using colloidal silver , how long for?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by wombat#, Dec 22, 2018.

1. This should help you out a bit,
    IMG_20190107_163959.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. I collect my pollen in a new seed envelope...like this.
    26685.jpg
    Then I put the envelope in a mason jar with a desiccant pack. I bought a large pack of 50 desiccant packs off amazon. It was cheep.

Leave in the fridge for about a week. This allows the desiccant to absorb all of the moisture from the pollen. Then into the freezer. If you freeze too soon the moisture in the pollen will freeze and ruin the pollen. Or so I've been told.
    I've done this with multiple males over the years. Works great.
    Good luck
    -Tommy

• Like Like x 1
  3. If i wanna get female seeds from one plant can i just spray one branch with colodial silver and let it pollinate the whole plant to give me female seeds? Has anyone done this successfully? And what brand of colodial silver did you use? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Yes, this would produce seeds. Some people claim these seeds will have more hermaphroditic traits. I have not seen this. I do see that if the plant you start with will herm easily...the seeds will be more likely to herm.

Remember a lot of elite clones are hermey mistakes.

I.E. Chemdog, OGKB, and I believe GSC.

-Tommy

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yes you can spray one branch to get male flowers and pollinate the whole plant - people do it all the time. As long as the female plant that you do it to is stable, your seeds will all be female and they won't be prone to hermaphroditism. There is a great tutorial on how to do it on www.growweedeasy.com.

An alternative would be to stress it so it's shoots out nanners for self pollination. Again, as long as the plant is a stable female you will have female seeds and not hermies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. what's STS?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sorry for the double post, gremlins..

8. yes, do it to a lower branch. I would start it when you change to 12/12, the branch will still make it's flowers with white hairs , just keep spraying every day .
    the plant that had 4 days of spraying before 12/12 is only just now beginning to make pollen for collection ,whereas the other plant is 3/4 finished popping its nuts.
    50ppm Ultimate colloidal silver from ebay, some say 30ppm is enough but 50ppm has worked brilliantly, I wish I'd known this sooner . DSCN3563.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  9. I had this debate a little while back, and "i was wrong". This is what take's place,

A Female plant that pollinate's "It's Self" will produce an XX Seed. Even though it has Male sex organ's, the Pollen is an X Chromosome. You will either get a Female or a Hermi. In this method you are inbreeding, keeping the same genetic's.

Two Female plant's, one "Pollinating" the "other" Female. This will produce an XX Seed. 99.99%. The Male Pollen is still an X Chromosome, in this method you are "changing" the Genetic's.

And there are "Two Methods" to achive this outcome through,

#1 Natural Rodalization.

#2 Chemically induced Hermaphroditisum.

The pollen contains only female, or X, chromosomes because the plant has no Y, or male, chromosomes. The progeny will inherit an X from the male flower’s pollen and an X from the egg donor female flower. The resulting seeds can only inherit two X chromosomes, which means that almost all the resulting seeds will be girls! Congratulations!

Now you got it! The plant that "pollinated itself" does have a higher chance of having hermie seeds, but if it's pollinated by another girl then Feminized seeds you will have.

Breeder's these day's dont Feminize Seed's through "Rodalization". As we have CS & STS Methods.
    The "Hermi Trait" is "breed out" over time, till it give's a stable strain. Accounting for the 99.99% chance.

10. #32 Digger, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Did you find the STS method interesting?

11. here is one R4 clone on the right having a bit of summer outside next to a sativa that is getting rather large considering it's only jan 9,it's stretched a good foot since I put it out . She was getting to big for the veg cupboard so I put it out on 23 dec. ,so it only sees shortening days. DSCN3565.JPG DSCN3566.JPG

12. oh yeah,
    the STS looks a bit fiddly , have you made it work to get bananas?
    I think the colloidal silver was about $30 and I used about 400ml for 2 whole plants that are about 700mm tall ,and am thinking of making my own which looks quite simple in some youtube vids .

• Like Like x 1
  13. some different samples of pollen
    this one looks a bit stale
    DSCN3558.JPG
    this one is a bit pale, maybe unripe
    DSCN3560.JPG
    here is a nice fresh yellow ,just how i want it
    DSCN3567.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thank you wombat and mick, looking forward to do this when i find a good strain

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. Were in OZ are you? im in Vic..

16. Colloidal looks easier

17. Mick correct me if im wrong but aren't natural females best for this method rather than females that come from feminized seed ? According to Jorge Cervantes, its the only way to avoid the hermaphrodites traits?

• Like Like x 1