Using e-cigarretes to quit smoking

Discussion in 'E-Liquids & E-Juice, E-Cigarettes' started by vebg, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Has anyone tried quitting smoking with the help of e-cigs?

2. I quit smoking using patch and vape. I found the patch to be more effective for weaning myself off nicotine addiction, but neither patch nor e-cigs really addressed the most crucial part of quitting for me , which was "breaking the habit." I was astounded to discover how many discrete triggers there were that made me want to smoke! Here's a very short list -- going to the doctor. Going to the airport. after a meal. after waking. before going to sleep. when taking a dump. when angry. when stressed. when tired. when cold. when bored. Getting on the freeway. getting off the freeway. seeing a cop. seeing an accident. hearing the traffic report. getting in the left lane on the freeway. getting stuck in traffic... that's a short sample.

For me, nicotine addiction was the easiest part of smoking to get over. It was breaking the damn smoking habit that proved so tough! But if you find yourself in similar straits, remember you have a useful weapon in your arsenal: the knowledge that you really don't want to use nicotine any more, at all, ever. That's useful because when you get the urge you already know it for b.s. so you're better prepared to push back against it.

My $.02

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Yes, I have used e-cigarettes. It is a very good alternative way of smoking. It gives the same feeling as smoking but is not dangerous for health as smoking. I have stopped my smoking completely with the help of e-cig. You can also try it to stop your smoking.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I just quit using juul

5. I do have an e-cigarette, but it really is hard to quit smoking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. You may find this to be interesting if you are trying to quit tobacco! “Cannabidiol reduces cigarette consumption in tobacco smokers: Preliminary findings” http://cannabisclinicians.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/CBDcigarettes.pdf

“24 smokers were randomised to receive an inhaler of CBD (n=12) or placebo (n=12) for one week, they were instructed to use the inhaler when they felt the urge to smoke. Over the treatment week, placebo treated smokers showed no differences in number of cigarettes smoked. In contrast, those treated with CBD significantly reduced the number of cigarettes smoked by ~40% during treatment. Results also indicated some maintenance of this effect at follow-up. These preliminary data, combined with the strong preclinical rationale for use of this compound, suggest CBD to be a potential treatment for nicotine addiction that warrants further exploration.“

Don't you wonder what would have happened if the study went on for more than just 7 days? Was CBD just working too well, so they ended the study ASAP? :confused_2:

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Yes I do but it is hard for me. The positive health effects of quitting smoking begin 20 minutes after your last cigarette.

8. #8 old shol4evr, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    delete

9. i use mine much much more for THC carts.. but i never really had the cig habit... i liked clove cigs more but never hooked in a chronic way.. the E-cig i've had for years is greenSmartLiving very cheap, very good but.. some THC carts require a more powerful battery...

10. I don't smoke cigarettes but I use a juul. Going without it isn't really a big deal, I don't use it all the time. I feel like it's a different mindset to use one then smoking cigarettes since you can just take a hit or two and get less nicotine compared to lighting up a smoke and then being kind of committed to finishing it or at least taking a bunch of hits off it.

Because of that I feel like it can be a good tool for someone who smokes who's looking to ween off.

11. you are still using Nicotine

I got a script from the doc and used Zyban,

big in Europe and easy as to stop nicotine addiction

you just forget to smoke ...lol

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  12. Any crazy side effects with that Zyban?

13. non that I know

I did try another that was very trippi

cheers/

• Like Like x 1
  14. 865 days since I smoked a cig because of vaping. The first week is rough because you're going to be missing the other 4000 chemicals in cigs besides the nicotine but after that it's fine. It took a few tries just like with every other method, and I went through 3 devices before I found the one that clicked. There's 2 different ways to inhale - mouth to lung like a cig or direct to lung like a gravity bong. The smaller the vape the more likely its a MTL, larger box mods with tanks are usually DTL. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I find it really easy to not smoke ciggs when I use a vape, I don't crave ciggs at all. I always find it funny when a family member or friend congratulates me on 'quitting' ciggs by using a vape, I'm still getting my nicotine fix it's not something I consider congratulatory. I notice a huge difference in my lung function and overall health when I vape compared to smoking. I don't get back or shoulder pains like I usually do, I can take bong hoots without coughing my brains out, I don't get winded. As soon as a go back to ciggs all of that shit comes back in a couple days, so I'm trying really hard to stick with it.

My problem was finding the right e-cigg, I was constantly breaking the large expensive mods usually from falling out of my pocket at work. I wouldn't be able to afford a new mod so I'd immediately go buy a pack of smokes. Or I would burn through a 5 pack of coils which cost of 20 dollars in less than a week because the puffs would taste like shit after the first or second refill. I would burn through a tank of juice in a couple hours so I was constantly refilling and getting the shit all over my hands. It was a constant chore and at the end of the day with the juice, coils, and replacing broken mods/parts I really wasn't saving much money compared to just buying regular ciggs.

