UpsideDown Theory

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by GarbageMan, May 15, 2009.

1. So i see this commercial on TV for this Topsy turvy tomato plant thing that basicly grows a tomato plant upside down. of course my first thought is will this work on cannabis? if all your lighting is on the ground facing up i dont see why it wouldnt. it keeps the soil in a bag/basket kinda thing and u water it from the top, and its all suspended on a hook.

this would give an advantage in the space factor, which can be pretty variable in many situations. for instance, if you have a room filled with plants on the floor and the lighting above, theres a ton of space in the room being wasted or un-used above the plants (excluding lights), but if you suspend the plants from the ceiling this free's up now usable (and walkable) space on the floor (excluding lights). specially for poeple like me who have ceilings like this /¯¯\ rather than ¯¯¯.

also, somebody once told me a technique to double the amount of plants without buying additional lighting. this is done by dedicating 1 room to 24 hour lighting (light room) and 1 room to 24 hour dark (dark room) and physically moving the plants from 1 room to the other every 12 hours. the catch was at the time i couldnt think of a conveinent way to move them aside from installing actual wheels on each unit and carting them back and forth, which still didnt appeal to me seeing as how im dealing with thick carpet and various obstructions along the path from room to room.

but if this upsidedown theory works and the plants are able to grow like that, i could set up an array of hooks in both rooms and conveinently move them from one room to the next. also my closet comes to mind when thinking of how this could improve light efficiancy, similure to the concept of arena gardens, i could easily hang 3-4 more in the closet from the ceiling and just remove the hoods from my lights.

the only issues thought up so far are that your limited to soil, and someone mentioned the water runoff possibly becoming an issue, specially if your lights are right underneath, but i believe this is easily enough solved with adding a dishtowel or something at the base (it has a foam piece built in as well, but more soakage couldnt hurt)

Is this even realistic or am i just really stoned?when im laying in my bed at night stareing at my ceiling i cant help but think "i could have another plant there...and there...and there...". Any Thoughts? :smoking:

2. I've seen a few posts on these "topsy turvy's" and none of them thought it would work. I've even seen a grow on here with one and it didn't look good... but try a search for topsy turvy.

3. i thought about the same thing, but even if it did work, i don't see how it would be better, so i say keep it simple :)

4. Search button...been discussed ad nauseum...

5. roflmao:d

6. The topsy turvey wont work as the mj plant is not a vine I think and the leaves just turn over and the plant spends its time trying to grow up, like a j. However, the device you need is a "light flipper". You hook up one ballast 2 this device and then 2 hoods to the other side of this device. At 12 hours or whenever it just flips which hood the power is going to. So you have 2 rooms and one ballast. I think that the light flipper is about as much as another ballast though. Look into that. :)

7. no u have ur plants on the floor and the hangin on the roof with a 1000 watt in the middle of the room no shade should be loads of light for up and down no?

8. #8 Wö£fëñxXx, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
    The misses has a topsy turvey she bought at Wal Mart for growing tomatoes, it works
    of course, but the plant is obviously hanging upside down, and it curls back up reaching
    for light.
    The positive side of this is once the plant starts producing fruit/tomatoes, the weight of the
    fruit pulls the branches back on the down side.
    Otherwise, as you may know, growing tomatoes the plant has to be tied up while bearing
    fruit.
    It would work for growing gonja if you don't mind your plant curling or being blinded by light
    laying on ground facing up. lol
    Not for me.

My misses is a sucker, she will buy almost any damn piece of shit contraption against my
    better judgment, dumbass-high dear :wave:

9. well the grow light in the middle of the room no light behind it so y would it curl up when the light is below it? plants on the floor plants on the roof light in the middle no shade 1000 watts for lots of light? no good?

10. It will work as long as it gets light, its not the best method for growing weeds of any kind
    because of Earth's gravity, they will still curl somewhat, the maker of plants and things didn't
    design plants to grow topsy turvy, even though they can.
    It would be like you hanging topsy turvy for and extended period of time, it will screw with
    your chemistry, its not how you were designed to function, even though you could do it.

11. with the light on the floor that would be some funny shit to try. I saw it outside and it slipped my mind to put the light on the bottom. I wonder. . .

12. #12 GarbageMan, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
    thanks for the respones! i shoulda searched before i posted this, i apoligize

i still dont understand why it would curl if the lightsource is below it, it also wouldnt be too hard to help it along alittle to shape how it needs to be since everythings suspended, including the branches/leaves. might be easier with a lowryder strain.

also if you timed it right you could stop watering it before harvest and let the whole thing dryout upsidedown like that.