US soldier on trial for murder

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SmokinP, Sep 28, 2010.

1. i posted this article on another forum and i already got flamed because apparently "these things are supposed to happen in wars idiot"

fucking people these days.

2. Lol I know right. Since when were soldiers supposed to kill civies and take their skulls and fingers. Talk about winning over the hearts and minds?:confused:

3. Wow, people are fucking retarded. You don't go around killing moms making fucking dinner for her kids, and shit. You don't torture a guy by having a dog bite his balls. That may be the way other countries armies' work. But Americas Army isn't supposed to do shit like that. But hell it's been going on.

I don't know if it happened in every war or what, but I sure as hell know it's been happening in Iraq.

4. being a soldier during a time of war is not dissimilar to being a victim of repeated sexual or physical abuse, as such they experience a lot of the same psychological blowback as a repeat assault victim. PTSD and all the shit that comes with it. in the day to day trauma that is their lives it is all to easy to revert to situational ethics, ie "what ever gets you through it, gets you through it". i really think these soldiers are another victim of the war. should they be punished, absolutely. are they individually evil....i kinda doubt it. but there is a mob psychology that takes place in situations like war. if the mob is headed by a broken or psychopathic personality.......

5. no disrespect but there is absolutly no justification for this shit. In WW2 soldiers had to go through the same shit. Some even worse. At least today we have technolgies, medicine and adequite supplys. WW2 soldiers had much more hardships and you dont see them murdering innocents. There were often enemy soldiers executed after surrendering themselves. But still thats not as bad as killing innocent women and children. And furthermore this act was planned. It's not like it was a spur of the moment uncontrollable adrenalin rush. They took time to plan and execute their ideas.

6. There we go. Even if you're in a war there's no excuse for the stuff some of our soldiers do.

7. You guys think that in WW2 everything was fine and dandy?

I have a feeling that perception may be a result of a lack of media coverage in comparison to what we have today.

This is why we need soldiers. Because regular Americans are too soft. This is exactly what people mean when they say that the public doesn't have the "stomach for war".

8. you are 4 different types of delusional if you think the soldiers in WWII were any different. or any war, ever for that matter. or do you think ,for some fantastically myopic reason, that humans are getting "more savage" as our society evolves?? the "winners" always rape and murder the civilians. it is always wrong, but it is the way it is.

do you think it is a coincidence that "veterans" rank among the highest demographic of homeless....mostly for psychological reasons. that shit fucks you up.... permanently. we send off boys to fight and get broken men as a return on our investment. those who come back unscarred were quite likely broken to begin with.

no where did i attempt to 'justify' their actions, nor will i. but, it is naive to cast them as evil. as they die in prison or by execution; it is, at the end of the day, one more dead soldier due to collateral damage.

9. Just to put this out there in relation to Spikolis prior post, soldiers (at least here) in World War 2 were RENOWNED for their brutality and trophy-taking. Aussie diggers would scalp Japs (keeping the scalp), behead the enemy soldier, boil the head until the flesh melted away and take the skull home. They also took fingers, toes, teeth and penises. At first this was actually encouraged, but then it was apparently realised that it's fucked up to go around mutilating dead bodies and taking the parts home so there was a stop put to it. It's still relatively common here (out in the country anyhow, probably wouldn't be so in the cities) for families to have skulls that their grandfathers/great-grandfathers took home. I've personally seen a Jap trophy-skull (with the date-of-death etched into it) that my friends family owned, in a cabinet along with my mates grandfathers war-medals, journal and photos. Positively lovely...

10. jeez all my grandpa took was a katana when he fought and killed.

11. Heres my opinion, whether you want to hear it or not....

War is brutal,

as far as enemy combatants, all's fair, kill Mame, murder plunder, etc.

As far as innocents, civilians, etc. they are off limits with no exceptions.

If soldiers are guilty of killing civilians for sport, i say we turn their asses over to the tribes people.

12. Here I thought we went there to help the civilians. :rolleyes:

13. Basically this.

14. i agree to an extent. i don't think that soldiers accused of murder should be tried by the military, unless it is for military charges (conduct unbecoming and all that shit) murder of a civilian is a civilian issue, they should be tried in a civilian court, domestic to the country where the crimes are committed.

15. i say trial by stoning.

16. Damn buddah, i cant rep you until i throw some around, but you saved me from making a long drawn out heated explaination.

Do you mean trial with stoning as a punishment option? Otherwise stoning a soldier would not prove whether he did anything wrong.

17. sorry i ment to say death by stoning. too high.

18. LMAO at the thought of our society evolving.

When we make life easy for ourselves, focus on entertainment instead of survival, create methods of amassing SURPLUSES of food, make fashion and satus more important than thought and ingenuity, etc etc, how exactly are we existing in a world with factors that drive evolution? Ill give you a hint. We aren't.

Our "evolution of society" Is simultaneously de-evolving the actual human. While im on the subject, ill mention that this pertains to what soldiers are doing on the battlefield. People now a days have no clue what its like to have to fight for resources, they have no idea what war is actually like, (until they are there, being told to kill) they have no empathy for the plight of other humans. To me it only makes sense that they would not empathize with the people they are killing. This applies especially to a generation of americans who have never had to fight for their livelihood, nor have they ever suffered the hardships that past generations have. Because of that, they lack the character ( self discipline as it applie here) and ability to understand a larger picture.

19. yowza, there is some CRAZY people right here in this god damn thread :D
    I am certainly the minority here, I'M A VETERAN, I served for six years, and I think assuming "over half" of soldiers are somehow unstable, or chemically imbalanced, or so insanely savage that they would readily rip off body parts is so unbelievably naive it makes me sick. yes, there of course are sick people in this world, and proportionately there are some that serve, and do terrible things, and give our army and our country a bad name. But most soldiers, myself included, serve not because the bullshit propoganda our government puts out, but because we want to help people, to protect people, and its one of the only ways we can see how to. of course I joined when I was young and naive, and didnt reenlist because I was older and not as naive and realized that soldiers have no voice, they just do what big daddy government tells them to.
    so the moral of that rant is this: 99% of soldiers are good honest people that want to help. if they had a choice they wouldnt be in some god awful country fighting, but they don't have a choice, they are soldiers by profession, so they go where they are sent.

peace :D