Then I bought this cheap little mod called breeze 2 and its the best one I've ever used, the battery life is really great it last two days of constant puffing for me. The tank is really big so I'm not constantly refilling, it doesn't leak and it's made of plastic not glass so it doesn't break when I drop it ten times a day. Best of all its dirt cheap so if it breaks who gives a shit. Plus these new nicotine salts are way more potent so I find I burn through a bottle at a much slower pace than normal ejuice, same with the coils. Right now it cost me 120 dollars max per month for my habit, as with smokes I was spending 480 as smokes are ridiculously overtaxed in Canada now.

16. Quiting smoking is a very difficult thing. :smoking-banana:

17. Stop smoking for over 5 year plus years vaping. I don't know about all the dangers their talking about kinda thinking they're a false flag from the Cig. companies. But if you decide to get into vaping don't cheat yourself get a good Mod and tank to start off with. too many people get crapy tanks and smoke burnet cotton or weak mods that won't do the trick. Try looking in FastTech they have everything at rock bottom prices.

18. I quit with e-cigs. I actually used JUUL. I tried other e-cigs before that and they didn't really do it for me. JUUL is the one that sealed the deal for me. After that, because JUUL basically sucks even though it's the one that really helped me quit smoking, I switched to refillable pod systems and now I'm in vaper heaven with all of the e-juice options that the world has to offer lol. I think what really helped me quit though was the fact that the pods I was using with the JUUL, in the beginning, were 5% nic strength which is super high. I use less now but I think that kick to the face in terms of nic strength really helped me switch. I also stopped hanging with friends who smoked. I mean, I chill now but for a while I just couldn't chill with friends that smoked because I'd relapse pretty easy around them and be like "yo, let me bum a smoke" lol

Just to note, I have friends that have quit cigs by replacing the with herb, one called it a "crutch." I tried this strategy, didn't work for me. I have at least one friend that quit cold turkey. Not sure how they managed that. And my other friend, who passed away last year, actually got hypnotized and that somehow worked for them.

By the way, you might want to look at this study that found e-cigs to be nearly twice as effective as nicotine replacement therapies like patches and gum.

19. Yes. Absolutely. I haven't smoked in years now. It's been legit. I don't feel like garbage, don't stank to high heaven, breathe easier, and don't spend mad dough on nicotine. It's a lot cheaper, if you didn't know. I was a decade+ smoker so it's crazy to me that I'm smoke-free now. Still vaping a lot and even though I'm not doing fantastic cutting back on my vape use, I still feel way-way-way better.

Tons of resources these days to help you switch. There's actually a lot of government support in the UK. Depends on where you live how much support or resistance you'll get trying to vape, which is a shame because it should be 100% support if you're a smoker trying to switch. Way less harmful according to the UK gov's evidence review.

My suggestion: get a GOOD vape. Don't buy trash. Do some research. Get some input from vapers who have quit smoking. I say get a Vaporesso Zero cause it's the bomb. Use any nic salt e-juice you want with it. Find a good e-juice that fits your taste and get a couple of vape batteries instead of just one so you always have a charged battery. That last part is super critical if you're trying to quit smoking because if you can't vape you're way more likely to smoke, at least that's how it was for me when I was trying to quit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. This is a pretty old thread, but still relevant.
    I have been a smoker for about 27 years, I smoke 2-3 packs a day. For fathers day, my oldest son bought me an aegis legend box mod, a falcon tank, and two boxes of coils to match, along with a charger, and a pair of batteries.
    It's basically the setup he uses. He had gone through 4-5 before he found this setup, so he got the same for me.
    I have COPD. My oximeter readings are typically between 91-93%,and if I don't quit smoking, I'll be on oxygen by the time I hit 50.
    The juice he sent with the vape was 6mg. It made me cough like crazy, and was not working out. Going from cigarettes to vape isn't a natural thing, vapes like these are straight to lung, like a Bong hit. After talking to some folks, I tried some 3mg juice, and a lower wattage setting to start with. That was the ticket.
    I used to smoke 1 full pack a day just during work, I now smoke zero cigarettes a day at work or while driving.
    The key for me was getting it set up like a sissy, everything low power, low concentration so I didn't cough. Once I got that down, it's pretty easy.
    I'm down to half a pack of smokes a day, and I have since ordered another one for my wife. We quit alcohol cold turkey 1 year ago, and now it's time for cigarettes.

For me, keeping the nicotine steady is key. Nic from a ape doesn't hit as hard as a cigarette, takes a while for it to hit your system, so you have to remember to hit it every 5-10 minutes. If you do that, you will never crave that smoke, even after eating.

Hopefully my experience helps some of you take the plunge. Feel free to pm me if you're having issues, or are confused by the tech, I'd be happy to help my growmies kick this habit.
    Fwiw, my setup cost about 170 delivered with juice. Everything you need, and a bunch of spare coils. That's less than 3 cartons of cigarettes, so you can afford it.