US CA: 'Medical' Mike's Home Raided

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by RMJL, Oct 1, 2003.

1. US CA: 'Medical' Mike's Home Raided

URL: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v03.n1463.a05.html
    Newshawk: California's DPR Forum http://www.drugsense.org/dpfca

Pubdate: Thu, 25 Sep 2003
    Source: Paradise Post (CA)
    Copyright: 2003 Paradise Post
    Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/3112
    Author: Laura Smith, Assistant managing editor
    Photo: Paradise resident Mike Nelson discusses Tuesday's raid on his backyard marijuana garden by the Butte Interagency Task Force that reduced him to 18 plants. Below, planters used to house marijuana lay empty after, according to Nelson, task force agents removed and confiscated the plants inside them. Photo by Nick Baker, The Post http://www.mapinc.org/images/MedicalMike.jpg

'MEDICAL' MIKE'S HOME RAIDED

Talk about a buzzkill.

County drug task force agents raided the Paradise home of a medical marijuana advocate Tuesday after receiving complaints from "Medi-cal" Mike Nelson's neighbors that he was providing marijuana for less-than-medical reasons.

And even while the agents uprooted and confiscated 62 marijuana plants from Nelson's yard and garage, they left him with 18 bushy marijuana plants tall enough to be seen growing two feet above his fence.

But that the drug agents didn't take all his "medicine" is little consolation for Nelson, who's 41.

He's sick with active hepatitis C and often in pain from degenerative disk disease, and said that even the 18 large plants he's left with won't yield enough marijuana for him.

"I smoke a lot of pot," he said, drawing out the vowels in 'a lot.' "I'm sick, and that's all that I can do."

Butte Interagency Task Force Commander Vic Lacey said his team arrived at Nelson's house Tuesday morning to perform a probation search of the Peck Lane home.

Nelson, who's on searchable probation for a DUI conviction, wasn't home at the time, but his girlfriend of three years, Michelle "Rusty" Crossley let them in.

The agents found 43 mature marijuana plants growing under artificial lights in Nelson's garage and thirty more growing outside.

Scattered about the home, said Lacey said, were several stashes of dried marijuana and a small amount of hashish.

Crossley, 35, holds a medical recommendation to use marijuana to relieve fibromyalgia.

Because Butte County guidelines for the raising of medical marijuana plants allow patients to grow up to six plants for their own use or possess up to a pound of processed marijuana, Nelson and Crossley would have been allowed to grow a total of 12 plants.

District Attorney Mike Ramsey said that Crossley claimed that part of the crop was for another medical marijuana patient, whose recommendation she couldn't find while the drug agents were at the house.

Usually, Ramsey said, he requires that caregivers have the recommendation of patients they're growing for on hand, but the agents made an exception.

"Out of an abundance of caution, they allowed ( Nelson and Crossley ) to keep enough plants for all three people," Ramsey said.

However, the "filthy and un-healthy" condition of Nelson and Crossley's home caused enough concern among the drug agents that they called Children's Services to respond for an investigation.

Crossley's three children -- a son, age 17, and two daughters, ages 15 and 12, were at school at the time of the raid.

Lacey said a Children's Services social worker interviewed the kids at school.

While they weren't removed from the home, the agency is investigating the living arrangements.

Crossley said that's what she's most worried about.

She claims to have never been in trouble with law enforcement before, and that she only started smoking marijuana with Nelson, to relieve her chronic pain.

Blind in one eye, she's on Social Security and disability and worries about her kids. They've never been in trouble before, she said.

"I'm a very good mom," she said. "Nothing is more important to me than them. They tell me everything. ... They don't use drugs."

Tuesday's raid seems to have knocked the proverbial wind out of Nelson. Usually a firebrand spokesman for the legalization of marijuana and the unfettered use of medical marijuana, he sat quietly asking questions in his garden Wednesday, near tears.

When asked why he was growing so many plants when he knew the county's medical marijuana cultivation guidelines, he said he was trying to hybridize a powerful form of the plant and had been experimenting with many different strains. He worries now about going to jail.

"I'm not a drug dealer," he said. "I'm giving people the help they need. People who are dying, with cancer, like your grandmother."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MAP posted-by: Richard Lake

2. THIS STILL IS A FIGHT ! I WON'T GIVE-UP !SAYS MEDICALMIKE MAY 16 2012 ANY COMMENTS CAN BE SENT TO MEDICALMIKE69@SBCGLOBAL.NET , OBBAMA LIED TO US WHO TOOK HIM AT HIS WORD SO I HOPE OBAMA WILL LOOK AT THE VOTERS HE NEEDS FOR ELECTION/2012 TO WIN IN 2012.PRESIDENT OBAMA NEEDS TO STAND BY & DO SOMETHING POSITIVE BEFORE THE ELECTION IN 2012,AS MARIJUANA IS MEDICINE AND THE JAILS ARE FULL WITH POT SMOKERS WHAT A JOKE ! CHANGE THE LAW &STOP PROVIDING THE DEA,feds &ALL MONEYS WASTED TOWARD MARIJUANA,AS IT WILL NOT EVER GO AWAY. MORE JAILS FOR POT ? WHAT A WASTE OF OUR MONEY ! PRES. OBAMA BE TRUE TO YOUR PROMISES OR YOU WILL BE POSTED A LIAR AS YOU DID NOTHING GOOD TO HELP THE SICK WHO WITHOUT MArijuana would waste away. SINCERLY,MEDICALMIKE NELSON 5-15-2012

