USB Cable Electronic Lighter?

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by stoneremo, Jun 25, 2016.

1. So I was just browsing online and saw some diy lighters, but I know nothing about wiring or etc. So could one of you help me? I want to turn a usb cable (Female end) into a lighter? Like could I connect the ends of the wires and does that make heat or what?

2. This is what I have by the the USB cable, the red means power and the black means ground right?

Attached Files:

3. Sorry this ain't gonna work

at least not easy ...!

usb runs on 5 volts ...to here:

What is the power output of a USB port?
    The USB 1.x and 2.0 specifications provide a 5 V supply on a single wire to power connected USB devices. A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and 150 mA in USB 3.0. A device may draw a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0; 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0. 5 volt half an amp. (google)

tho you can get a spark at 5 volts / 500 milliamp theres not enough to make it combust, like a lighter,

that said theirs a heap of different stuff on usb these days like your coffee warmer pad,
    that with skill could be adapted, but altering it ...is a big deal

post your link with the DIY lighters to compere

good luck

• Like Like x 2
  4. What about if I got one of those car lighter things and stuck some batteries or something to that, would that work?

5. car lighters draw 12volts at about 4 amp //usb 5 volts at 100 milliamp ...avoid that idea

a bic is what you need

good luck

• Like Like x 2
  6. Just use a lighter. Plus without a flame, your wiring is gonna get dirty. There's a reason people use flame for heat most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. This. And just remember, there's no stopping you from drawing more amps than you intend to with things if you start trying to rig something up. Whatever you're getting power from is not going to like that

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1