Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Use science to explain where the smoke will go

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by EuphoricApathy, Oct 27, 2014.

1. #1 EuphoricApathy, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
    [​IMG]
    So where will the smoke go Grasscity?

2. well i think according to physics heat is fluid, and it is what moves from a hot area to a cold area.  It isn't the cold that moves.  In that case the hotter air from the hallway should flow into your room from under the crack, and go out the window.

However, in practice it doesn't necessarily work.  Your best bet to minimize smell indoors is to smoke outdoors.

3. #3 sleepingblade, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    The crack will cause exchange because of pressure. Heat will go into cooler room and cooler air will go into heated room drawing in smoke. You could glue any sort of plastic to the door to cover cracks... say you don't like heat if they ask why.
    But yeah it'll go out both the window and the closed door.

4. Wouldn't the hot air coming through the cracks be an advantage(to help push the air in the bedroom out the window)rather than having the cracks sealed?

5. Sorry dude mama dukes is gonna smell the ganj

6. If you don't want it to smell too much, use a pipe. Joints stink like shit.
    Blow your hits directly out the window.
    Have the door locked and don't unlock it until at least 15 minutes after you've smoked.
    Spray a bit of deodorant around and have breath mint or some gum.
    It's not that hard to not get caught.

7. Haha,everyone kind of just assumes that this is about "not getting caught".(which it probably was for whoever made it) But, Actually,getting caught isn't really a big deal for me(at least not by my parents). I pretty much just sit on my bed with a pipe and blow it out my window.No one ever complains about the smell,because no one but me is ever really in my room.
    Anyways...I found this on an image board and I thought it was interesting because it got me thinking about how all these things interact,you know?

8. too many variables 

9. Simplify it some then. Remove the smoke even. How will cold,warm,and hot air interact with each other through areas that are connected by small spaces. Will the hot air squeeze through the door and get sucked out the window? Or will there be a relatively equal exchange between all the air. How does pressure and temperature variations effect these interactions?...

Lol fun stuff really. Or maybe I'm just really bored.
    Or maybe I'm just really high.

10. Hot air rises, cold air sinks. Then fan is helping to blow colder air down. Theres a counterclockwise cycle where the air is flowing in the house. In this situation eventually they will be caught.

The air rises in the heated room, some goes through the crack on the top of the door. Air in the other room is cold, plus the fan is pushing it down, plus a window adding to the loss of heat and speeding up the air flow. The air is then pumped into the heated room because that is the only area for it to go from the extra pressure from the air coming in through the top of the room and the air coming in from the window and the air being pushed down from the fan.

The key to avoiding smell is cross ventilation and blowing smoke out the window the air is naturally blowing out of. I have windows on opposite corners of my room with a fan blowing OUT of one of the windows. You can feel the air pulling in through the other. If you exhale in my room you can watch the smoke head towards the window with the fan because that's where the air goes naturally. Air flow, combined with a towel under the door keeps smell in.

To test airflow in your room light an incense stick and hold it in all spots where smoke might go you don't want it too. Vents, door cracks, whatever. Watch where the smoke goes closely. In this drawing turning off the fan and putting a bunch of stuff under the door would help. A towel does not block smoke, it just slows the air flow.

11. lol thanks for the diagram, you could use a window fan for sure. All that ceiling fan will do is mix up the air. Towel the bottom of your door and feel around the jamb to feel if there's air coming into your room. You'll want to get a current of air flowing into the room from the hallway that goes out the window, pulling the smoke with it.

#MSPaintSkillz

12. Best pic ever lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. Cold air is denser and will flow into the room, pushing the smoke back in.  Turn the heater off and get a more directed fan.

14. In your lungs

15. You might wanna roll a towel to cover the higher crack in the door, buy a table fan to direct smoke out of the window and a bong to minimize chance of lingering smoke. Just my .002

16. Do you have an ac vent or return vent in the room? That can transfer the smell throughout the entire house.

17. Lmao, that's going into the hallway.  Warm air rises, but cool air sinks, the incoming cold air will push all the stank towards the hall, because the warm rising air in the hallway will in effect be sucking the smoke out of your room.

It'll probably make the smell more intense, too.

18. Get a fog machine and watch where the fog goes. The smoke will follow suit

19. Why not both?

Sent from my N9510 using Grasscity Forum mobile app