Upside Down CFL problems?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Broyse22, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Hi all!

Just built my first grow box and have had two Meijers brand natural white 42w (150w equiv) CFLs running upside down for 2 nights on my single sprout. Checked this morning and one of the bulbs is not working already!! Are these bulbs made to work upside down? Has anyone else had problems with this size or brand? It looks like pretty much everyone hangs them upside down and i never read of any problems. Thanks in advance.

2. Yea Im pretty sure they can run in any angle, you prolly just got a bad bulb.

3. Must have been a bad one. I know ive had smaller CFLs lit upside down in fixtures in the basement for years.

4. Had to be a bad one. There is no reason the bulb would not function at different angles. I'd stay away from that brand.

5. hmmm i was just in Lowes the other night looking at bubls to put in my cab and i saw on the back of one of the packages it had a diagram saying not to run them pointed down or sideways, only straight up...made me wait and do so searchin before buying. still haven't found out why though