Using an old fridge as growbox?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by just_some_other_stoner, Aug 25, 2016.

1. So I'm getting this new used fridge, so i could throw my old one away. I already took out the compressor to use for my homemade vac chamber. And i figured, why not use the actual fridge body as a small 1 plant grow box?

The biggest appeal is the magnetic smell-proof air-tight seal, and the fact that it's a perfectly insulated pre made grow box with a door :) and it's stealthy too...

Also, it's almost airtight properties would make it a nice box for a "sealed" grow where the air is not vented but co2 is replenished?

I might consider doing a 1 plant LED DWC sealed SCROG grow with it...

Any opinions or experiences? I don't know the actual dimensions of the fridge, but it's clearly big enough for a single plant SCROG grow.

2. i did this as my first set up, chopped the middle out of a tall fridge/freezer but tried using a 400w hps (first ever go, well was going to be) and as it turned out the 400w was farrrrr to hot for the space, i had an exhaust but no intake so that couild of been the biggest issue, again first time didnt know shit about it.
    ive seen it done a few times, i think it would work spot on with led's tho
    needless to say i scrapped the idea when the heat started to melt and bubble the plastic inside the fridge and convinced my house mate they where fine in my room.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 just_some_other_stoner, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Haha, yeah 400w is a bit too much lamp for such a tight space. Even if you would be able to use a cooltube, my buddy runs a 600w HPS in a 10ft² growbox with a cooltube and separate fan just for the lamp and even then we still had problems on the hotter days!

I'm planning on building a DIY COB light of around 250-300w. I'd prefer to use more lower wattage LED's instead of just a handful of high powered ones to get better coverage. But i still need some funds for that... Just spent hours on tearing down the fridge and removing the freezer compartment. But i finally got it done! Gonna take a silicone gun to it the next day to fill up any holes.

It will be a negative pressure type of ventilation system. A fan will suck air trough an AC filter out of the top of the fridge, while air will flow in through several large holes with HEPA filters in the bottom of the fridge. Active out take, passive intake.

4. Im planning on doing a mega fridge growbox this winter... Going to use water cooled COBs to deal with heat. Im hoping to be able to run between 400-600watts of the new Vero29s.

Ultimately I plan on making one that is nearly fully automated from clone to finish.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Do you plan on running a closed hood? Or are you going to but just ventilating the fridge itself? If youre venting the fridge I feel it kind of negates the whole sealed environment idea.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nice! How big a fridge is that? I still actually need to measure mine after stripping it's intternals... It's size just looked about right to me :p I'm aiming at around 200w of COB led's.

I wanted to achieve that by using 10x 20w LED's on two water cooled rows of 5 LED's. But ended up scrapping that idea because of the extra implications, needing to rely on a cheap Chinese pump, breaking the water-below-electronics rule and not knowing whether or not to use water that was at room temp or chilled... A chilled cooling fluid would require a chiller and might cause condensation around the LED's?

I decided to jump to using 4x 50w LED's, that way each can have a CPU cooler and fan which is doable. Imagine 10 LED units in a small fridge each with their own fan unit, shit would take off...

Not sure on the ventilation yet, the easiest solution would be to attach an AC filter directly to a fan and have it blow the filtered air out through the back of the fridge using ducting or PVC tube, and having a large hole with a HEPA filter on the bottom as a passive intake. Or i could go sealed with CO² enrichment, but then i'd probably have to design and build a hood for the LED's... Not sure how much heat these create, but if they need a decent heat sink to prevent them from burning out i assume they get reasonably warm?

7. Any grow space needs ventilation. Is a small grow tent out of the question? They aren't that expensive and would save A LOT of guess work with a heavy ass fridge. Good luck either way. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  8. A tent I'd have to buy, a fridge i already have :) Well this one is already stripped and no longer has a compressor so it actually doesn't weigh that much anymore. It's sturdier than a tent, stealthier, better insulated, more soundproof, has an airtight magnetic strip door ect...

I'm thinking of using a 240m³/h tube fan sucking air out of the fridge thru an AC filter at the top and sucking air in passively thru an intake hole at the bottom. The airtight qualities of the fridge will make sure that ALL the air will come thru that hole, which will have a dust filter to keep my mylar and LED's dust free. At least that's the plan for now.

9. [​IMG][​IMG]

Here are a couple pics of the one I was able to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1