Using Hydrogen Peroxide to Treat and Prevent Root Rot

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Caribbean, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Do u think little amount will simulate seedlings door grow.There are in solo cups so I don't care realy for bacterias killed.?Soil is alomost all peat but pretty dense looking due its small partes.

2. How much Peroxide should I add per gallon to kill fungus gnat larvae? The last growers here left a huge problem with them and i'm scared they might still be floating around, and would it be safe to use for seedlings?

3. Using H2O2 to prevent root rot is a noob crutch, not an advanced technique.

If you get root rot, it's because your roots aren't getting enough oxygen, period.  

Over watering is the most common cause in soil.  In hydro systems, you must oxygenate your nutrients better (1-2 watt of airpump power per gallon of nutrients).  In soil, you should let your medium dry out before watering again. 

Nutrients warmer than 68F don't carry the most efficient amount of oxygen for your plants, too.  

H2O2 is unnecessary, and if you think you need it, what you really need is to improve your growing method by allowing more oxygen to your root zone.   I used to have a link to an article about this in my signature, but my signature seems to have gone away with this new forum update.

Cheers,
    Past

4. Ok so if i get a small cup and fill it up 25% with 3%h2o2 and 75% with pHd water and let my roots stay in there for a few hours, would that be ok?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I use 35% h2o2 through out my grow. Doing hydro in bubble buckets from seed to harvest. I used it to increase my DO levels in my bucket. My res temp through out my grow we're high 70's low 80's. Using the H2o2 I had no issues with root rot. Just my 2cents. I live by h2o2.

6. Try looking into beneficial Nematodes. Totally clean your room and equipment! How damp is your environment? Try to keep humidity at around 63%-65% veg., 45%-50% flower! The good news is that usually Cannabis grows too fast for the fungus gnat to have much of a detrimental effect and the larvae only eat dead root matter. The bad news is, if there isn't any, they will eat live material! Try topdressing with a couple inches of perlite. This will discourage fungus gnats and also make top dressing with ferts uber efficient. Peace! :hippie:  

7. The molasses is unnecessary as it needs micro life to break it down so the plant can assimilate it. Same as the diamond nectar. These are a waste of money if feeding with a chemical nutrient mix. Any micro life or biological controls will immediately fry and die in this environment. Lighten up your mix with plenty of amendments like perlite. If using vermiculite, be cognizant of the amount as it will stratify if too much is used. I know this will probably cause some kind if controversy, but you should only be using 35% horticultural grade H202 for products intended for consumption. Your environment is obviously way to damp and there is a serious lack of O2 going on at the root zone! Lighten your mix and let it dry more in between! Let the poor babies breathe! Peace!