Using copper to make a diffuser

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by LenoxMcQuad, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Let me start by saying that I am aware of the fact that copper generally shouldn't be used in bongs due to the fact that it can release some nasty chemicals that can be hazardous to ones health.

Now, that being said, as far as I know this is an issue related to heating the copper.

What I am looking to do is use a piece of copper tubing to make a diffuser. In fact I have already made it. It is a small diameter piece of copper with a plugged end, and several small holes drilled in it.

This copper diffuser is about 3.5" long, and heres the part that I am unsure of.....

The bong itself uses glass primarily [a glass bowl, with glass shaft and long glass tube] and the diffuser itself attaches to the bottom of an 8" length of glass tubing. The whole assembly is about a foot long. Also, the diffuser itself sits entirely submerged in water. So to put it simply, the diffuser will never really come in contact with any direct heat,

My only concern is that the smoke itself, or the heat from the smoke could still cause the copper to emit some kind of unwanted fumes. With the length of the glass assembly I can safely say the smoke isn't coming out hot, its longer than any standard pipe. Also the fact that the copper bit is fully submerged in water also provides some direct cooling.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Here is a picture just so you can see what Im talking about.

Yfrog Photo : yfrog.com/mqtubesj

Obviously the glass assembly is to the left and the copper diffuser is on the right.

What do you think?