Using an 85w cfl in a small cabinet grow box?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Eviltaco13, Nov 29, 2012.

1. So I ordered this huge ass 85w cfl 4700k lumens 6500k spectrum and it runs perfectly fine in one of my current sockets. I really would like to know if I can use it in my small box.

It has no Mylar or anything, just an old cabinet about 4 feet high, 3 feet wide, 2 feet deep. It does have a small exhaust fan (Xbox fan lol) so maybe that would help keep the heat down. I really should have bought 4 23w Cfls but I was dumb and bought one big ass bulb haha. I hate to see it go to waste but I really don't wanna burn down my house

2. You'll want about 7500 Lumen per square foot at flower. You'll need to LST like crazy and get that bulb really close otherwise you're plant will have some issues and you won't get a huge yield.

Also at flower you want to switch or add a lot of 2700K light. 6500K only works for veg but your plants need both spectrum.

AZ

3. I'm still vegging right now, and an 85w cfl would be a HUGE improvement to my current setup. My main question is what's the risk of a fire or what not?

4. #5 azgrassman, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
    CFLs run pretty cool actually (Compared to other lighting setups). As long as your setup doesn't dry up or get too hot and your electrics aren't cheaply made you're solid.

What's you're setup currently?

If you wanted to be extra safe you could invest in an air-cooled reflector or a reflector with a lens but I think that'd be overkill.

5. It's extremely embarrassing, though for some extremely weird reason my plants look healthy(well at least one does haha). I really hope you don't laugh at it, it's 2 13w 6500k Cfls in a reflective white cabinet and an exhaust fan. They are small plants but they have sturdy stems and nice colored leaves. I definitely am going to throw the big bulb in tomorrow, my plants have been starving for like a week and a half haha

6. You'll see some huge gains once you add the light at first but be sure to not cook your plants. Maintaining a good temp is very important.

Also see if you can stop by a hardware store and pick up some 13w or 23w 2700K bulbs. They're cheap and you're plant will grow better in the mixed light.

Small economical grows have the ability to produce quality bud but it takes dedication and attention.

Good luck!

AZ

7. I have some 13w 2700k Cfls just lying around the house haha. Won't that force my plant into flowering? Or would the overpowering 6500k still make it veg. Thanks!

8. My understanding is that plants require both spectrum throughout their life cycle but the levels required change.

The different temperatures allow for different biochemical reactions and result in different products. Only giving one spectrum limits your plants ability to produce all of the chemicals it needs.

9. Alright. I was planning on flowering outside cause we still get at least 10 hours of nice sunlight but the ground has been frosting lately so unless I make a greenhouse to keep the soil warm and what not I will have to flower inside. What bulbs (Cfls) would I have to use?

10. 6500K for veg and 2700K for flower.

You'll want at least 100 actual watts or if you're going by lumen at least 8000. Also start looking into training techniques. CFLs don't have the greatest light penetration.

11. Thanks man, the way my setup is I can have bulbs all up and down my cabinet since I have a pulley system of sorts for the bulbs. When flowering time comes I probably will add some socket splitters to get on all levels of the plant