3. epic 2nd post

4. he should have kept the house cleaner and follow the guidelines of what you are legally allowed to grow.. thats it

62 plants vs 12 plants quite a difference

5. Why do people think Presidents make laws?

6. You do know they don't, right?

7. #7 oltex, May 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
    Mike,,I am sorry too see anyone arrested for marijuana but it appears to me that you were growing more marijuana than you could consume,medical or recreational,,save the bullshit for the courtroom.

The biggest problem the medical community has is people that try to use medical marijuana as a cover to sell marijuana on the black market and if you were a true medical marijuana advocate/user,,you would not jeopardize your ability to grow your own medicine to make a few bucks,,if you want to be a green market grower,drop your medical cover and go undercover.

Thyat is what I would have said to him then and now,,has anyone heard of the settlement of Mike's case,,surely it is over by now.

8. No I just wondered aloud at the oddness of it because I'm with them.

9. I often wonder that also, maybe they believe we live in a dictatorship. WE make the laws, we outnumber the rich asshole's 99 to 1. The one thing they cannot do is out vote us if were united...

10. Well he did appoint the new DEA administrator who is against researching the therapeutic and medicinal benefits of cannabis. and i'm sure she probably had something to do with the raids in Cali...so just cuzthe pres don't make laws don't mean he cant help

11. not everyone that is rich is an asshole..

again with the fucking we are the end all be all 99 % bullshit...?

12. [quote name='"kush70"']he should have kept the house cleaner and follow the guidelines of what you are legally allowed to grow.. thats it

62 plants vs 12 plants quite a difference[/quote]

Yea i don't get what he is pissed about. They could have taken his ass to jail for being that much over limits. I live up here an didn't hear about It. All butte county mmj users better go vote No on A on June 4 or we are fucked. This guy would be allowed 1 plant if the new growing laws get
    Passed.

13. I agree, he should of never let his plants grow in plain sight.

14. :devious:

I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA DUMBSHIT & HELPED ALOT OF PEOPLE BACK THEN ! AND THE CALIFORNIA LAW STILL STANDS IN 2013 ! NO LIMIT ON GROWING AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A PERMIT OR IN OTHER WORDS A RECOMENDATION FOR MEDICAL MARIJUANA AS I ALWAYS HAVE AND NO NEVER DELT IT BUT GAVE PLENTY AWAY TO THE ELDERY OR PEOPLE TO SICK OR NO PLACE FOR A GARDEN CHECK MY FACTS.NEVER WENT TO JAIL OVER ANY OF THIS ! SO I MUST HAVE BEEN NOT BREAKING THE LAW DUMBSHIT :p :D PEACE,MEDICALMIKE STILL ALIVE & FREE IN AMERICA BUT NOWADAYS I GROW JUST FOR MYSELF ! AS I DON'T WANT TO PUSH ANYONE IN LAW ENFORCEMENTS BUTTONS ! I JUST GROW 6 FOR MY OWN ! :hello:

15. I AM AN ACTIVIST/ADVOCATE IT'S NOW 2013, THE STATE LAW HAS NO LIMIT ON HOW MANY IS THE LIMIT & AT THE TIME I WAS HELPING ALOT OF PEOPLE ! FACT ! GET A LIFE . NOWADAYS I GROW 6 PLANTS MEDICALMIKE ! :mad: :p :D

16. Keep on toking, mike. The government will never understand how much you helped those elderly/sick people by giving them some MJ

17. Yeah cali supreme court ruled plant limits unconstitutional in2008. Pretty sure they are the ultimate law of the land. Stay up Mike ur not alone in thiz fight for our freedoms. I would suggest sticking withinlimits though and being bit more discreet. I live in a county where our limits are more lax and they worry about hard drugs here not med gardens which there are many.

18. i think healthy people should stick up for these elderly sick people with thier arms before thier too old to do it forthemselves and noone;'s left remebering what to do

19. I am all for legalization and appreciate others who do as well. That being said.....

Is it just me or does MEDICALMIKE come off as some kind of ass with his posts?

No need to be a dick. CAPS? come on.... :devious:

No reason whatsoever for a home to be so filthy as to get DHS involved, either.
    You have 3 children who are capable if you are not.
    Or was that not the true nature of the case? :rolleyes: