*Urgent* Odor Control Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by qwertmonkey, Dec 1, 2009.

1. #1 qwertmonkey, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2009
    I'm growing one female that's about 4 weeks into flowering and is beginning to REEK. The plant is in a cabinet with a 9'' ventalation fan installed in the back. I made an "adapter out of cardboard and masking tape to make an adapter so the air will flow through dryer vent hose. (you know, the aluminum hose that's about 4'' in diameter.)

Anyways, the plant is in my room in the basement and the vent house it routed through a little access panel that goes to the unfinished area. (where the litter boxes are storage space so it smells like a basement.) There is decent flow through hose and I can't find any leaks in the ducting or adapter I made out of cardboard. It's sealed tight as far as I can tell. The only place that is not sealed is the door to the cabinet the plant is in. Its shut, but not air tight. I did not seal it so the fan will draw air from there and push the exhaust out the back through the ducting.

Now for the problem. My room, the basement, the staircase, the area at the top of the stairs, and the rooms to the left and right at the top of the stairs REEK of dankness. I mean, REEK. I cant believe no one in my house has said anything. The unfinished area where all the smelly exhaust is venting to smells completely normal. No even a hit of cannabis.

I have an ozone generator in my room running full speed 24/7. I also have those white disk shaped things that are citrusy that people on here swear by in the grow space. I've had it 2 weeks and have noticed no difference. It's shrunk to the size of a pepperoni and no longer smells at all. I also spray fabreeze air effects every day. It helps for an hour or so, but then it smells like a 1000 plant grow operation again. I jut bought a couple of those things that look like cones and have a wet jelly type thing inside. They are no help as well...

What can I do?? I know it's just going to get worse and when that happens I'll have to just chop her down and harvest what I can.

Thanks for any advice guys...

2. Go to 7/11, buy all the cans of Airwick

3. Anywhere they sell just about anything look for Ozium, try three or for stores i garentee youll find it sooner or later, stop n shops, auto zones, walmarts, aaa i saw some at a foot locker once,... its like "the industry standard" smells nice too...

4. Your best bet is a carbon filter dude. They are kind of pricey, but you can DIY one for under $50 bucks, carbon included. You should try that. You'll be amazed how quickly it handles the smell.

Don't cover the smell, remove it.

5. i use ONA BLOCK pro in side the box, the fan blows accross the top of the block and over the plants, and i also have a ghetto carbon filter made from a big ass can of hunts spaghetti sauce.

activated carbon 6.95 at aquarium store
    hunts spaghetti sauce 1.95 drill alot of holes in the side and bottom,
    pair of panty hose 1.00
    and a big aspirin bottle to fit on the inside making the filter kinda of a long donut shape with activated carbon between the aspirin bottle and hunts can, and is held in by pantyhose. then i stuffed that bitch in the exhaust tube.

only smell in my room is ONA

6. I have heard that ONA smell gets into your bud. I don't wanna be smoking weed that tastes like laundry detergent.

Carbon scrubber FTW!

7. The only people I've heard that from are people that don't use it and never have. I think it's BS.

8. the ANSWER to your question: An inline fan/carbon filter combo.
    My concerns: If i read your post correctly, you are cultivating pot in a house with other inhabitants, that are 100% un-aware of your grow?? your putting them at major risks, especially if you are doing this at a dwelling that is owned by someone other than yourself, i.e. your parents, wife, roommate(s), etc...
    Not to mention the health risks of what that ozone generator is emitting around you, and the other occupants.
    (like i said, IF i understood correctly).. WHY do you have the ozone generator in your room, when your grow (the source of the REEK), is in the basement???!

9. mc is right. ona and ozium work but they only mask not elimate odor. Wait until wk 6 when it really starts stinking. You'll have to rub Vicks on every nose.

10. #11 hipster, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009

BS. ONA neutralizes it, it doesnt mask it.

"If you took highschool chemistry you may know what a double displacement reaction is. It's when you have one chemical say H20, and NaCl. Now I doubt that these two chemicals (water and salt) would ever undergo double displacement, this is just an example.

The main idea is that the molecules seperate and switch up.

H20 + NaCl --> H2Cl + Na0

So when ONA molecules contact odourouss molecules they double displace creating two biproducts. An odourless, harmless gas, and the products scent (fresh linen, or green apple)"

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/144976-perfect-odour-neutralizer-2.html

11. lol :)

12. If you say so. Just because it say so and you believe it doens't make it true. Do you need one ona tub per plant?

13. #14 hipster, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
    I have an "ONA Machine". It's in my living/office area and covers the entire house. I've got a Veg Room and a Flowering Room. In a few weeks I'll have 9 mostly skunk in the Flowering Room and 18 plants in there after they finish.

14. Had one liter in the flower room with 6 plants. Poured some in the lid and set it on the opposite side of the room but my entire house smelled like dank. I noticed a bigger reduction in smell from plugging in one of those cheap $15 febreeze air filters, basically just a carbon pad w/fan.

Glad it works for you but my smelly problem didn't go away until the fan/carbon filter kicked on.

Is this the Ona machine?
    ONA :: Breeze
    The ONA Breeze has been redesigned and is now available at a dramatically lower price point. It is lighter and uses less power, and now fits on either the ONA Gel Pail or ONA Gel Jar (both 4 liters, 1 US Gal). This makes the ONA Breeze excellent value for the dispensation of ONA Gel.
    The ONA Breeze provides odor neutralization to a room up to 1,500 square feet (15,000 cubic feet) or 166 square meters (500 cubic meters). This period will vary based on the ambient temperature and the humidity levels of the room. The ONA Breeze is designed to be used exclusively with ONA Gel.

15. I use the liquid ONA, not that it matters. You don't have to have it so strong that the smell knocks you over to work. Mine is tweaked down and you can hardly smell it.

Here's how to build an ONA Machine. It's VERY simple...

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/144976-perfect-odour-neutralizer.html

16. Got ya, I have read that. Ona disappointed me so I didn't even try it. The dank smell was so strong that I felt like coughing after walking in my door which is why I tried to up the ona. I didn't answer the front door for weeks.

I wanted air circulation so the carbon filter and fan are exhausting into my lung room. This keeps the flower room at a slightly negative pressure drawing air in.

17. has any one tried those odor eliminating cfls?

18. has anyone considered the importance of my concerns (in my first reply to the OP), involving his health, and the health of everyone else in his home?? or am i the only one who can read the part that states hes running AN OZONE GENERATOR IN HIS FUCKING BEDROOM, WHICH I AM GOING TO ASSUME IS WHERE HE SLEEPS, AND RUNS IT "FULL BLAST 24/7"??!

19. LOL everyone is too worried about the sweet skunky smells to be concerned with others health.