using Fox farm Ocan Forest from seedlings.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by king dank, Aug 17, 2009.

1. i have head a lot about FFOF being bad and causing nute burn to seedlings. But i also read about how ppl do it all the time and its perfect. now ppl also say that it depends on the strain... so my friend has ak47 and white russian seeds. if he germinates them, so the root is at least as long as the seed when he puts in in the soil. do yuou think it would be ok?

i also read about using a mix of light warrior and FFOF, but i don't really have the budget to buy both.... anyways thanks.

2. Check out my journal in my sig. I used FFOF from the beggining, and zero burn ever! Anyone that says FFOF burns has either never grown, or never used it...but I guess there is also the possibility that the fucked something up. What size pots are you planting each seed in? I used solo's for 3 weeks without nurtient diff., and then I transplanted to 2-gal nursery pots for 4 weeks without a problem. Plenty on nutrients in the soil, and since its organic its very very difficult to burn your plants. I let mine yellow slightly before I gave them liquid nutrients so I knew most of the soils nurtients had been used up.

3. ditto that.. everything i run is in straight FFOF soil. seeds, clones, transplants etc... never ever had my plants burn from the dirt.

i think folks who have burn experience with FFOF used nutes too early on or something (just my thoughts).

you'll be fine with just that dirt and some tap water or RO water for a while.

as sUpA mentioned.. they'll tell you when they're hungry.. GL man.

4. Yup AW...you see all this crazy burn from my FFOF soil too?
    [​IMG]

5. Lmaooo thanks guys. my pots are actually going to be small. im doing a micro grow. planning to start it sometime next week or this week. Also Augustwest what is RO water? and i thought tap water is bad?

6. I used it with seedlings and it was fine. I don't care for FFOF for other reasons but it did not burn my 4 Purple Kush.

7. Tap water is fine, but you should let it sit out over night to let any chlorine evaporate and then obviously check the pH.

RO = Reverse Osmosis

8. My girls are getting tap water with no problems here(240ppm or so witha 7.4Ph). RO=Reverse Osmosis= filtered water to <5ppm.

9. Like the others, I never really had a problem with seedlings in FFOF.

10. Alright i appreciate all the replies guys, helped a lot! thanks!

11. do you also use FFOF for flowering also? or which fox farms soil do you use?

12. FF Ocean Forest from day 1 to day last over here :hello:

13. ah good to know thank you. i was using ff light warrior for seedling/clones and then something else for flowering

14. Hi,

I planted Strawberry Cough first in coco fiber starters and then moved them to FFOF/FF Light Warrior/Perlite mix. They did fine for a week, then quit growing, then started turning yellow and brown and curling up.

My guess was that the FFOF was too rich for the tiny plants, so I flushed one plant, replanted one plant in just Light Warrior, and watered one plant. The others I left as-is. I did these things 24 hours ago, and I see no change in any of the plants.

This is my 1st soil grow. If these plants were in a hydro system, I would check the PPM of the nutrient and so forth... But I don't know what to do with soil other than ask on here and hope for effective advice.

Responses appreciated.

Related Post

Attached Files:

15. What's the PH of your feed and run-off?

Have you begun to fertilize yet?

Did you add anything to the soil (vermiculite, perlite, worm castings, bat guano, etc)?

16. Same here, and never had a problem with the soil....all burn/deficiency problems I encountered were my own fault.

17. The pH of the tap water here is about 7.1, but the beginners soil thread I read said that pH of the water in soil really doesn't matter because the soil determines the pH, so I haven't bothered to adjust the pH of the water. I assume the FF soil that cost out the wazoo has the pH right. Do I need to be adjusting the water pH? I have never checked the runoff pH, but I will the next time I water.

I have not fertilized with anything. I didn't think that these little twig plants could really have used anything up in the dirt yet.

I mixed the soil 2 parts FFOF, 2 parts FFLW, and 1 part perlite if I remember correctly. I got the recipe from a post on here.

18. I wouldn't use any ferts. or nutes for the first month of vegging if you're using MG or soil with ferts. and nutes already. No need for any of that stuff until flowering.

19. I used MG when I first potted the seed starters. The seedlings went to crap right off the bat. I repotted them in the mix mentioned above, and they grew great for about a week, then stopped growing, and are now going to crap again. I wonder now if I went from the too much nute extreme to the not enough nute extreme.

I have 1 plant repotted in just FFLW, one pot in FFOF, one pot with the original mix flushed with tap water, and one pot with the original mix watered with distilled water. I guess time will tell if nobody sees an obvious flaw.

20. #20 SiRbUdZaLot84, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2009
    Check your pot size and make sure the roots have plenty of growing space... They may be rootbound. I also use Miracle Grow Organic Choice soil, it's like $4-5 for a big bag of it at Home Depot.. I haven't used ferts. or Nutes yet and my plants are doing great. They are also in 8 inch pots. here's a vid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x5deNI3Lhw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x5deNI3Lhw[/ame]