Using 2 13w 6500k 900 lumen CFL's for vegging

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Eviltaco13, Nov 19, 2012.

1. I know its not nearly enough, but I want to veg these plants inside a little before they go outside (It's still warm where I live and I get plenty of sunlight still). Will these lights suffice for vegging till they're about 1 foot tall? Thanks.

2. You may want to get some more light (2x at least). When I started mine they were under a few CFLs. By the time they were ready to start 12/12 they were under 8 CFLs. I always had my eyes open for socket splitters and a good deal on bulbs. I think it was four 23s, 1 68? (it was bigger than the rest) one 13 and... I have a whole moving box full of CFL stuff. Next time I will do MH.

My point is, start them under what you have then add on. Good luck!

3. Man, I wish I would have known that while I was at the store. Is it ok for right now? I might not get to the store for a while

4. They wont develop to their full potential, it might work just not the greatest.

5. you'll be good for a few days just remember to get more. think 100w per plant 50 extra for each additional.

6. #6 Eviltaco13, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012

Holy shit, that's a lot of energy per month. Anyone know how much more 150w running 24/7 will cost me?

Edit: So my 13w cfl's are equal to 60w equivalent. Does that mean both bulbs running combined are 120w?

7. 13w CFL draws 13w actual power, produces light equivilant of a 60w incandesent. You'll be fine, just keep adding on.

8. I have 6 23w and a 75w hps. I'm pulling 213w.. Not including my inline fan and pc fan.

The power draw is very close to a fishtank or computer running. You would hardly notice on your power bill till you get over 300w

9. Are fans necessary even if you have hole in your box and smell isn't a concern?
    Thinking about purchasing this light to start me off, could I simply plug this in to the wall and stick it above my plant? Or is wiring needed

Longstar FE-IIIB-85W 50K 5000K 120V U-Shape 85 Watt CFL Lamp - Light Bulb Surplus

10. #10 WickedSmoke, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
    Fans are just important as your lighting. To bring fresh air in. And extract heat and stinky air. You want the turn over rate atleast 3 times a minute.

Instead of using 2 fans one for intake and one for extraction I use a large 190cfm inline pulling a passive intake through my carbon filter.

That bulb may need larger light socket but should fit into a normal bulb socket. Will need to be wired either way.

11. what is wiring? I think I may just stick to about 3-4 42w cfls

12. That bulb will need to be screwed into a light socket, that said light socket needs to get hooked up to a lamp cord and then plugged in..

13. Ok haha I thought you ment like soldering. I have two lamps setup like that so ill probably just unscrew one and put that one in