brings this thread back full circle, the mind is a powerful and interesting thing, capable of many things. Like hypnosis.

12. Is tolerance the "lack of high" or our subjective perception of a lack of high...maybe were in metaphysics at this point, lol

13. #13 bubblekarma, Dec 5, 2014
    Lol exactly!!

And in regard to the fact that we live according to what we percieve, why couldn't hypnosis help change the perception of the body's reaction to cannabis making it react in a simiar manner to the way it did when it experienced that very first cannabonoid?

14. Dunno....think I'll pray to Ganesh for clarity.

15. #15 bubblekarma, Dec 5, 2014
    Lol let me know what reply you get back :)

To sum up those massive paragraphs above: It seems as though tolerance is only in our minds (our perception). So if hypnosis claims abilities to alter perception in your mind, in theory, you should be able to alter how your brain perceives the tolerance (which in itself is only a perception to begin with).

16. #16 bubblekarma, Dec 5, 2014
    So here's another thing I was thinking about that, in my perception, (haha see what I did there!?) enforces the idea of this being possible.

Let's go back to that chronic pain patient. Now at age 40, the patient learns of hypnosis therapy, that can decrease pain. This works on the physiological level, because pain is also a perception. The patient still has the same nerve signals being sent to the brain, but through hypnosis, the brain is "re-taught" how to perceive those signals, making it more tolerable and less noticeable to the patient's mind (the conscious part, at least), and thus perceived as not hurting as badly.

Patients truly have reported that hypnosis has helped their pain. Possibly a placebo effect? But if you think about it, if a placebo effect obtained the requested results, was it really a placebo at all? Everything is about perception, not reality. Patients who have successful results achieved a perception change of their pain. Whether this is because the thought of being told to change caused them to change their perception on their own, or truly because the hypnotist suggested an altered perception, is still a mystery to me. Either way, the desired outcome can be achieved. Maybe that's the true meaning of hypnotism.