Using Co2 from a paintball tank?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by The Baked Ninja, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Well i have a 20 oz old Co2 tank that i used for paintball. Could i use this Co2 on my plants? It only costs 5 bucks to fill. And i can just use a pencil to squeeze down on the nozel and release the Co2 in my grow space. Would the Co2 used to fill paintball tanks be any different then other Co2? Or is it the same? Im not to smart when it comes to this any paintball and growing experts help me out. Also just kinda wondering, the new HPA tanks could that be used to help my plants?

2. CO2 Is really something that should be leaked constantly.

If you did use a pencil to leak the cartridge that would work...but consider if your ventilation would move all of that CO2 immediately and waste it.

Maybe if you leak it, let it sit for an hour or so, and then turn on the ventilation it might work.

3. CO2 works best when you can measure it. If you are willing to get a PPM meter and CO2 controller, you should be willing to spring for a proper tank.

You might increase the ppm of CO2 in there for a little while, but I don't think you would be able to get it all the way up to 1500ppm which is what you want, and there would be no way for you to keep it up there consistently during your light cycle. It might only cost 5$ to refill that canister, but your money would probably be better spent elsewhere or saved up for a proper CO2 system.

4. While what they have said may be true, it wont hurt anything to do what you're describing. CO2 in a paintball tank is just like a big boy CO2 tank just smaller. Like they said though, unless you get creative, you may just be wasting it. To really be beneficial to the plants, it needs to stay around 1500ppm all the time. What you're describing will most likely let a bunch into the air, then have it vented right out in a few minutes.

5. That's actually one of the problems. How long do you think it would take to deplete that tank keeping the air at 1500ppm? I would say a day, 2 tops. Would you want to be filling a tank every day or every other day, even if it is only 5$ a fill?

6. That was my thinking too... Its the same substance, just a LOT less of it.

7. Only if you could change that 20 OZ. to 20 LB., which is about what it takes for an entire grow. And that's only if you're using it properly.

You not only need a PPM meter/controller, and a regulator with a solenoid & flow meter for the tank, but you'll also want an environmental controller managing the fans and CO2 equipment, keeping them in harmony. Otherwise you're pissing in the wind.

As has already been stated, you need an average constant of 1500 ppm for the co2 to provide it's intended effect. :)

8. I just use a 2 liter coke bottle with yeast and sugar. I run the tube through into the back of the fan I use to stimulate stem growth to make sure it gets blown onto the plant. It may not be helping much but it definatly isn't hurting it either...cheap as hell too and lasts for weeks...

9. I wish I had a PPM meter so I could test how much CO2 sugar+yeast actually emits. I have a feeling if you were growing a single plant in something like a 30 gallon rubbermaid tote if might have an effect, but anything bigger than that it's probably just wasted effort.

10. Unless i saw documented proof that sugar and yeast could sustain at least 1400 ppm, i wouldn't waste my time. I'm not saying don't do what you're doing, but i would need a ppm reading or a histogram or similar graph following a full cycle to try it myself. :)

11. You could be right. It's all about the volume of your space in relation to the volume of your gas source. As long as the room is small enough, it just might be enough to justify it. :)

12. I think someone should put this to the test... ;) hint hint. As for doing it...it's really just filling up the boredom I have while I wait on my little babies to grow... I have 2 now. one is bag seed and one is fem hemalayan gold.. wish me luck.

13. Ya, you could do that. But exposing yourself to the concentrated levels you may potentially release by manually expelling the gas may not be good for your health. Especially if done on a daily basis.

It's true that the levels of co2 needed to adequately supplement MJ growth (1500 ppm) are considered safe for humans, if you have no way of knowing the concentration accumulated in your space, you could over do it.

Playing with industrial gases is no joke. Just be careful whatever you do. No amount of weed is worth risking your health or worse. :wave:

14. Someone else will have to take up that challenge. My equip is not yet setup. It'll take me at least a 60 days till i'm ready to add it to my buddy's room.

If no one else has tried it or posted already proven comparative results by then, i just may throw u guys a bone and give it a test whirl.

Surely, this has been done by someone. Anyone? :)

15. I used a yeast+sugar generator on my first and second grows... I screwed way too many other things up to say whether or not it helped or hurt. From experience though, I can say that it looks a lot like a champagne or soda as far as how much gas it releases... The only way I can see something like this really being beneficial is to have like six or seven in a closet. Scale up for a bigger room...

16. my box is only 3'Hx2'Wx16"D so one might actually benefit my one plant..2 now..

17. There is a new product out there called Co2 Boost, which is the sugar/yeast thing taken to the next level.

http://www.co2boost.com/

It is basically an enclosed composting bucket, with an air pump that pumps the Co2 being produced to the grow zone. I have heard that it gets the levels up to 900 ppm, which still falls short of optimum saturation.

I would think that you would see minimal benefits from it, unless it was used in a small enclosed "stealth" cabinet. The same thing goes for the sugar/yeast thing IMHO.

Back to your topic though,Until you can spend the money and get the proper equipment, it would be better to make sure that your grow space is well ventilated and has a constant supply of fresh air circulating through it.

Good Luck in your endeavors though, whatever you decide to do......

chunk

18. HPA paintball tanks simply compress the air u breathe down into thew the tank. So It really won't help plants grow.

19. HPA = High Pressure Air. More like a compressor minus the pump/motor
    Not the same as co2. It will likely add extra oxygen to your space that your plants already have an excess of. :wave:

CO2 = Carbon Dioxide. A byproduct of the air we breathe, and other industrial/commercial practices (ie. the combustion of fossil fuels and other chemical processes). ;)