Using a Power Supply for PC Fans??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TehBigDoob, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Hey I'm trying to install two pc fans for my grow box into a power supply. How would I go about doing this if the power supply isn't plugged into a motherboard? Don't you have to have something to complete the circuit?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Just plug the fans into the 4-pin molex connectors, a motherboard isn't needed to "complete the circuit", it's more advanced than that lol
    I'm unsure on this but if you use a 300w power supply, does it use the full 300w? Or does it just use the actual power the fans use?

3. Both my fans are plugged into the molex connectors, and since the power supply is exterior from a computer all I have it plugged into is the wall, and I get no response from the fans whatsoever. I shocked myself twice testing to see if it was getting any voltage and, according to the voltage that ran up my finger, it is. Anyone that is using a power supply to power there fans have any suggestions?

4. i suggest scrapping the power supply idea and getting yourself a regular ole 12v power adapter. look around your house for an unused power adapter and on it, make sure its rated at 12v. cut the end of the adapter to expose the bare wire and do the same for the pc fan, attach the cable together and voila! trust me dude, i have tried with a power supply before in the past, the 12v adapter is so much better!

be well

Bp:cool:

p.s.: to hook up multiple fans to the same 12v adapter, go to your local radioshack and pick up some thin electrical wire. run the wire to all the fans and then attach to 12v adapter. i have 9 fans on (1) 12v adapter. if you dont have a 12v adapter lying around, go to your local thrift shop/ salvation army and go through their electronics bin, i can almost gaurentee you that you should find 1.

5. #5 walnut, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
    You can use wall warts... power adapters which convert AC to DC. Usually have some laying around the house from stuff that's been tossed. Always save those.

Or convert a PC power supply to a 12V supply...
    PC Power Supply
    http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm

Keep an eye on slickdeals.net to get one on the super cheap.

6. Very innovative...I like I like...what about over load " i have 9 fans on (1) 12v adapter " doesn't 9 PC fans suck up more energy than the 12v power adapter can ouput?.Im a newb when it comes to wiring or electricity lol

7. I use an Ac Adapter to 4 Pin Molex

8. you will find the max output in amps on the adapter. Always leave at least 100mA for reserves as otherwise you risk fire hazard. One pc fan mostly draws about 150-250 mA. So if you have 1A power supply, you should use no more than 4 fans to be on the safe side. But you can always use more of those adapters as they are very cheap :)

9. Get ya a small digital multimeter from lowes for $10 and measure the out put voltage from the power supply. Most power supplys are switchable meaning that there is a wire that must be connected to for the power supply to work. You can use this switching along with a old thermostat to control the power supply coming on and off when the temp gets too hot. Some power supplys also require a load to be on them for them to work good luck but there is tons on info online on how to convert a power supply to a bench test power supply follow those directions and you will be fine.

10. #11 Brainfog, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
    There is also a fan at RadioShack, that runs on AC power. You take a power cord with the 2 or 3 prong ends to plug into the wall of a house, and you just wire the fan to the + and -. No need for a 12v adapter, and has been good to me for weeks. NOTE: Always be very cautious when wiring anything electrical, and always electrical tape the ends of the connections, as well as shrinkwrap to avoid shorts.

11. There's a green wire that runs in that harness that usually connects to the motherboard. You need to ground this wire to something in order to get power to your fans. Just cut the green wire and ground it to the power supply.

12. just look for a 12v adapter that has 900ma and up :D and you will be fine

13. What he said. There are wall warts(looks like a wart on the wall) that put out a few amps at 12V. Goodwill usually has a bin of them. :)

walnut

14. look on the 20/24 min connector coming out of the power supply, it will be by car the biggest plug. there is 1 green wire on it. put 1 end of a paper clip into the green one, and the other end of the paper clip in one of the black ones immediately to the right or left of the green one. wrap this contraction in electrical tape, dont let them touch each other or anything else.