Used Book Stores

Discussion in 'General' started by Wet Horse Lips, May 8, 2011.

1. I went into one downtown yesterday and walked out with three books for $36. One of the ones I found is easily worth that new, and it's still in great condition.

Found "The Technological Society" by Jacques Ellul, "Anticapitalism and Culture" by Jeremy Gilbert, and "America" by Jean Baudrillard. Saw about six others I wanted to snag, so I'm definitely going back. Totally unexpected purchases, but entirely worth it.

Who here loves used book stores? The owner even offered to locate books for me, so I'm going to give him my list of writing I need to read and see what he can come up with. I also went to Chapters today and if it weren't for my $15 gift card I've had for ages, the three books I got today would've been $50. Of course they are brand new, but something about finding books that are covered in dust and have been previously owned is comforting.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ive read Technological Society. Its a decent book.

How much did that cost you alone? And i love used book stores. :wave:

3. That book was SIX BUCKS. Didn't think twice.

Glad to know you've read Ellul. I've only had the chance to read the excerpts given to me by my professor, but now I have the entire work, so hopefully I can begin to understand Ellul's theories more clearly. I'm about 100 pages in now. Gotta keep taking breaks to reflect on each section.

4. I studied him a little bit in college.

And that book seemed like something that would appeal to me.
    and yes its alot to take it. It took me 3 weeks to finish that book. Reading everynight.

• Like Like x 1

5. More people should read into him, I think.

It's probably going to take me another few days, but more than likely something like a week. Oh well, I have a 20 hour Greyhound ride starting tomorrow, so I'm going to put in some time tomorrow too.

6. Used book stores are great. I just picked up a few Faulkner novels, so I should be occupied for a while.

• Like Like x 1